Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Take-off shudder

Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
obxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to behold

obxfishn's Tacoma Gallery
Take-off shudder

Is this the "shudder" that everyone is talking about, very noticeable when you first take off? Will the Tom Woods shaft take care of this?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I only get the "shudder" when I dog it, I don't think the drive shaft will fix that.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration

Is it a shudder or more of a vibration. i get a metallic sounding vibration when I let the clutch out in first or second and when I start to backup. Sounds like the exhuast pipe vibrating against the frame. Its not that as the pipe is to far from the frame. Any ideas out there????
Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
Mike_72 is on a distinguished road

Mike_72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfishn View Post
Is this the "shudder" that everyone is talking about, very noticeable when you first take off? Will the Tom Woods shaft take care of this?
Yeah thats the shudder I have, looking into possible solutions for it right now. Since Toyota seems to think there is nothing wrong.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
obxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to beholdobxfishn is a splendid one to behold

There is a YouTube video out there somewhere that shows the Carrier Bearing shaking violently when you first take off and I was wondering if this is the same thing that is happening to my truck. I will try ti get it on vodeo some how some way this week. If this is the case then the Tom Woods shaft would definitely rid this problem huh!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #6

Mike_72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is a YouTube video out there somewhere that shows the Carrier Bearing shaking violently when you first take off and I was wondering if this is the same thing that is happening to my truck. I will try ti get it on vodeo some how some way this week. If this is the case then the Tom Woods shaft would definitely rid this problem huh!
I would be very interested in seeing this video..
Old 02-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Tug is on a distinguished road
Tug's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem, when I first take off in first gear the truck kind of jerks, same thing happens when I shift from first to second or when I back up.

I originally thought it was my clutch, than earlier this evening I went for a ride and for the first time since I bought the truck I put it in 4 high and it ran perfect.

Im not hearing any metal against the frame type sound though.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_72 View Post
I would be very interested in seeing this video..
Ask and thy shall recieve:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...=c_bearing.flv

This is the answer to the "Takeoff Shudder" that so many of us have.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #9
5862007 is on a distinguished road
5862007's Tacoma Gallery
My 2007 Tacoma has a strange shudder/vibration effect that only lasts a half second when I put the truck in Drive and it first starts to move. It's difficult to put it in words exactly what happens, but it's almost as if the truck is parked with a small barely-noticeable speed bump just ahead of the front tires that the truck goes over just as it starts to move forward. Just a split-second shudder/grind/vibration effect that doesn't happen again for the rest fo the time that I'm driving the truck. I haven't really worried about it and just assumed the phenomenon as just being one of those unfamiliar vehicle idiosyncracies that doesn't damage anything.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #10

Mike_72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Very interesting, so i would assume the tom woods one piece driveshaft would fix the problem
Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_72 View Post
Very interesting, so i would assume the tom woods one piece driveshaft would fix the problem
Thats what I am beginning to think!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #12

Mike_72's Tacoma Gallery
Hum, now how to get Toyota to foot the bill??
Old 02-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I thought Tom Woods was really only important when you get a lift.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #14

Mike_72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I thought Tom Woods was really only important when you get a lift.
Under normal circumstances yes, however when there is something wrong with the 2 piece OEM unit that makes your truck shake itself apart it is also important.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
Tug is on a distinguished road
Tug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Holy smoke... did you see that bad boy shake?

You dont really think about the all the stress a vehicle endures until you see a video like that.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
1bad03snake is on a distinguished road
1bad03snake's Tacoma Gallery
How much does a 1 piece driveshaft cost?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rudbwoy7s's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think this is the same shudder people experience with a 6" lift
Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
is it just me or does that driveshaft in the vid look like its been bent toward the axle side of the carrier(one to front 'left' in vid)?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i was just going to find that video and post it. my 4wd guy (ralph at meadowlands 4wd in rutherford nj) swears its the front diff not being dropped enough.i think its the combo of driveshaft,front diff/axles, and beating the snot out of your truck.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
Zach is on a distinguished road

Zach's Tacoma Gallery
5862007, i have the same as you, though, only when the truck has sat overnight, or during the day while i am at work. I thought it might be something with the brake line, or ABS, or perhaps a weird toyota gremlin....