Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Given up on 09/10 Overhead Console - Is a Temp/Comp Mirror a Quick Install?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Given up on 09/10 Overhead Console - Is a Temp/Comp Mirror a Quick Install?

I've got a 2010 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with 2.7l and have pretty much given up on getting a used overhead console and installing it. I checked the front and overhead console and it does have everything prewired.

My question, if I get a Gentex temp/compass mirror can I use the wires already installed in the truck without having to install an extra set? I used to own an Xterra and it was a bit of a pain to wire the harness through the firewall and pillars.

Will the already installed wires/connectors mesh with an aftermarket mirror? Has anyone tried this?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
fritzthecat will become famous soon enough

Navy:
fritzthecat's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a Gentex mirror with Temp and Compass in my 07. Mine had the overhead console with temp/comp already from the factory but I needed the space and removed the electronic module.
The new mirror has the compass built in. You need power, ground and the temp sensor wires from the overhead. The sensor wires are useable, the power and ground I clipped onto the console wire harness.
The toyota temp sensor will not work with the gentex mirror so when you buy it make sure you get a sensor with it. You will have to rem the toy sensor and splice in the gentex sensor up front by the radiator.

Fritz