1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

does anyone have a FOUR WHEEL CAMPER pop up?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aficianado, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Oct 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i want one! that is why i am hoping and praying my dealership will do the rear leaf TSB on my (new to me) used truck. he wants to see it tomorrow morning, knowing good and well that i have 39k miles on my rig. (he said i am covered, and i am not going to argue) if not, i will beef it up with other options and on my own dime.

anyone running this type of pop up camper? seems like a great option for some of my backwoods hunting trips. add a small utility trailer for hauling my target game animal..and i am good to go!

any pro/cons? more importantly...any pictures?

2. Oct 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    DblD

DblD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SW Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRD/OR - Prem. & Tech.
  3. Oct 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I had a pop-up camper (not by Four wheel campers) on my 96 Tacoma (which had the TSB, and yes 10 years later Toyota still hasn't learned there lesson!).
    Although my unit was probably heavier then the Four Wheel models, I would still recommend air bags. They worked great for me and made the truck much safer. Even with the TSB on your tuck you will probably need them. I have the TSB on my 08, and as much as it is an improvement, I doubt it will handle a camper and all your gear.
    I went on 3 3+week trips with my pop-up and had a great time. My only complaint is that because your bed is used, you don't have a much room for other things (i.e. BBQ, bikes etc.) and I found that because of that, every stop I had to unload everything from the back and store it under the truck. I also found that if I stayed somewhere for several days and wanted to go out with my truck I either had to pack everything up, or slide out the camper which was a pain.

Anyways I ended up selling it, and plan to buy a Fleetwood E1 tow behind pop-up, that way I still have use of the bed.
    I have pictures on my computer somewhere of my slide-in if your inetersted.

I hope I didn't change your mind as I had alot of fun with mine and thought it was pretty neat. Just though I would share my experience.

Shawn

4. Oct 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  5. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    COKE!!! that is badass! way cheaper than a pop up!! aobut 70% cheaper!!! that my work!

6. Nov 1, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I am glad to help. :) I would love to get one too.

7. Nov 1, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Oh god. I could never imagine towing something in the terrain I usually traverse, coupled with my reckless driving. That thing would be trashed or broken off my hitch in the first 10 miles.

http://www.bajataco.com/vehicles/vince_tacoma_flippac.html

I really like the flippac, and this guy seems to have good luck with it offroad.

8. Nov 1, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    slooowr6

slooowr6 Member

Member:
    I've ATC Bobcat, same as FWC Eagle, on my Tacoma. It's good to have TSB done but you'll still need air bag or helper spring with the weight of the camper.:)

9. Aug 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    scottosky

scottosky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scottosky
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 2000 3.4 L TRD
    My vehicle: Tacoma 2000 3.4L V6 4x4 package. I have mounted on it a Four Wheel pop-up Camper, an older model than what's advertised on the following URL: http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/. I do like the new models. Great engineering.

Before the pop-up was on the truck I had installed, Hellwig Load levelers (LP-15 Hellwig kit) and replaced the original shocks with KYB Monomax shocks. It works for me. My wife and I have taken it off-road through Oregon, Nevada, California and Utah.
    Years of tent camping and old creaky muscles and joints made the decision to move to a Pop-up. We can go where RV can't, it's been a great comprise.

I would highly suggest, if you go in this direction to add an upgraded suspension system.
    It's your decision as to what that might be.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  10. Aug 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    harleyg

harleyg Landscape Photographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Harley
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner AC 2.7 Leer 180
    I have a Tacoma and an F150 4x4. I have a Northstar popup on the Ford. It is a very, very comfortable camping rig. It will kill your gas mileage, as it is like having a parachute on top of your truck, but the comfort is worth it.

I had airbags and the holes drilled caused my frame to crack. I researched it and frame cracking from the mounting holes is not considered all that unusual with a lot of weight on it. I got the frame welded and switched to helper springs. They do the job nicely (and they never develop leaks).

11. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    I've got one and I love it!
    I know this thread is a few years old but the TSB leaf pack will not carry a FWC. I have a slightly built out shell model Finch and I had the TSB previously. I blew out one shock in the back and overstressed the leaf pack and that was with my flippac.

Products Discussed in

To Top