Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Center Console Removal w/ pics

Old 10-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Center Console Removal w/ pics

A few weeks ago when I did this project, I searched for this and didn't find many answers. I found enough to get by, but I also didn't find any photo's so I decided to try a quick write up.

The first thing that I did, was remove the piece of carpeted cardboard at the bottom of the console. I used a small dental pick to get around the side of it and just lifted straight up. With that out of the way, the 2 bolts that hold everything in are exposed. For the life of me, I can't remember what size they were, but any metric socket set will probably have it (10 mm maybe?).

After removing those two bolts and putting them aside, I removed the shifter knob, and the front cupholders. These came out very easy, simply grab from the rear, and pull up, be careful not to pull to hard and break something, but mine simply popped right out with minimal effort.

With the cup holder out of the way, you can now reach your fingers under the plastic trim that surrounds the shifter and push up from the front. This too is held in with plastic clips, so be carefully not to pry or pull too hard as they appear they will break very easily.

Now that the shifter trim is removed, you can access the 2 screws that hold the console to the shifter. These were just 2 phillips head screws, but they were in very tight, be extra careful with these as they just screw into plastic. I've broken enough plastic in the past to know when something is too tight.

Once you have these out, you can now lift the back of the console up a bit and slowly pull it towards the rear of the truck. There are a few clips on the front by the dash, these were the only ones that I recall, and they came out fairly gently. With that out of the way, you now have a ton of room to run wiring or do whatever you want to do. For me, I simply added a hard wired 3 way cigarette plug adapter under the dash and needed to get the console out of the way to get the drill under there.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
what are you planning to do?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, You do not have to remove the factory shift knob to remove the console.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Poohey is on a distinguished road
Poohey's Tacoma Gallery
I had been looking for this, appreciate the time you took to do this write up.

Question for you or anyone else:

Is there enough room under the console at the front of it to put a Sirius Tuner scc1 and the (toysc1 or equivalent) Both units are the same size and I was thinking of mounting them together and maybe looking at placing them there?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I recently did this over the weekend as well. Very easy as long as you know where the bolts are and what things pop out. Takes no time at all. Great writeup
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Im getting ready to relocate my CB Radio wires so this will come in handy
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Poohey is on a distinguished road
Poohey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohey View Post

Is there enough room under the console at the front of it to put a Sirius Tuner scc1 and the (toysc1 or equivalent) Both units are the same size and I was thinking of mounting them together and maybe looking at placing them there?
Bump!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohey View Post

Ill take some pictures of my Sirius Radio setup... I have it done a little differently
Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up. I was on the right track but I figured that the carpeted piece was glue in as in didn't want to come out. And yes the 2 bolts inside are 10 mm.
Trying to pre-wire the heated seats before the Katzkins arrive!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
Is that an e-brake adjuster under there?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write up!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
what are you planning to do?
^ He is begging the question. I couldn't agree more. Curious minds want to know.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
iDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of lightiDRiVaTRD is a glorious beacon of light
iDRiVaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It's in the last paragraph,

Once you have these out, you can now lift the back of the console up a bit and slowly pull it towards the rear of the truck. There are a few clips on the front by the dash, these were the only ones that I recall, and they came out fairly gently. With that out of the way, you now have a ton of room to run wiring or do whatever you want to do. For me, I simply added a hard wired 3 way cigarette plug adapter under the dash and needed to get the console out of the way to get the drill under there.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #16
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Nice. Would a Center Console Removal for a stick shift be similar, I wonder ?
Curious George
I'm pretty sure it's just about the same except for the removal of the shift boot.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
shockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to allshockittillyareconizeit is a name known to all
Name: Dustin
shockittillyareconizeit's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man, awesome write up! I've been looking for this everywhere and like you said, i could only find minimal stuff and i wanted to wait for someone to do it so i didn't screw anything up. Thanks very much for your time and pictures.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Nice. Would a Center Console Removal for a stick shift be similar, I wonder ?
Curious George
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
I'm pretty sure it's just about the same except for the removal of the shift boot.
Take off the shifter knob and the console lifts right out.

This thread FTW.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I think I do this once every month or two... it helps to pull the console out to clean it. I run it under hot water in the sink to get rid of the sticky stufff wooooo wheeee