1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Advice - New Truck Was Painted Prior to Sale

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    I would never do it without your consent. I hope it works out in your favor!

2. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    To all...your willingness to help is greatly appreciated. PLEASE do not contact either of these dealerships on my behalf. Right now, I think that the negotiations I am in will deteriorate if that happens.

There is still hope for a resolution. Debra Latiolais called me after I got home, about 30 minutes after I posted about that shitty phone call with the numbers I had been waiting for. I thanked her for getting back to me so quickly (I was truly happy about this).

Here are the numbers she gave me. Please look these over and let me know if I am getting a good deal. I want to know if I am ending up with a GREAT deal on a 4x4 Sport. I don't care about each individual number as much as the sum of all parts.

Trade Value - 2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 6spd, O/R Pkg, Tow Pkg, 7 speaker AM/FM/CD, and some other things
    4,590 mi.

Koons will pay $23,000
    KBB.com, in Excellent Condition; $23,025
    http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?YearId=2009&Mileage=4589&VehicleClass=UsedCar&ManufacturerId=49&ModelId=300&PriceType=Trade-In&VehicleId=227149&SelectionHistory=227149%7c31981%7c20120%7c0%7c0%7c2303022%7ctrue%7c2303027%7ctrue%7c2303035%7ctrue%7c2303043%7ctrue%7c2303045%7ctrue%7c2303053%7ctrue%7c2303054%7ctrue%7c2303082%7ctrue%7c2303061%7ctrue%7c2882803%7ctrue%7c2303096%7ctrue%7c2303123%7ctrue%7c2303130%7ctrue%7c2303146%7ctrue%7c2303159%7ctrue%7c2303043%7ctrue%7c2303045%7ctrue%7c2303082%7ctrue%7c2303146%7ctrue&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=

I paid $24,401 + Tax, Tags, etc = $25,647.
    This is a loss of $2,647

They have a 2010 Tacoma 4WD Sport V6 6-Spd, Tow Pkg, and possibly some other things.
    MSRP $27,108
    They will sell for $25,908 + Tax, Tags, etc. = $27,140

Obviously, if I take that with the loss I essentially pay $27,140 + the $2,647 loss = $29,787 for this truck. A certainly shitty deal.

They mentioned that they could probably get Allen Toyota to contribute $1263 (the repair amount). This would get me to $28,524 for a 4x4 Sport.

What do you think?

My other alternatives are to try to negotiate some with Koons and they may come down a little. Another alternative is to see if Toyota Motor Sales USA will contribute against the balance of the loss.

My goal is to wrap this up before the new year. I need this problem out of my life. I can also deduct sales taxes on two vehicles on this years return which will help some.

3. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    They should give you what you paid for your truck plus the tax and tags. Your slate should be "wiped clean" of the old truck and you can start over with a new and more expensive one. Thats the least they can do after all your aggravation.

4. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    One more thought...and I will probably need a moderator's help with this.

If I go through on this deal and take a loss, if Toyota is not willing to help me absorb the loss I thought about adding to my first post a summary of the results and adding this poll;

I have read this post in its entirety and understand that this customer absorbed a loss of $XXXX to trade in a hurricane damaged vehicle which he unknowingly purchased as 'new'. After reading this post

-My feelings about Toyota Motor Sales USA are more positive
    -My feelings about Toyota Motor Sales USA have not changed
    -My feelings about Toyota Motor Sales are more negative, but I would reconsider if Toyota helped this customer.
    -My feelings about Toyota Motor Sales are more negative, and I would not reconsider my feelings.

Possibly let this run for 30 days (as a sticky?) and then send the link to Toyota with the promise that I will post the outcome.

5. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i think they should honor you with what you paid for initially for the truck, then have allen contribute that 1200 on top of your 25647 then you pay THAT difference of about $300

6. Dec 10, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    theres no reason for them not to give you every cent you paid them (including taxes). they put you in an unsafe vehicle in which airbags may possibly not deploy.

whether it was their fault or not, they should pay it out then work it out with the other dealer. however, it should be up to you to pay any difference for a new vehicle

7. Dec 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    That would be the ideal. I'm willing to accept less than ideal, but I don't intend to take an ass raping. If I end up with having paid 'a little too much' for a 4x4 Sport I'm ok with that. The difference between a decent deal and 'a little too much' is worth this aggravation coming to an end. Right now I think I'd be taking the raping, unless some money came from Allen or TMS.

Ah! I need to do a search for those "Did I get a good price?" and "How much did you pay?" threads!

8. Dec 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    Only you can decide if the additional monies you will spend are worth it for a new truck and the end of the situation. What are you willing to pay to move on? I'd be tempted, but I don't think I'd settle quite yet.

A few opinions: I don't think the discount on the 2010 is anything special and they should be able to do better.

The poll won't be effective. If I was to answer it right now, I would say that my opinion of Toyota Motor Sales has not changed. Your beef is with Koons, and I don't have any problem with Toyota not interceding in a civil matter between a customer and a dealership.

