1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gear Ratio??? Got bigger tires losing MPG, HP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cappy Cap, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Oct 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  2. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    Cappy Cap

Cappy Cap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    08 Reg. Cab
    K & N Intake, Alpine S-10 Shallow Mount Sub, Alpine CDA-9884 H/U, Alpine Type-R Components, Alpine Amp, 3.73 rear end, Welded on Muffler, Bug Deflector, Rain Guards, LCE Short Shifter,
    Sorry guys took me so long i havent had a chance to check my comp.

I didn't adjust for the difference i am just watching the gas tank drop. Can you explain what you mean by adjusting the figures. I have kept it in 4th today on the highway and it was reving around 2.4 - 2.5 rpm so it wasn't dropping as dramatically as before. But i do think i need to throw some gears in becuase 5th gear is obsolete right now. The other thing was can you switch the 2.7 4.1 gears from the pre runner into my tacoma or is it a completly different setup, havent really looked into it that much yet.

3. Oct 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    You have to adjust your mileage by the difference in the tire circumference. Your new tires will be a % larger than the old tires. This means that the tire takes fewer rotations per mile. Therefore, your odometer will read fewer miles than you have actually driven and your speedo will read slow. Multiply that percentage by the amount of miles you have driven to get the true number of miles driven and then recalculate your gas mileage. You may be able to just multiply your gas mileage by the % but I can't say for sure.

This doesn't mean you don't need to regear, it just means your gas mileage may not be as bad as you think.

4. Jul 11, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    Jakewill05

Jakewill05 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-road
    I'm very new to this still, but learn quickly. I just want to make sure I have an understanding of what to expect when I bolt on my bigger tires.
    Once I have all the parts, I will be installing a lift of ~ 3" front and 2" rear (bilstein 5100s with OME 887 coils and AAL). I'll be going from my factory 265/70R16 (30.6") to a 265/70R18 (32.6").
    My Taco has the A04C (4.56) differential gearing and the A750F transmission.
    Based on most of the online calculators, the truck came stock with power in mind and could have been missing out on some MPGs. I usually get 17 MPG with stock everything.
    Based again on the online calculators, a 2" bigger tire should put me more in the realm of a daily driver with a more balanced power/MPG profile. New effective gear ratio of 4.28 with tire size taken into account.

Should this new effective gear ratio of 4.28 end up being a better fit for a daily driver? Truck commutes 70 miles round trip (all interstate and only ~3 days a week thankfully)

5. Jul 12, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    DANGERMONEY

DANGERMONEY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worth the bigger tires your odometer is off....are you compensating for this in calc your mpg

Products Discussed in

To Top