Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird No Start Thing....

Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
Weird No Start Thing....

truck's got 28k miles TRD sport, MT. Let me start by saying that i'm used to my 4runner which had the feature where you bump the key to start and let go, and it will automatically keep turning the motor over till it starts.... so with that said, i've maybe done this half a dozen times w the taco, particularly when going back and forth between vehicles. Twice now, after bumping it, but it not starting, and then turning and holding the key, it just turns and turns. Doesn't sputter, hickup. Nothing. Give it a minute, try again, nothing.. 2 minutes try again still just turning... Now both times i've just gone inside and given in 20 mins or so, and it started right up like nothing was wrong. Please lend me some of that sweet TW wisdom and shed some light on my little issue here.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Turn the key, and hold it until it starts. 'bout the only thing I can tell ya.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Probably dumb question, but you are using the master key right? and not a copy made at like lowes or something?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
can anybody but the dealer even make a copy? I didnt think they could due to the immobilizer?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

They (lowes or other) can make a door key, but it won't turn the motor over. Another thing is my parents had a camry and a t-100 and both keys turned the ignition, they both cranked, but would not start either motor.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
good to know. thnx.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 6spd as well and mine does something similar at times. I turn the key and it just keeps turning over and over. Never starts. I release the key, hit it again and it fires right up. I keep thinking that I don't have my foot pressed all the way to the floor with the clutch. I don't think that's the problem though. Not really sure what it is...
Old 10-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes I use the same key every time, motor wont turn at all without the clutch switch engaged, and hold it till it fires up would burn up the starter.... I held it for a lot longer than i though the starter should prolly crank.... and even gave it a min and tried again. Its like something in the ECU or other computer stuff is shutting off fuel or ignition for some reason..... and after it sits for 20 mins something resets and fires right up.... Anybody else have any ideas??
Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmflyfisher View Post
I have the 6spd as well and mine does something similar at times. I turn the key and it just keeps turning over and over. Never starts. I release the key, hit it again and it fires right up. I keep thinking that I don't have my foot pressed all the way to the floor with the clutch. I don't think that's the problem though. Not really sure what it is...
I'm assuming that whatever you're experiencing is the same thing.... My truck always fires right up after just a couple rotations. Except for these times when nothing... my only problem is when it has happened, letting go of the key and trying again yeilds no results... i have to let it sit for awhile. hmmmm......
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #11

Oh, one more thing to maybe check is the pressure switch where the clutch pedal comes down on. Sometimes the floor mat rides up and i can't push the pedal far enough,and once the switch actually came loose from the back of it's bracket.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
Oh, one more thing to maybe check is the pressure switch where the clutch pedal comes down on. Sometimes the floor mat rides up and i can't push the pedal far enough,and once the switch actually came loose from the back of it's bracket.
thanks, but the motor wont turn over at all unless the switch is engaged.....
Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #13

Hmmmmmmmmm I got nothing then. Good luck guys
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I have an auto 05 DC and I experience the same problem occasionally. I just have to let off, try again, and it starts right up! No idea what this is... Mostly because it doesn't happen every time, just once in a while.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
decrowe is on a distinguished road
Name: dcinwyo
decrowe's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 07 dpuble cab, v6, i have the same problem. It is usually after I have driven it, let it sit for 10-40 minutes. turn the key and it turns over but wont start. I may have to try a time or 2 but it starts right up then.