Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Slow 0-60 times

Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #21
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aww1970 View Post
Its a truck!

If you want a good 0-60 time get a mustang...
I concur. Anyhow supercharging the taco w/ a lift and 33's equals 0 traction. Even in 4wd at 50 mph at wot i can still get the taco squiggly.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl34 View Post
4,500 ft. I guess that could be it. Has anyone ran times at different elevations to see how different they can be?

At close to a mile high, that is exactly your problem. When we run at bandimere speedway just outside of denver we are usually at a minimum 3 tenths off our sea level times. That is with a new tune and everything leaned out.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #23
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm sure it has a lot to do with your elevation... At a mile above here in Montana, my truck runs pretty good. I took it to Seattle last week, and all I can say is shit rips at sea level... So don't lose too much sleep over it.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #25
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aww1970 View Post
Its a truck!

If you want a good 0-60 time get a mustang...
How is that a reasonable response to a person whose perception of the vehicle's performance does not seem to be getting close to the performance figures published by the manufacturer?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #26
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
How is that a reasonable response to a person whose perception of the vehicle's performance does not seem to be getting close to the performance figures published by the manufacturer?
x2. Also, if you do not care about the 0-60mph times of a truck, just don't click on this thread??? Save your 2 cents the economy is rough
Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #27
fl34 is on a distinguished road

fl34's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well said. I can't understand why people even waste their time trying to ridicule people's concerns instead of something constuctive on the forums.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure the answer is the altitude. I'm not losing sleep craving for the fastest 0-60 times, I was just curious and also wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. I grew up in California and go back and forth to sea level frequently and used to notice a huge difference in my old car, but the car I've had for the last few years has a turbo so I guess I forgot.

Also, for 0-60 times I use an iPhone app called dynolicious that uses the accelerometers in conjunction with GPS. It seems to be pretty accurate. If you have an iPhone you should definitely check it out. It does a bunch of other cool stuff too.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #28
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Also, the times might be different between a 6spd and an auto
Old 10-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #29
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Wow...

So many replies and no answers:

So he has a 4x4, wants to compare to other Taco's 0-60' times, why beat him up. Did not see anyone else get reemed for throwing Vid's of there times. Come on TW. It's not a crime to want a fast 4x4... is it

To OP:
If you are stock, don't expect anything in the 7's. Plus I will tell you that vids are weak. get an X-1 and it will humble many. I thought I had a low 6 sec w/my set up, but with X-1 it's more like 6.8sec. And thats cool for me N/A 4x4 AC with 33" tires

Compare around to similar set ups and go from there. 6-7sec moded, 8-9 stock depending on model. Also, TRD and URD SC = good gains....

Enjoy your Taco
Old 10-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #30
fl34 is on a distinguished road

fl34's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
sounds like a good way to BREAK her in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenekos View Post
Sounds like a good break in you're doing on that new taco
What's with the comments about breaking the car by testing the 0-60? The manual says to avoid rapid acceleration before 1000 miles, I would assume that once you've passed that break in period it's not gonna destroy your engine by mashing the pedal for a few seconds in a straight line. What do you guys think; is it a real concern to accelerate rapidly with only a couple thousand miles on the odometer or are these just the comments of folks who never pass trucks on the highway or take their truck off road because their afraid its gonna break it?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #31
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
What's with the comments about breaking the car by testing the 0-60? The manual says to avoid rapid acceleration before 1000 miles, I would assume that once you've passed that break in period it's not gonna destroy your engine by mashing the pedal for a few seconds in a straight line. What do you guys think; is it a real concern to accelerate rapidly with only a couple thousand miles on the odometer or are these just the comments of folks who never pass trucks on the highway or take their truck off road because their afraid its gonna break it?
Ha Ha Ha.... Don't Fret... there be some conservative opinions on this board.
I would never take my truck to red line, thats TABOO
Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #32
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
So many replies and no answers:

So he has a 4x4, wants to compare to other Taco's 0-60' times, why beat him up. Did not see anyone else get reemed for throwing Vid's of there times. Come on TW. It's not a crime to want a fast 4x4... is it
x2

EVERY thread I have ever started regarding performance has attracted overbearing people preaching and giving their unwanted opinion of how you should not care about the road performance of these trucks.

I get so tired of folks preaching each time. If you start ANY thread about ANYTHING remotely pertaining to performance- you are going to get at least 3 comments saying "its a truck, why do you care", 4 comments reminding you "its illegal and dangerous to speed" (even if you are doing it on a track or closed road- they assume you are doing it on a highway, in the rain, in front of a school), and 3 comments informing you to "get a car if you want to go fast". Lastly you will be very lucky if a momerator does not shut you down before it even gets that far.
I would NOT have gotten this truck if it was one of the slower trucks out there. There is a reason motor trend lists the 0-60 times of these truck- BECAUSE PEOPLE CARE….. Unless you are an old man and your balls don’t work anymore.

I suppose the next thread where people are talking about offroad performance I am going to chime in that “if you care about that, you should have gotten a Jeep Wrangler.”
Old 10-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #33
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
I have no idea how quick mine is.
I will say that my '07 4Runner is a lot quicker and that I sold my '02 Camaro SS to buy my truck so quickness wasn't a determining factor.
x2 my 07 4-runner is much quicker than my taco, I have about 5500 miles on my truck now and it seems alot stronger than it did @ 1000 miles even before the CAI & Cat back.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #34
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
i must agree with you guys on something...i dont think it is wrong to have an opinion or to give it to others, but it shouldn't be forced upon someone as pure hard fact and "the only way" it should be. but as informative and knowledge rich these forums are.....its sure damn entertaining.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #35
aww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to beholdaww1970 is a splendid one to behold
aww1970's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't realize the manufacturer published 0-60 times that your truck should do?

Oh ya, so I stay on topic; If you get 10 guys driving the same vehicle comparing their 0-60 times you will see a difference. We are basically talking about 1 second here that the OP is looking for. Fuel, altitude, engine temp, driver, could all be responsible for 1 second, especially in a 6 cyl. P/U truck.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #36
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
If you need 0-60 zip and it needs to be a Toyota one of these:

Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #37
crawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the roughcrawl is a jewel in the rough
Name: Greg
crawl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's with the comments about breaking the car by testing the 0-60?...
absolutely nothing wrong with a hard break-in. drive it like you stole it
Old 10-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #38
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
I've seen vids of a 2nd gen going 0-60 in 6.1 sec with just the TRD exhaust and TRD CAI. Maybe turn off traction control and try on a closed track with a better timing system.
That is my video I think, and it's now down to 5.9 secs with the headers. Still need to do a re-map on my MAF Sensor Cal. and it might pick up another tenth.

To get 5.9 though I kind of "cheat" in a way. I lower my tire pressure for better traction and I pre-load on the throttle. I don't think toyota is doing this when they test 0-60.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQFyhYqxC8
Old 10-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #39
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I timed closer to 7 seconds in your vid...in the first one anyway. The second one seemed quicker.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #40
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I timed closer to 7 seconds in your vid...in the first one anyway. The second one seemed quicker.
I didn't... I start the time when I hear my wheels start spinning and I get around the times stated...