1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boston Acoustics SR65/SR95 in front?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Davell, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Oct 25, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    Davell

Davell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    East Bay,Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    Still undecided on replacement speakers but am leaning toward Bostons SR. Not sure what size to put in.I am a little confused on using components and fitting the tweeters. Want an easy install. I plan on buying Pioneer DEH P610BT receiver with a Kicker 082X350.4 amp . No sub. I have a 2010 DBL CAB SR5 no JBL system. Any feedback appreciated.

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    I put Boston S65RC's in the front of my 09 AC a few weeks back. Installation was super easy...just go to *********.com & a pretty girl will show you all the steps. I'd recommend their mounting kits too :)

WRT the speakers themselves, the jury is still out. So far I'm not impressed, no substantial difference between the bostons & the paper factory speakers IMHO. But maybe they're just not broken in yet. I have a kenwood dnx-5120 HU. thinking about adding the kenwood swc10 compact sub under the drivers seat at some point.

3. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM
    Davell

Davell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    East Bay,Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Pyrite Mica 4x4
    Stereo upgrade
    I've heard with Bostons that you should really have an amp driving them. I can't believe they should not make a huge difference. You got me thinking.

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    I'm running bostons up front with an eclipse head unit. The head unit it powering them. They do really well. Bostons are good sensitive speakers so you don't need a lot of power.

Bostons are very pleasent sounding speakers. I have been using them since MB Quart went tits up. They are as close as I have found in pleasent sounding speakers.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    atebit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Agreed, I'm a normally a Boston guy both at home & in the car. But for some reason, these aren't making it IMHO. Maybe the sub will help. Or maybe my ears are going. :)

6. Nov 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    atebit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Installed a Kenwood KSC-SW10 powered subwoofer under the drivers seat last weekend, and it makes ALL the difference. The DNX-5120 HU with the Boston S65RCs in the front with this sub sounds great now.

The KSC-SW10 is a tight fit under the drivers seat, but it does fit. All I needed to do was remove the four bolts holding the seat in so I could lift the rear of the seat an inch or so for the the subwoofer to clear the rear edge of the seat as I slid it underneath. The subwoofer itself fits underneath the "cushion" area of the seat, so once it's in position, the rear edge of the seat is no longer in the way. I was able to bolt the seat back down with no problems.

The sub has a wired remote control that allows you to control the volume, frequency response and phase. I don't need or want anywhere near the chassis-rattling bass you hear coming from a lot of cars, so I have this dialed down pretty low, but it definetly gets the job done.

I found this sub on Amazon for around $114 + shipping. Highly recommend it!

Products Discussed in

To Top