Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheaper 4x4's on the west coast?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
seligman will become famous soon enoughseligman will become famous soon enough
seligman's Tacoma Gallery
Cheaper 4x4's on the west coast?

I might be moving to the midwest next year.

A friend told me 4x4 Tacomas might be cheaper in Southern California - where demand is lower - compared to other parts of the country. I'll need a 4x4 for the winter.

If this is true, how much cheaper in SoCal?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
My understanding is california has insane taxes, and I would think that would completely defeat any savings due to lower demand, but I don't know.

You could try getting some price quotes over the phone where you are and where you'll move, and see where you start out.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
we are charged 8.75 in some counties are inthe 9s. But from somewhere else...I am sure they ship more 4x4 so you get more somewhere else where has if there is one available here people usually pick it up.

Tri
Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
If this job goes through, I would buy a 4x4 just before moving and register it to my new midwest address. I'm talking just a few days before.

I wonder if I can get around being taxed by CA?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
I believe if you buy it in CA and immediately move, you can register AND pay sales tax in the new state, assuming you make sure the stealer doesn't roll sales tax in. If you tell them you're now living in whichever state, you should be able to do that.

Typically you have 30 days.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
taxes for vehicle registration fees are in the state registered, not purchased.

You will get hammered with "Welcome to California" fees is you purchase out of state and bring it to california.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
taxes for vehicle registration fees are in the state registered, not purchased.

You will get hammered with "Welcome to California" fees is you purchase out of state and bring it to california.
I'd be doing the opposite. Moving OUT of the California.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
ITS A LIE!!! I looked high and low for a good 4x4 tacoma. I moved to socal from Upstate ny where you have 2 seasons spring and winter but i love it so i plan on moving home. Being i love the outdoors and offroading and i want to move home to snow i wanted a 4x4. REALLY hard to find used 4x4 tacomas here in socal. If you find a good used one with 30k it will cost you close to what a new one would cost in upstate ny. I went with a new one. The closest 2010 reg cab 4x4 was 500miles away in Sacremento and they wanted 23,000 + 8.75 sales tax. I bought mine in NY for 19,000+ 7% tax and had it shipped to cali for 1000. A little hastle but worth the couple gs i saved. Check autotrader and compare with your area
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my 05 Double cab 6spd TRD Off Road with 40k miles on it used at a dealership for $19800ish...Seems like a pretty good deal to what I have scene out there.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Thank you.

I've spent my whole life in Southern California so I apologize for the ignorant question I'm about to ask. Do I need special rust proofing to protect the underside from salt and the other ctap they spray on the roads, or does that come standard?

Reason I ask, a friend who lives there already, just bought an Audi. He had to pay extra for the rust proofing. Apparently it didn't come that way from the factory.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
05+ the frame has a greasy black film on it. that is the rust proofing. Also, get yor truck washed regularly and make sure the undercarraige is washed after every storm. I used to was my vehicle religiously lol every sunday unless it was storming. You want to make sure that salt doesnt build up under your truck.

I dont mean wash it with a hose i mean take it through a drive through with under carraige wash. the water is heated and if its below freezing get out and dry the seal around the door so they dont freeze shut.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
BlueXenon is on a distinguished road

BlueXenon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICOMA View Post
we are charged 8.75 in some counties are inthe 9s. But from somewhere else...I am sure they ship more 4x4 so you get more somewhere else where has if there is one available here people usually pick it up.

Tri
Ive noticed that dealer lots ive been to in Los Angeles they have more prerunners on the lot vrs 4X4.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXenon View Post
Ive noticed that dealer lots ive been to in Los Angeles they have more prerunners on the lot vrs 4X4.
cali will always have more prerunners as we do not have the harsh condition like other states and prerunners will go through a lot. I bought a 4x4 for the off roading ability...not for snow or anything like that which is what people usually like 4x4 for. If it was going to be a pure street truck I would have gotten the prerunner 4x2 with TRD off Road. There are guys here in SD that get through a lot with just 4x2 and a locker.