Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How long before waxing

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #41
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
After i got my tailgate repainted at the dealer after an unfortunate incident with a tree, i have noticed swirls in direct light. was this from a poor wax job or a buffer or what? they dont go away when i wash it. is this something i'm gonna have to polish out? cause i really dont want to do that. or will the swirls fade with time?
The body shop got careless with the buffer. I see this on people's cars all the time.

A fine polish will fix it. It won't go away by itself.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #42
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
After i got my tailgate repainted at the dealer after an unfortunate incident with a tree, i have noticed swirls in direct light. was this from a poor wax job or a buffer or what? they dont go away when i wash it. is this something i'm gonna have to polish out? cause i really dont want to do that. or will the swirls fade with time?

Take it out at night and look at the paint under flourescent lighting. You'll really see the swirls!

All those swirls are teenie tiny fine scratches in your paint.

Basically the only thing that'll get 'em out is a little elbow grease with a high quality polish. A buffer, in the wrong hands, can be detrimental in more ways than one.

Car washes (mechanical) net the same result. I don't care if they're "touchless" or not. The quickest way to destroy the factory shine on your paint is to take it to a car wash. Period. End of story.

Do it by hand.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 AM   #43
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Every time the snow melts it looks just fine.
Berore I got the roo guard with police push bars I found out that the fenders are plastic. Don`t nudge a gate with them.
The dealer fixed the sratch, No problem.
It won`t happen again.
The push bars have about paid for themselves.
I helped a lot of people.
Good will is beyond price.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #44
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune10 View Post
I quess I don't understand why you want the water to bead up, isn't that where water spots come from? Why wouldn't you want to use something like Dura-Shine that sheets water away with no water spots. I used this for years on my Ford truck and when I traded it in it still looked new, whith a great shine.

In my opinion, water beading up on an unprotected car and drying is bad. Because when it dries, I see a crust of mnerals and it's hard to get rid of. Paint looks and feels damaged and visable roughness.

But, water beading up on a protected car is a good sign that the was is still working. When it dries, it's easy to remove with no apparent damage. Feels smooth and looks the same.

On a protected vehicle, beading leads to sheeting.

I'm sure you can debate the virtues of beading vs sheeting, but in either case, I feel it's just the particular qualities of the wax exhibiting themselves, but in either or both cases, it's a good thing that indicated the stuff's working.