Once you agree to resolve your situation through the exchange of money or vehicle, you should not expect any additional refunds or payments if it's not written in the sales contract. Neither Allen's or TMS USA are going to send you a check out of the goodness of their hearts, and Koons cannot obligate payment from others. They can first credit you the monies and then they can collect from the others.

9. Dec 10, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    SManZ

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    These are really good points. You're probably right about the poll...it was an idea but now that I think about it the way you mentioned, you're right.

Same with the loss-balancing issue with the other dealer and TMS. Debra faxed the spec sheets on the truck to my office (my only accessible fax machine) that I am looking at trading in. I'm leaving now to go get them. After I review them I'll have a better idea what I'm actually paying for. You're right...It would be best to see what Koons would try to get out of this dealer and see if they will deduct that cost for me. They already mentioned that they would have gone after Allen for the $1263 in damages. If $1500-$2000 was taken off the price they quoted me I could live with that.

10. Dec 10, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    brickisred

brickisred Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (still) Looking for Tacoma Prerunner 2wd
    What about the idea of NOT purchasing another damn truck from these assholes. They are making it seem like they are helping you, but they are really just selling you another truck. So they can turn around and unload yours to some poor schlub... So they can make some more $ on the piece of shite...

I know it's easier to write a bunch of well-intentioned letters than sit down in front of a human being and get them to make it right. I think at this point you absolutely need to get hold of Toyota. Obviously the dealer is not helping...

If not that, then don't let them talk you into waiting on a damage payment or some such nonsense from Allen. THEY can take off the damages, no problem, then settle up with Allen.

11. Dec 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM
    Artiz

Artiz This space is in BLANK mode.

Member:
    Toyota Motor Sales really have to get involved in this, as soon as possible, I'm pretty sure they will make sure the dealers who screwed you up pay for what they did, it's not in Toyota's values to have a customer face that kind of a deal because a Toyota dealer screwed him up.

I hope everything turns out fine, Toyota isn't the world's biggest vehicle maker for nothing.

12. Dec 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    they (toyota) removed a franchise from a shoddy dealer in SC within the last year or so. they will take action if they see fit.

13. Dec 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    I think that would be a good deal for you. Anything less is a good deal for them.

14. Dec 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    WCJR

WCJR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    W
    Do not let them take you for even one penney.
    They cheated you and i am sure the state would fight to get you back all you paid.
    I also would not deal with these crooks.
    Believe me they knew about the truck from square one.
    If you are happy then go for it.

15. Dec 10, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    I fully agree with everything but the highlighted portion. A parent shouldn't interfere with an argument between children until it gets out of hand. Toyota is the parent, the governing body and therefore should step in, at a point, and protect its customer. I can gaurantee you that if they were to take away Koons dealership, that another one will pop up right next to it. Someone is itching for a Yota dealer in that area, and am sure they will shell out the money if the territory opened. Toyota has long seen the value of its customers and taking care of them. Our domestic automakers are the ones who have forgotten that the customer puts the food on the table.

16. Dec 10, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    And if you are happy with the deal, i am sorry for this then. Koons is still not taking care of you. They are trying to get you for as much as they can. In the end you take that deal, they make money 4 different ways. Selling you the 1st truck, and meeting a sales goal. Selling you another truck and meeting another sales goal. You then contributed to their profit margin. Just my $.02. As I said before though, you must be happy above anyone else.

17. Dec 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    Dude you hold the cards in this case. you have a solid legal case. you should be telling koons that you want a full refund of your purchase including tax and tags.and you need to go to a new dealership with a summary of this thread and ask them if they want this opportunity to take your business from koons. Under no way would i accept anything less. i purcahsed my truck for less then 27,000 no special discounts.
    so you are getting the trade-in value not a refund loss 2,647
    and you are getting a truck for less then msrp = who doesn't so this is of no value msrp is not there cost ( is there any one here that can tell use dealer cost on this new truck?)they are probly still making money on u
    so basicly what i am trying to say is that they are ripping you $2,647 and giving you the same discount that they would / could give anyone and still make more money on you.
    and on top of it they will turn around and sell your truck for 25000 or 24000 and make another grand or 2

18. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Wow...I can't add to much. Most of what I want to say has already been said. Bottom line...I'm willing to go to bat for you. Be it a letter to Toyota Corp or to answer a simple poll. I think you are getting screwed. I bet Koons will benefit from that deal. They will make MORE MONEY THAN THEY HAVE TODAY because of this deal. That doesn't sit right.

It's like stealing someones lunch and selling it back to them for a "fair" price.

For what its worth, I paid $27,300 for a 2009 4x4 Sport with the tow package. This was OTD and included the 6% sales tax. Plus, they gave me MORE than what KBB suggested my 2004 TRD was worth.

19. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    i would tell them that you want 100% of what you paid to them back. Then they can compete with other dealers on your new vehicle purchase.

20. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    If they could guarantee the $1200 from Allen, I'd probably take the deal and run. The difference would be around $1400. And you have driven the truck for a while which is worth something to you and the resale % on the 4x4 will probably be higher than the prerunner.

It's a tough decision but I think it may be worth the piece of mind you would achieve.

Good luck!!

Products Discussed in

To Top