Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anybody tried the V-LED Switchback bulbs?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody tried the V-LED Switchback bulbs?

Has anybody tried the V-LED switchback bulbs? I'm not sure if they'll work on my '09 since it has DRL. There is a regular and SWACK version but I'm not sure what the difference is. They're pricey at $80 but I'd try them out if I knew they would work.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...-p7472046.html

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...-p7472050.html

Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
WONDER8OY is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
WONDER8OY's Tacoma Gallery
I did ... not on my tacoma though... I had them on my 2009 XRS corolla and they worked AMAZINGLY well ... super bright and look really cool when they switch back and forth
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Vultite is on a distinguished road
Vultite's Tacoma Gallery
DOT legal?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WONDER8OY View Post
I did ... not on my tacoma though... I had them on my 2009 XRS corolla and they worked AMAZINGLY well ... super bright and look really cool when they switch back and forth
Do you still have the Corolla? If so I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at the socket for that bulb and let me know if you have 2 or 3 wires coming to it.

I took a look at the Tacoma yesterday and it has a dual filament 4157 bulb with two wires coming to it. Whenever the bulb is on there is power to the 12V High side only. It doesn't matter if the DRL is on or it is in turn signal mode. The 12V Low side never gets any juice. The bulb is the SACK type with the ground on the top and the hot side on the bottom. This may explain the problems other users have had since the standard bulb has grounds on the left and hot on the right.

Since it looks to me like there is just a single input there isn't a way to use the color change bulbs without doing some wiring work and I'm not all that interested in that. I also measured the distance from the base of the bulb housing to the lens and it is about 1.5". The 92 LED units are too long to fit. I'm going to go with this 60 LED bulb instead;

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...04431-1-2.html

Here is an image of the SACK connector on the front 4157s;
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
WONDER8OY is on a distinguished road
Name: Brad
WONDER8OY's Tacoma Gallery
no sorry i dont have it .. sold it for the tacoma.. but i remeber there being two wires comming out of the back
Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
reiss91 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
reiss91's Tacoma Gallery
Reviving an old thread. Any one successfully done this on a 2nd gen?

I don't like how I have orange visible through the housing of my head lights. And I already own these bulbs from doing the fog light mod on my 1st gen (miss that truck).

Would be kind of cool to have the entire housing be the hid color instead of just the low/high beams.

Any opinions?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of the 3157 out of my old car but I couldn't get them to work in my truck but I really didn't try that hard. Just plugged them in and blew fuses.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
reiss91's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm. I figured they said dont use them if you have dtrl because the color would be amber. But if its blowing fuses (im assuming you have dtrl) then there is a much bigger problem. I wonder what it could be.

Ill investigate it when i have time but maybe someone else could chime in on this.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
reiss91's Tacoma Gallery
oh and what fuses did it blow?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Emanon is on a distinguished road
Emanon's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set. Amber is not that bright but does the job.

Here is a pic of them installed.

Edit: btw 92 version are too long and do not fit

Old 04-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss91 View Post
oh and what fuses did it blow?
I have a 02 and it blew my horn and turns
Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
reiss91's Tacoma Gallery
interesting i did it on my 03 and nothing blew
Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
Skeeter Skeetin is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: AET/Flight Mechanic
Name: Greg
Skeeter Skeetin's Tacoma Gallery
I have the v3 switchbacks in mine. I love them.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
Skeeter Skeetin is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: AET/Flight Mechanic
Name: Greg
Skeeter Skeetin's Tacoma Gallery
P.S. if you have DTRLs get the whole V3 package not just the bulb. It's around $130