LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Taking the plunge!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
tomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Thomas
tomonian77's Tacoma Gallery
Taking the plunge!

So I have finally decided to start the MOD process on my 08 DC. Time permitting I will paint my rims black as well as the grill emblem and all other chrome emblems on the truck. I haven't decided if I will paint the rims on the truck or remove them to paint. As far as the grill goes it is already black so just doing the emblem should be suffice. I am kinda hesitant about the other emblems because of the difficulty removing them. I know I should just buy an extra set just in case but who wants to do the smart thing huh?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Seasoned Newbie
poff1986 will become famous soon enoughpoff1986 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brad
poff1986's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, have fun...theres so much stuff to mod. i have no idea where to start lol, cant wait to see!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
tomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura abouttomonian77 has a spectacular aura about

The only problem I may have is the cold front that just blew thru. It may slow the drying process on the rims.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonian77 View Post
So I have finally decided to start the MOD process on my 08 DC. Time permitting I will paint my rims black as well as the grill emblem and all other chrome emblems on the truck. I haven't decided if I will paint the rims on the truck or remove them to paint. As far as the grill goes it is already black so just doing the emblem should be suffice. I am kinda hesitant about the other emblems because of the difficulty removing them. I know I should just buy an extra set just in case but who wants to do the smart thing huh?
Theres a thread for debadging the truck. If ya can't find it just get yourself a hair dryer (helps soften up the adhesive) a plastic scraper ( or dental floss or fishing line ) and some goo gone Don't worry the goo gone won't remove the paint After you remove the badges and clean it all up with goo gone, make sure you wash the areas really well and wax the shit outta it!! I heard the goo gone can remove your clearcoat
Old 10-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #6

Unfortunatley it looks like I may have to postpone again. My mother has decided she wants to buy a new car and guess who has to go and pick it out for her and deal with the swindling car salesmen. Updates when I have them.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
remove the rims

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html

remove the rims, its the only way to get into the openings. see how i did mine above.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #8

I dont have stands so I will have to do 1 rim at a time, time consuming.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonian77 View Post
I dont have stands so I will have to do 1 rim at a time, time consuming.
maybe BUT it comes out right
do it the right way and take your time
Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #10

I know I know. I still hope to get it in this weekend. The emblems at least.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #11

Hard work does payoff!

Taking the plunge!-dsc00922.jpg

Taking the plunge!-dsc00926.jpg
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #13

To do the rims and emblems it took most of the day. The actual work time was only 3-4 hours but the dry time took the longest. The most tedious part was cutting the tape for remounting the emblems. For the rims I used a rustoleum primer and rustoleum flat black for the paint. On the emblems I used Krylon for plastics, flat black as well.