Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to paint FJ emblem

Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
How to paint FJ emblem

I want to order the old school fj emblem from the dealer. Something like this:

that solus694 bought.
How would I paint the letters? I just want to colormatch the letters silver and leave the middle portion black. First thought would be masking the black off and spraying it.

But then I thought about using the touch up pen here:
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/cho...+No%2C+*+65073

Would that pen work? Or would it come out raunchy? Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
i dont think a pen would work too well, i used tape. taped off each letter then cut it out with a exacto-knife or blade which ever u want.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtacoma View Post
i dont think a pen would work too well, i used tape. taped off each letter then cut it out with a exacto-knife or blade which ever u want.

Wow. Ok. Did you use primer or an adhesive promotor first?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Wow. Ok. Did you use primer or an adhesive promotor first?
primer only then paint, dont remember how many coats though.
i didnt use adhesive promoter because i didnt have any and didnt feel like going to walmart lol. but its held up fine and hasnt had any chips.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #5

Quote:
primer only then paint, dont remember how many coats though.
i didnt use adhesive promoter because i didnt have any and didnt feel like going to walmart lol. but its held up fine and hasnt had any chips.
Nice. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
SoCal Tacomas

no problem, how much did the dealer charge u?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend adhesion promoter, if you haven't started yet, i used it for my grille emblem and it hasn't chipped yet......knock on wood.
Attached Thumbnails
How to paint FJ emblem-picture-006.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
I just painted mine... (haven't got it on the truck yet)

1. sand off all the tape/sticker... that comes on it down to the plastic
2. Paint whole thing the color you want
3. let dry
4. tape the whole thing
5. Use exacto knife cut away excess around letters, leaving only the letters covered
6. Respray entire thing black
7. Let dry
8. Remove tape

the other way, trying to cover the excess area only doesnt work (tried it).

here a pic of finished product

sorry the crappy pic but you get the idea...

Now I just have to figure out how to attach it... I have 3M tape but I'm not too sure how strong that will be?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #9

Quote:
no problem, how much did the dealer charge u?
Havent bought it yet! I will let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaco View Post
I would recommend adhesion promoter, if you haven't started yet, i used it for my grille emblem and it hasn't chipped yet......knock on wood.
Thanks. I probably will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
I just painted mine... (haven't got it on the truck yet)

1. sand off all the tape/sticker... that comes on it down to the plastic
2. Paint whole thing the color you want
3. let dry
4. tape the whole thing
5. Use exacto knife cut away excess around letters, leaving only the letters covered
6. Respray entire thing black
7. Let dry
8. Remove tape

the other way, trying to cover the excess area only doesnt work (tried it).

here a pic of finished product

sorry the crappy pic but you get the idea...

Now I just have to figure out how to attach it... I have 3M tape but I'm not too sure how strong that will be?
Cool. Thanks for the steps. Hope it was ok using your picture. The 3m tape will be fine. I use it for my badges. Nice strong hold. Post pics when your done.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Robtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really nice

Name: Robert
Robtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Have you bought it yet JD?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtrd View Post
Have you bought it yet JD?
No. I have been lagging it. I hope to have it by mod day. I want to do that and my grill silver at the same time. I will update this thread when I get it.

Been really busy lately.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
Robtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really niceRobtrd is just really nice

Name: Robert
Robtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
No. I have been lagging it. I hope to have it by mod day. I want to do that and my grill silver at the same time. I will update this thread when I get it.

Been really busy lately.
Yea true school and work is hard...Any chance you have the part number?.. Im thinking going to the dealer either tomorrow or wensday
Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtrd View Post
Yea true school and work is hard...Any chance you have the part number?.. Im thinking going to the dealer either tomorrow or wensday
7531190k00
If you are getting one we should meet up and knock it out together.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have 3M tape but I'm not too sure how strong that will be?
If you use 3M VHB tape it will not come off. I used it on my trunk lid spoiler on my Accord and it was permanent.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFK View Post
how did u guys mount it to the grill, eveyone says double sided tape but is there other ways???

I like this way: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...up-w-pics.html

I did a similar way on mine. I didn't cut out the letters just epoxied screws to the back and then put it through the mess and attached with nuts.