1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vinyl or paint

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rberumen2, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM
    rberumen2

rberumen2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Does anyone have any advice for me. I'm debating about either painting the bumper valence or using vinyl? What is better?

2. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Do you want it to be removable?? Repairable??

Do you wheel your truck....just street??

3. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I'm gonna vinyl my grill and bumper...I used vinyl for my fenders and front bumper. If I get tired of it...it comes right off. I also have a hook up so it didn't cost me much.

[​IMG]

4. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    rberumen2

rberumen2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Is the vinyl still removable? I heard it's not easy to take off as it is. And I go offroading everyonce in a blue moon. Mostly street tho

5. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's more easily removable than paint...and I'd go that route if I were going to do this.

6. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    I've read some threads about the vinyl being a BITCH to put onto the valence. Chris4x4 just painted someone's valence on here, in the pics it looked great...maybe someone can find that thread for you

7. Oct 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    My friend does vinyl for race cars...It is not that bad to take off and much easier than paint. I will likely keep it on unless they come off somehow on the trails

8. Oct 29, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    I did the lower valence vinyl "mod" a little while ago. I love the look, but yeah it is a pain in the A** to get it perfect. The top and front flat parts are the easiest, and you can get it really smooth if you take your time. The lower/underside is where the trouble really lies. There are quite a few hills and valleys under there, so the vinyl has a tendency to not want to go in without a few ripples, but to be honest it won't make a difference. Since the vinyl is black you won't see any of the defects unless you specifically look at the underside of the bumber. If you have the factory skid plate as well, it will cover it right up.

I got my vinyl at a local art store. The sold it by the yard. Only cost me about $8 (CAD) for 3 yards (roughtly 9 Feet). I got extra just in case. The roll was about 14 inches wide which was more than enough to cover the whole centre lower valence.

If you don't like it, its easy to take it off. Do it, you won't regret it.

9. Oct 29, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    A heat gun makes the fitting much easier.

10. Oct 29, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    I painted mine, but to each his own.

11. Oct 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    The Heat gun work cause it lets you mold the vinyl. The grade of vinyl I used is easier to mold cause it has air pockets...here is what she looks like today.

[​IMG]

12. Oct 29, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    how easy was it to cut and mold it for something odd like those fender flares? i wanna try it on my fender flares to see if i like it for when i get my bushwackers :D

plus if i like it i wont colour match my all pro front bumper when i get that

13. Oct 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    TRICOMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    My friend did it so he molded it first and then cut it...I am sure if you take your time it will come out nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top