LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

running wires thru 3-rd light

Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
running wires thru 3-rd light

quick question.
im going to purchase a roof rack setup for my access cab and put a carry basket on top. And i want to try to hook up 2-4 lights on the front of the basket for those late night snow runs. Question would be i know some of you have run wires back through your 3-rd light, is this hard to do? what has to be removed to be able to run the wires? and would running say 4 power wires and just one bigger ground wire through there cause any leaking issues at all?

thanks
Old 10-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
It is extremely easy to run the wires through the light. I ran a satelite and a GPS receiver through it with no problems. Just take a drill bit the same diameter as the wire and make a small indention for it. The hardest part of getting wires through it is getting them to it. You will need to either remove the headliner or remove just around the edges of it. The hanger thingys just turn and pull out. Just make sure you plan your route of the wires. Good luck!!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
when you say, small indentation. What are you meaning? like on top of the light jsut so the wires can get through behind all the bulbs and chrome plastic piece?. I'm jsut not sure if i can run them behind the seal or if i have to like slip them into the light, then run them through the holes where the lights are for the 3-rd.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Ocean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really nice

Ocean's's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiekc View Post
It is extremely easy to run the wires through the light. I ran a satelite and a GPS receiver through it with no problems. Just take a drill bit the same diameter as the wire and make a small indention for it. The hardest part of getting wires through it is getting them to it. You will need to either remove the headliner or remove just around the edges of it. The hanger thingys just turn and pull out. Just make sure you plan your route of the wires. Good luck!!

Sidenote: do you have pics of the GPS tuff on yer roof?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean's View Post
Sidenote: do you have pics of the GPS tuff on yer roof?
Sorry I don't. I just sent my truck to Germany yesterday so I can't take a picture of it. It will be another month and a half before I get to see my baby again.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgod06 View Post
when you say, small indentation. What are you meaning? like on top of the light jsut so the wires can get through behind all the bulbs and chrome plastic piece?. I'm jsut not sure if i can run them behind the seal or if i have to like slip them into the light, then run them through the holes where the lights are for the 3-rd.
Exactly, the third brake light has a raised lip that goes all the way around it. There is a weather seal all the way around the edge of it. I wanted a nice tight seal so I just made an indention the big enough to go around the wires. I just used some clear rtv on the inside to make sure that it wouldnt leak. If you run them through the light then you will have to drill a hole in the lens. I would show you some pictures but my baby just left yesterday for Germany and I dont have any pictures.