1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disable ABS for heavy snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 12tinker, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    12tinker

12tinker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road
    engine swap (stuck valve @260K)
    Greetings follow taco friends,

My 1st post here, thought I would donate some usefull information, well maybe....

I have a '08 off road and discovered that on a hill with deep fresh snow my ABS increases stopping distance for sure. I did a test with and w/o fuse in repeatedly on my steep driveway in VT with 6+" of fresh stuff. My other two Tacos (87, 97) far surpassed braking in the snow!

I did a seach and found that someone illustrated that you can ground the blue/yellow wire that comes from the electric locker sensor to fool the ABS computer that you have the locker engaged (it turns off ABS under normal operation like 4WD low with diff lock on) Why toyota needs to do this, I have no clue. The note on the visor says to get out from a muddy road in an emergency, ha!

Anyway, I put in a switch hidden inside the change box. Instead of running it from the ABS unit under the hood, I found the wire in the bundle that goes through the chassis grommet under the drivers seat, just pop off the plastic threshold on the carpet by the door and use one of those snap on wire taps and a bit of plastic wire loom to protect the wire as you run it up to the switch then to a ground. when you ground the wire, the abs and diff lock light comes on the dash, so you can't forget to turn iyt off for regular on road driving.

Note: For OFF ROAD USE ONLY. The ABS on this vehical sucks, but it will keep you going straight. How far, who knows, but at least straight.

What ya all think??

2. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I'm curious, happen to have a schematic of the circuit? It almost sounds like the gray wire mod on the "1st" gen Tacoma's.

I've got a 2008 FJ and have learned a lot about the grounding of this wire and unplugging of this plug but with a schematic of the circuit it's (for me) hard to see and understand what you are talking about.

Edit,

Never mind. I understand what you did and why. Exactly the same as the gray wire mod on the pre 2005 Tacoma's. I'm looking at doing the same thing. Making the option selectable with a SPDT switch.

As for the ABS. Never had a problem on my 2005 Tacoma. Even wheeling, seemed to work as expected. I've got a 2003 Tacoma and a 2008 FJ, both with ABS and both act the same in the snow and ice, with the exception of the FJ's VSC in 2WD

3. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    12tinker

12tinker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road
    engine swap (stuck valve @260K)
    I just did a search on disable abs, then poked around by the rear diff to confirm the wire color. I would find someone that has a scematic or had sucesss on the mod for your vehical. Good luck, maybe someone here knows the FJ

4. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Like me? I've got the FSM's for both the pre 2005 Tacoma's and the FJ. There is and option or mod for bypassing the locker's engagment under 5mph on the 2005+ Tacoma's. I Think its called the violet wire mod.

Found this on Ih8mud.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Glad that you feel more comfortable without ABS. I doubt you'll find anyone anywhere that would tell you ABS decreases stopping distance- but it does decrease the chance of spinning.

Best of luck...

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Last winter I pulled into my driveway full of snow. No problem I have a Taco with 4 wheel drive, wrong. Problem, put on the brakes and almost went into the garage door thanks to ABS. I have a 2000 SR5 stick. B 4 I go poke'n and hope'n, will this mod work 4 me?

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    4WD does nothing for stopping. It is amazing the amount of people that think that they can drive normally in snow because they have 4WD and/or ABS. I always laugh when I go by someone with a 4x4 in a ditch-especially after they just passed me.

8. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Well I guess my point was lost. I had no problem pulling into the driveway because I have 4WD. I didn't say 4WD would help me stop. The problem was stopping because the ABS pulsed until I almost hit the garage door. I've been driving long B 4 ABS was even a thought so I know how a truck or car stops in snow without ABS, therefore I know I would have no problem stopping without ABS so I wanted to know if I could do the mod on my truck.

9. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    ABS is supposed to allow for a 'controlled' stop. It doesn't necessarily help you stop.

It's supposed to prevent the wheels from locking up. And that - is supposed to allow you to have more control of the vehicle (steering).

