Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How long before waxing

Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
tune10 is on a distinguished road
tune10's Tacoma Gallery
How long before waxing

Hello Everybody!
New to the world of Taco's, I just picked up my 08 DC Sport. My question is how long should I wait before waxing? I have heard 30 days or right away. I use Dura-Shine and love the stuff because it doesn't leave water spots. I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, but like I said new to the Taco World.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I have no intention to wax.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Sure; it won`t make any difference. Why waste the time?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
I'd wax it. Dealer probably just used some shine spray. Waxing does make a difference. My previous truck's paint looked perfect after 6 yrs of abuse. I do mine 3-4 times a year, actually did mine last night (wish a I took a pic) cause it went right back into the snow, salt, and sand of NY winter roads today.
An hour and a couple beers... its worth it if you plan on keeping your truck a long time.

Dont forget the blocking skills you'll pefect in the process Daniel-san.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormhole7 View Post
Would you mind explaining why? Just curious.
I haven't done it yet, but was thinking I probably should.
I dont intend on ever waxing my truck. its way too much of a pain in the ass. My truck gets washed every 2 or 3 months but thats it. i dont have the time or patience to spend all day making my truck sparkle. However, i will get it detailed a every so often and have someone else wax it. I'm just not gonna take the time
Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You can probably do it anytime.

I mean - from the time the truck actually got painted till the time it actually got on the lot and sold to you, is probably plenty of time for the paint to cure.

Besides - when you buy the truck, the dealerships never tell you anything about waiting...

I was rear-ended back in August and the entire passenger side bed had to be clear coated (over top the paint repair). They told me to wait 3 months before putting ANY chemicals on it (including soap).

We've been using Zaino on our vehicles. Great stuff.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
The weather can wash it. Forget wax.
It will outlast me.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I dont intend on ever waxing my truck. its way too much of a pain in the ass. My truck gets washed every 2 or 3 months but thats it. i dont have the time or patience to spend all day making my truck sparkle. However, i will get it detailed a every so often and have someone else wax it. I'm just not gonna take the time
Aside from washing my truck every other week, I am in the same boat. Some one else can wax it for me. I will just keep the bird poop and mud off of it. Well, I may let the mud stay a while...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Aside from washing my truck every other week, I am in the same boat. Some one else can wax it for me. I will just keep the bird poop and mud off of it. Well, I may let the mud stay a while...
mine is dingy as hell from the last (and only) snow we had about a month ago. i need to wash it soon
Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
erock is on a distinguished road

erock's Tacoma Gallery
I do every three weeks or so. More in the Summer

I just go down to one of those spray and wash places. I spray on the wax. Not sure if it does any good outside of a day but it makes me feel like I really did something useful. Otherwise, I just buff out problem spots where my dog had his paws haging over the bed.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I waited three weeks then washed, polished and waxed it.

Got the paint treatment but when I rubbed my hand over it, it was still a little rough and I could hear the particulates.

I clay bar'd it and it's glass smooth. Then I used Mequired polish. It states on the bottle that it "offers no protection". Just a shine enhancer.

Final coat was going to be Klasse, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, used Meguier's NXT and am very happy with the result. water beads, sap just rubs off and it's glass smoot and protected from UV.

Will do same in one month. But this time cover with Klasse AIO then glaze sealer.

I fugure 12 washings a year is not too much work and the wax makes it easier to wash. Takes maybe 3 hours total.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I waited three weeks then washed, polished and waxed it.

Got the paint treatment but when I rubbed my hand over it, it was still a little rough and I could hear the particulates.

I clay bar'd it and it's glass smooth. Then I used Mequired polish. It states on the bottle that it "offers no protection". Just a shine enhancer.

Final coat was going to be Klasse, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, used Meguier's NXT and am very happy with the result. water beads, sap just rubs off and it's glass smoot and protected from UV.

Will do same in one month. But this time cover with Klasse AIO then glaze sealer.

I fugure 12 washings a year is not too much work and the wax makes it easier to wash. Takes maybe 3 hours total.
I plan on keeping this truck waxed up and nice too. Ain't nuttin wrong with waxin or polishin.

I've gone through my stages of vehicles. My first tacoma we bought used(96) and I never waxed/polished it. It went offroading often and got streaked up anyway. Then, the jeep came along....hell, it's still got dirt on the wheels from last MAY. And now....this tacoma is my pride and joy. It's something I wanna keep shiny and looking new forever.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
gsm will become famous soon enoughgsm will become famous soon enough

gsm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I applied the first wax within the first month of ownership.

Water restrictions prevent me from washing mine as much as I'd like. As for the waxing, my wife does a good job . Unfortunately she's only 5' so I still have to reach the middle of the hood . I'm working on a way for her to reach there too!!

Seriously though, wax is an essential longevity tool to keep the finish looking at it's best longer. And I want my Taco to keep looking good. That's my baby.

Nobody would want their wife to have a rough finish and look as if rode hard, why would you want to be seen in your Taco in such a shape
Old 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Wax it until your hearts content. I do mine 3-4 times a year, looks great and makes me feel good about it, it's your investment, take care of it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. Waxing is easy if you use the right products and tools. I wash just about every weekend and I wax every 3 months and I use all Meguiar's products (NXT comes off easier than any wax I've ever used).
Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I was rear-ended back in August and the entire passenger side bed had to be clear coated (over top the paint repair). They told me to wait 3 months before putting ANY chemicals on it (including soap).
I agree with Janster. I remember when I hit, err... I mean a deer hit me in my 97. The body shop said the same thing. Actually the paint takes even longer to cure, but the clear coat only takes ~3 months. If you wanted to get all scientific and crap, you could look at the built date on the driverís door. This will tell you exactly what day it rolled off the line.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #18
deer_pop is on a distinguished road

deer_pop's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck has been baked from the factory. Hit it with the Mothers or Meguiars ASAP in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #19
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
Sure; it won`t make any difference. Why waste the time?
I agree with you 100%
Old 02-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
i just did mine last weekend after having the truck for a little over 3 weeks. i used menzernz products from http://www.properautocare.com/and it turned out great. i have used them in the past and always been happy with the results. get a buffer; it will make it go a lot faster. also make sure you clay bar the truck first. you will be suprised at the difference it makes.