Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TSB for T/O Bearing Issue:

Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #161
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Toyota fucked this transmission from the start

They lubed mine on the 60k warranty check and now 1 yr later the chirp is back, I guess it lasted this long since I haven't been doing water crossings for the last yr, in fact only highway use for the last yr.

Out of warranty, same problem back, Toyota really fucked this one, I guess that my only option would be to do it myself with the PDM kit, maybe while at it I'll throw in a new and improved clutch kit, need to do my research on the clutch kit.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #162
Superwhitetaco10 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Superwhitetaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if they updated anything in the 6 speed transmission for 2012?
I just purchased a 2012 Sport DC , SB with 6 speed and was wondering if i might encounter this issue in the future.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #163
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post
They lubed mine on the 60k warranty check and now 1 yr later the chirp is back, I guess it lasted this long since I haven't been doing water crossings for the last yr, in fact only highway use for the last yr.

Out of warranty, same problem back, Toyota really fucked this one, I guess that my only option would be to do it myself with the PDM kit, maybe while at it I'll throw in a new and improved clutch kit, need to do my research on the clutch kit.
Buy the URD bearing and the chirp will be gone FOREVER! Spend a weekend and do it yourself. Not that bad at all..
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #164
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post

Next time you are at that dealer ask them how they lubed it. I thought the whole trans had to come out.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #165
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
Next time you are at that dealer ask them how they lubed it. I thought the whole trans had to come out.
Yep they took it out for inspection and decided that only needed a new bearing and the pilot shaft to be lubed, I fought for a new transmission since the pilot shaft is part of the bellhousing but they deny it
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #166
Tricky Mike is on a distinguished road
Tricky Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Well, add me to the list. Started noticing the dreaded chirp this afternoon. Thanks Toyota!!! Way to go.

Oh well... Guess I'll be placing an order with URD.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #167
71roadrunner is on a distinguished road

71roadrunner's Tacoma Gallery

A little more info on these failures. After talking to 3 different individuals over the last couple years (including 2 Toyo Tech's who have R&R'd several T.O. Bearings), each case had a mismatch of the Bearing to the Pressure Plate (ie : LUK bearing to AISIN pressure plate or vice versa). In looking at the relevant TSB, Toyo pays particular attention to the matching of like vendors. It's beginning to look more and more like there were a bunch of mismatched clutch parts on the earlier built vehicles. Which could also explain why there are a lot of them going well over the 100k mark with no apparent problems.

Also, I'm again posting the TSB :

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ch-bearing.pdf

And here's a thread with a bunch of Throw Out Bearing info (along with pics of some DIY work starting at #116) :

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...speeds-12.html

Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #168
Thanks for the info...
I haven't torn into it yet, but soon...

URD kit is on a FedEx truck somewhere.

I may use their bearing but machine my own stainless sleeve for w heat/shrink fit over the shaft. I'm not in love with the set screw approach, but I'll see when it all comes apart. It's probably fine.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #169
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has been squeaking for about 40k miles. I've got about 90k on it now. The squeaking bothers me, but I figure I will run it til it dies and then put a new transmission under it. I figure the pilot shaft is buggered beyond recovery by now anyway.

Wonder how much that would cost me....?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #170
Thanks again for that link... really helpful. Making me think I won't bother with the custom sleeve. Seems it's mainly an alignment issue with the fork, bearing and release cylinder. The biggest issue, though, in my somewhat uneducated opinion is that the TO Bearing NEVER stops spinning. I'm surprised I got 60K out of mine. This will never get fixed permanently with sleeves, new TSB parts, etc. Seems it needs a whole new design that only has the bearing spinning when you engage the clutch.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #171
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superwhitetaco10 View Post
Does anyone know if they updated anything in the 6 speed transmission for 2012?
I just purchased a 2012 Sport DC , SB with 6 speed and was wondering if i might encounter this issue in the future.
Nope still making them.....
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5720627
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #172
TechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant future

Name: Eric
TechJunky's Tacoma Gallery
Add me to the list.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #173
TechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant future

Truck has been in service since Saturday.... I'll post the outcome
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #174

New fork,
new T/O bearing,
and new slave cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails
TSB for T/O Bearing Issue:-img_1235.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #176

Just got the truck back. Fixed.

Parts List:
31230-60241 Bearing assy...
31236-35050 Support, release for
31470-35181 Cylinder assy...

Hope this helps someone....

BTW, I bought this truck in June of this year. The dealer was able to pull the vehicle history for me. The T/O bearing was replaced in Feb 2010 @ 20K miles, but not the support or the slave cylinder.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #177
matadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
matadorCE's Tacoma Gallery
So what are the implications of not treating this issue? Is it just the noise or is it making permanent damange to something in the transmission?
I'm looking to buy an '05 that I test drove last night and I think I hear the T/O bearing noise during the test drive. The owner has never had the truck in for any of TSBs so I don't know how long it's been there.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #178
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunky View Post
Just got the truck back. Fixed.

Parts List:
31230-60241 Bearing assy...
31236-35050 Support, release for
31470-35181 Cylinder assy...

Hope this helps someone....

BTW, I bought this truck in June of this year. The dealer was able to pull the vehicle history for me. The T/O bearing was replaced in Feb 2010 @ 20K miles, but not the support or the slave cylinder.
It does help, thanks. any other part #'s ?

Getting ready to have my clutch done soon, and I want to make sure I replace everything in there with the most current stuff as long as it is apart.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post
It does help, thanks. any other part #'s ?

Getting ready to have my clutch done soon, and I want to make sure I replace everything in there with the most current stuff as long as it is apart.
That is it. A customer service rep should be able to find the TSB and the technical details for replacing the parts.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
So what are the implications of not treating this issue? Is it just the noise or is it making permanent damange to something in the transmission?
I'm looking to buy an '05 that I test drove last night and I think I hear the T/O bearing noise during the test drive. The owner has never had the truck in for any of TSBs so I don't know how long it's been there.
I don't know for sure, but the chance of total failure? Can't shift, chewing up more parts, stranded on the side of the road.

In the case of your shopping. Go to toy service and ask how much it would cost, then use the quote in negotiating your purchase.