In the snow, the wheels will lock up a lot easier with minor brake pressure because the surface is too slippery otherwise. If you're going too fast to begin with and apply the brakes a little bit too hard, that ABS will kick in.

10. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I'll be keeping my abs for the snow

11. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    4X4 will not help to stop with brakes, but down shifting in 4x4 does a hell of a lot more for you.

12. Oct 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    Black Rock Taco

Black Rock Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnemucca and Reno, NV, Oakland CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DBL Cab Tundra
    None, yet
    Here's another old timer (Pre ABS, almost 48) that agrees ABS is a BAD idea in SOME situations. For most daily driving, it's wonderful. I'm positive it's saved a lot of trashed vehicles and lives.
    In a severely limited to no traction situation it can be disaster. In these situations the driver needs to be in control, and know that their vehicle will do what he asks. The driver is still likely to end up in a ditch, but should still (with experience and skill) determine to some degree where and when that will happen. With ABS, well it's just one more thing to fight at the wrong time.

Jon G likes this.
  13. Oct 25, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

I wouldn't be disabling my ABS on road, especially because it doesn't snow here in SA, but without a doubt ABS will increase your stopping distance in certain off road situations. Particularly muddy, steep downhill descents.

Does anyone know if there is a similar way to disable the ABS with a non Off-Road Tacoma? I've been wanting to do this since the first week I bought the truck, but I have yet to find anything on it.

14. Oct 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    X 2 ;)

:p

15. Oct 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    One situation where ABS does not help is where it is beneficial to build up a wedge of lose material in front of the tire to assist braking. This would be typical on gravel or loose snow. The ABS detects the slipping that would otherwise build up the wedge and releases the brakes.

Washboard pavement can also compromise ABS because it detects wheel slipping in the troughs and releases the brakes, perhaps in time for the next ridge. If the frequency that you cross the ridges is close to the frequency where the brakes pulse, that effect can be pretty noticeable.

On smooth slippery pavement, ABS generally provides shorter stopping distance and more control than all but the most skilled drivers. On a steep gravel drive, it can make life ... interesting.

best,
    walt

16. Oct 25, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Can't say as though I've ever noticed ABS being a detrement in winter conditions. It certainly is true that it will kick in allot sooner than in summer (just because of the road conditions) but that's all part of winter driving and adjusting your speeds, your stopping distance expectations, distance between cars you are following, etc.

I'd much rather have ABS for those extreme situations like when a moose walks out in front of you at 11PM on a snow covered highway, as opposed to going into full lockup with no little to no ability to control where you are headed.

17. Oct 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    I've thought about installing a guarded ABS Override switch for that 1 out of 50 times where ABS is actually a nuisance. It normally does more good than bad, but I find I trip my ABS often in a situation that doesn't need it, no quick, or rapid braking, I'm not strong footing the pedal, its just a very sensitive system - good most of the time, but others, I wish I had a switch, I can usually tell when im about to go into an ABS situation.

18. Oct 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    ABS cant help you stop if there is no traction from the tires, abs doesnt make traction, only the tires do. Rather than turning off abs, consider airing down a bit or siping the tires, or winter treads. 4wd wont make traction either, it enhance traction by having less power to each wheel , but sends it to all 4 . Both abs and 4wd can only manage available traction.
    I learned the abs traction game on a Bronco going downhill with stock tires, i got lucky, no accident. Following week I got my snow tires.

I see this every winter at work, awd /4wd vehicles here in Portland go try out a hill and end up ditched or slammed into the curb, as their stock tires good as they may be cant handle packed slick snow or ice. ABS , traction controls awd/4wd are great, but I suspect they often give a false sense of security. Bottom line check the tires and make the best traction you can.

19. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    adktacoma

adktacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    danny
    upstate new york
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport bsp
    stock (for now)
    don't forget that the abs allows a certain amount ao steering capability while brakeing hard, i find this handy at times on icey roads, and our roads are some of the worst.

20. Oct 25, 2009 at 1:01 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    A-ganger! hiyas

Products Discussed in

To Top