Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Poplock (PL5300) 2009 Tacoma with Cam -Install Tutorial

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #41
Tacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of light

Tacoma-09's Tacoma Gallery
BTW: I'm done with my POP-LOCK - the PL5300 - Worst lock I have ever had on my Taco. I have removed it and gone back to the factory fitted handle. The pop-lock would not open all the time, it would work for a while then stop working for no reason. I re installed it, it then worked for a week then stopped working. I'm done with it.

If anyone wants to buy mine feel free to make me a decent offer. I have all the pieces screws and everything packaged nicely back in the factory packaging sitting in my garage.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #42
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma-09 View Post
BTW: I'm done with my POP-LOCK - the PL5300 - Worst lock I have ever had on my Taco. I have removed it and gone back to the factory fitted handle. The pop-lock would not open all the time, it would work for a while then stop working for no reason. I re installed it, it then worked for a week then stopped working. I'm done with it.

If anyone wants to buy mine feel free to make me a decent offer. I have all the pieces screws and everything packaged nicely back in the factory packaging sitting in my garage.
sorry to hear it did not work out for you after such a great post. I just ordered mine from truckalterations.

anyway, what is the purpose of rerouting of the cable if, based on the picture, it seems to end up in the same spot ?

thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #43
Tacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of lightTacoma-09 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually it does not end up at the same spot. The factory position for the cam is on the right hand side of the handle, whereas the pop-lock location is on the left hand side of the truck, hence one needs to re-route in order to get the extra length needed by the pop-lock
Old 01-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #45

Thats half of it. Yes it used to lock while I'm driving.

1st: When I unlock it, the key would stick. (Really... These locks cant even get it right so that a key does not stick when you unlock it. I thought the lock was what Pop-Lock was all about.) Anyway the sticking key I knew about so I over looked that.

Then the unlocking when I'm driving got a little annoying, then the "If I rattle the handle enough" it would lock or half way lock, was even more annoying. But the fact that I would go to open it and it simply did not pull the two metal rods back enough to unlock the tailgate... that is what drove me to uninstall and go back to the factory installed handle. There I would stand yanking away at the pop-lock trying to get the damn thing to open up my tailgate in the rain! this was not a pretty site.

There was only one thing I was expecting from this lock to do. That was to lock my tailgate. It failed

Now I intend to spend thew $1000.00 and get a solid cover for my truck.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #46
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I am trying to install the pop n lock, and can't figure out how to remove the camera wire harness.

I noticed in this instructions, there is no step to transfer the gasket from the old handle to the pop n lock handle.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #47
ok, I was able to get the camera harness off.
The picture in the instructions was pointing to the left side instead of the underside. finished installing and working fine so far.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #48
Waking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaking the Dead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Waking the Dead's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone else think that Toyota should offer some kind of lock for the tailgate anyway, since they probably know the tailgates get stolen?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #49
biketom555 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
biketom555's Tacoma Gallery
Installed mine today -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma-09 View Post

Tacoma - 09

Thank you for the great write-up/tutorial.

I agree, after having just installed this handle 2 hours ago, I am not crazy about the way it feels...not a smooth feel like the factory handle. I'll give it some time since I do like the color match.
Attached Thumbnails
Poplock (PL5300) 2009 Tacoma with Cam -Install Tutorial-img_1667.jpg  
Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #50
I too experienced the problems described. Comparing to the original handle, the original has lots of grease/lubricant while the pnl looks dry. What would be a good lubricant to use? Has to be thick, like Vaseline. I think the malfunction is partly due to temperature change. The only reason I am still using it is I need the tailgate locked and there is no other replacement handle with lock.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #51
kevin46 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kevin46's Tacoma Gallery
great write up, Mine is ordered, due here next week. I will use this to help me. Thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #52
BMichel is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
BMichel's Tacoma Gallery
Just what I was looking for. I just bought a 2010 and was looking for a way to secure the tailgate (w/camera). I saw the Pop & Lock but was also told of hose clamp and washers on the cable posts. Now I just need to decide if I get the standard or power lock model. Your walk through is very helpful.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #53
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Just got mine and installed it. Here's my review for anyone who cares. I put extra pictures up that could help some people.

Also: There must have been an update on the PL5300 since the material I got is not flimsy at all and there doesn't appear to be any way in which it could unlock itself by the look of the design. However, I can see it auto-locking if the little spring next to the washer gets weak in the future.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #54
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Wish it would work with the 2008 Tacoma, it looks so nice with the little backup camera built in. Exactly what I want..
Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #55
I found out that in case you are unable to open it no matter how hard you pull, the trick is to give the tailgate a slight push in, and while pushing it in, that handle will pull out quite easily to open the tailgate.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #56
Go Pack Go!
hawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawkeye12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Bryce
hawkeye12's Tacoma Gallery
WOO HOO!!! I didnt think any other Florida Panthers fans existed on this planet!!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #57
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I found out that in case you are unable to open it no matter how hard you pull, the trick is to give the tailgate a slight push in, and while pushing it in, that handle will pull out quite easily to open the tailgate.
I gave you a at-ah-boy on that. I've never had a problem but a lot of people have. Hope they all read your post.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #58
kbx10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! I might have a little more confidence in doing this now!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #59
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #60
bonsai3s is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
bonsai3s's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up! I'm a newbie and seriously thinking of buying the Pop and Lock for our 09 Tacoma TRD Off Road...problem is my wife purchased a chrome cover for the tailgate handle. The chrome cover was designed with the hole for the camera on the right side of the handle. Installing the Pop and Lock would move the camera to the left...making the chrome cover useless. Is there a chrome cover for the tailgate handle, with the camera on the left and Pop and Lock installed. Thanks guys.

Products Discussed in this Thread