Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tuffy Locking Bed Box Installed

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
Tuffy Locking Bed Box Installed

I know many have opinions on this box as to it's expense ($182.00 TRDparts4u) and I debated it also, but I can only get so many things in the storage under the back seats (double cab) and the rear area behind the seats, I am also not a fan of a tool box for the bed with the short bed.

So I sprung for it, I can keep my receiver hitch tow bar, jumper cables and a bunch of other misc tools in there and they are safe, this is one tough box...

On the bench

Installed

Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
nice!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. got any pics of it open and with stuff in it?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Navy: SAR Swimmer
Name: Al
Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
Here is mine ! I know...I am a cheapo, but they work great. Although, I do like your setup.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Here is mine ! I know...I am a cheapo, but they work great. Although, I do like your setup.

thats pretty cool what locks did you use i wouldnt mind having one that locked
Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot if I went to the Home Depot or Lowes. I bought to locks w/matching keys. Then I just took out the knob and put in the new locks. I had to cut down the locking arm w/a dremel for a proper fit. The only other thing I had to do is keep tweeking the arm in a vise until the locking arm would close w/a nice tight fit. I love them. I don't have to worry about someone jacking my stuff. It took about 45 minutes for both of them. Hope this helps. Did not mean to mess-up the thread.

-Al
Old 10-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
iTaco

Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
note: testedone's box looks to be deeper. that would be nice. i am all about utilizing space.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
wildtrax1 is on a distinguished road
wildtrax1's Tacoma Gallery
nice. would like to get one of those boxes
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by testedone View Post
I know many have opinions on this box as to it's expense ($182.00 TRDparts4u) and I debated it also, but I can only get so many things in the storage under the back seats (double cab) and the rear area behind the seats, I am also not a fan of a tool box for the bed with the short bed.

So I sprung for it, I can keep my receiver hitch tow bar, jumper cables and a bunch of other misc tools in there and they are safe, this is one tough box...

On the bench

Installed

Looks good,
I just recieved mine monday. It was back ordered for about 2 months.
I put it in kind of late at night.
Little tough getting the lower stock bolts in with the torx heads.
If I was to do it again I would change them to allen head to make the install easier.

Not cheap but the stuff I want to store out there instead of the in the underseat location is not something I want stolen either so it was worth the money to me.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice guys...those all look sweet
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Looks good,
I just recieved mine monday. It was back ordered for about 2 months.
I put it in kind of late at night.
Little tough getting the lower stock bolts in with the torx heads.
If I was to do it again I would change them to allen head to make the install easier.

Not cheap but the stuff I want to store out there instead of the in the underseat location is not something I want stolen either so it was worth the money to me.

yep same issue on the lower bolts...
Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #12

I did that to mine also before I bought this..I am thinking of moving my AC plug in the bed and putting it in the cab and putting another box where the AC plug would be...same size box as the other side fits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

Old 10-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice...do you have a pic of it open? I'm curious about whether it has more usable room inside than the factory box.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Nice...do you have a pic of it open? I'm curious about whether it has more usable room inside than the factory box.

Yes it does have more usable room, here is the best I have right now

Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
notbrigum will become famous soon enough

notbrigum's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought two of these myself. Bullet F'ing proof. Anyone know which length Combi Cam lock is needed? Three diff lenghts it seems. Thx.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #16
KodiakVA is on a distinguished road
KodiakVA's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one of these as soon as I got my 09. Not a cheap date but it is a great build quality. It also holds almost double what the stock cubbie holds, so it provides some decent, lockable storage outside the cab. I'm getting a little surface rust on the hinge where it opens and closes but that can be expected. Only where the metal rubs and the rest is still perfect after over a year.

Those bottom bolts did suck but I bought a set of allen style torx wrenches and that solved that problem.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #17

I installed another one, I have one on both sides now
Old 10-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #18
ThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedThisGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
ThisGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if we could get a group buy on these babies????
Old 10-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #19
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cinch's Tacoma Gallery
That box looks larger than the original spot where it goes. Is there any cutting of the composite bed involved to make it fit?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #20

no cutting at all...fits perfect..when you take it out of the box it comes in you think "How will that fit"..yet it does..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
That box looks larger than the original spot where it goes. Is there any cutting of the composite bed involved to make it fit?

Products Discussed in this Thread