Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2010 v6 Tacoma Supercharger ISSUES

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Say What?
patrickockander is on a distinguished road
Army: Served as a Combat Medic with 3rd BDE 2nd ID "Stryker Brigade", now serving as a reservist/student
Name: Patrick
patrickockander's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2010 v6 Tacoma Supercharger ISSUES

Hey everybody,

I had my supercharger installed but we've run into a problem. The dealership is unable to "flash" the ECM because it seems that Toyota hasn't released a new code for the 2010's.

The master tech told me he hooked up his computer to it and attempted to use the 2009 codes but that the computer recognized it as a 2010 and would not allow him to proceed.

I've contacted TRD myself and they've told me that the service dept has to contact the Tech line, or DSPM (regional rep).

Anyway, they're telling me that they might have to pull the SC and give me my truck back without it. I told them not to do that and that I'd prefer to have it sit until the update becomes available.

Anybody have any advice for me? Any experience with this?

Should I consider an aftermarket ECM?

Thanks All,
Patrick
Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed to this, I have a 2010 and have been thinking about the SC

Edit:

I have no experience but advice...depends how long it will take them to get the flash, if it is a week or two I would wait..
Old 10-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
wolf13 is on a distinguished road
wolf13's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking into this as well, and they won't touch it here until its offically released. No idea when that will be though.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Why can't they swap out your ECM for a 2009 and then update that. Then when the new codes become available, swap your 2010 ECM back in.

They should have never installed it if they didn't have everything they needed.

Hope it works out.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
The only advice i can give is that the dealership should have known this, so there is no way you should have to pay extra for anything. If the re-flash is going to take a while, the dealership should cover all necessary expenses to make you whole.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
cbettner66 is on a distinguished road
cbettner66's Tacoma Gallery
seems like the dealership was too eager to take your money and forgot to do their homework - why would they agree to install the SC in an 2010 if they didn't even know if the new 2010 ECM firmware was out yet?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
thats what you get for having in SC installed right off the bat, rather than dreaming and waiting to scrounge up the money like everyone else here

also, would have thought that the techs would have thought about this BEFORE they installed it.....

i would let the truck sit there and make them give you a loaner until they get the code. there is no reason that all this should have happened in the first place, and i wouldnt hold my breath for a code anytime soon, although i could be wrong. maybe if you make the truck sit there they will get on top of it!

EDIT: i would also charge them interest on your purchase as you cant use it yet, or at least make them throw in some cool stuff for having to wait!!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
URD wouldn't have this problem
Old 10-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
URD wouldn't have this problem
except you can't use the urd s/c on the 09s and 10s because the computer plugs are different, so the x-1 will not work.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
Wizard Sleeve Master
Amo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAmo-cat3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Amo-cat3's Tacoma Gallery
Check with Allan phillips racing www.aprpower.com and look into their APR-X1 which they can send to you programmed for the trd supercharger. This way you don't have to reflash your OEM cpu and later if you need to take the supercharger out you can reprogram the x-1 to go back to naturally aspirated performance.
It's another $1400 bones, but it does add to the performance of your supercharger and keeps your options open.

I submitted to late
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Say What?
Army: Served as a Combat Medic with 3rd BDE 2nd ID "Stryker Brigade", now serving as a reservist/student
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
Why can't they swap out your ECM for a 2009 and then update that. Then when the new codes become available, swap your 2010 ECM back in.

They should have never installed it if they didn't have everything they needed.

Hope it works out.
I'm considering doing that...the only thing is that is has the 2009 ECM (aug 09) but I'm thinking I'd have to get the July and prior ECM...may have to do this. I doubt they'll pay for it though. lol.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Say What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas32259 View Post
I am going to get a SC on my 2010.............. What was the cost?
$4500 for the part, $700 for the install.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Say What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettner66 View Post
seems like the dealership was too eager to take your money and forgot to do their homework - why would they agree to install the SC in an 2010 if they didn't even know if the new 2010 ECM firmware was out yet?

They assumed...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #16
Say What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
thats what you get for having in SC installed right off the bat, rather than dreaming and waiting to scrounge up the money like everyone else here

also, would have thought that the techs would have thought about this BEFORE they installed it.....

i would let the truck sit there and make them give you a loaner until they get the code. there is no reason that all this should have happened in the first place, and i wouldnt hold my breath for a code anytime soon, although i could be wrong. maybe if you make the truck sit there they will get on top of it!

EDIT: i would also charge them interest on your purchase as you cant use it yet, or at least make them throw in some cool stuff for having to wait!!

Acually, I've had this SC sitting in my garage for a couple months now..was going to put it on my 2008...but decided to trade in the truck altogether...part of the deal was having my SC installed. if they'd not have done it I'd have not made the deal...

You're right though, they've actually reissued my 2008 to me, so I'm using it until they fix this problem. I'm going to start searching for an 09 ECM. I've already contacted Toyota Corp. and they've got some sort of claim/case # going...so maybe this will help a little....who knows...

But I did tell them that they're not taking the parts off and putting them on later...so the truck will sit in their lot until it's done...also thinking this might be a motivator for them too..
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickockander View Post
But I did tell them that they're not taking the parts off and putting them on later...so the truck will sit in their lot until it's done...also thinking this might be a motivator for them too..
good call, i would have done the same thing for that very reason! they will get off their butts and get this going if they ever want your truck of their lot!!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickockander View Post
I'm considering doing that...the only thing is that is has the 2009 ECM (aug 09) but I'm thinking I'd have to get the July and prior ECM...may have to do this. I doubt they'll pay for it though. lol.
IF it's the same damn thing why wouldn't they?

I'm not too knowledgeable about these things so maybe I am over simplyfing it...hope it all works out.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
cjbs2003 is on a distinguished road
Name: Travis
cjbs2003's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjbs2003 Send a message via Yahoo to cjbs2003
According to Toyota, a power gain to 304 hp and 334 lb-ft of torque at 3600 rpm. All figures were measured at the flywheels.