Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd Gen Tacoma Reg Cab 2WD

Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
ProCompTacoma is on a distinguished road
ProCompTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Tacoma Reg Cab 2WD

Hello Guys,

I have recently leveled my truck with Readylift. I have gotten an alignment (the tech said he will go by the Tacoma PreRunner Specs) but the truck seems wobbly @ high speeds and the steering wheel starts shaking @ high speeds not to mention if I go over a bit of bump the truck feels like its going to air born. I have Procomp 265 75 16 tires put on.

My question is what can I do to fix this problem I donít know much about this type of stuff all I know that the truck needs assistance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Poor alignment. What are the specs? Printout? Also, could be tire balance. As for the ride, spacers useually give a poor ride.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
with a name like procomp tacoma, i thought you would have a procomp lift? welcome to tw
Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
with a name like procomp tacoma, i thought you would have a procomp lift? welcome to tw

lol yeah huh... I have ProComp Wheels Tire's and rear shocks
Old 10-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Poor alignment. What are the specs? Printout? Also, could be tire balance. As for the ride, spacers useually give a poor ride.
Thank you... Which specs the truck or the print out of the alignment? I did not get one unless it was attached to the paperwork. Is there anything I can tell them when I take it back to go over those specifications as oppose to something the guy did?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCompTacoma View Post
lol yeah huh... I have ProComp Wheels Tire's and rear shocks
oh yeah i never thought about that.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Attached is my alignment done twice. I alos have re balanced my truck twice. Please let me know if you can view the attachments. I just think the shop does not know how to align the truck correctly...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aligenment.pdf (139.9 KB, 176 views)
Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Attached is my alignment done twice. I alos have re balanced my truck twice. Please let me know if you can view the attachments. I just think the shop does not know how to align the truck correctly...
doesnt even look like they did anything. The only adjustment was toe and that has nothing to do with the lift. if there is any toe out the truck will wander really bad if you let go of the wheel it will pull to left and right depending on wheel position. a little toe in gives you good steering feel but will wear your tires and kill gas mileage. Zero toe is good (what you have)
Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
doesnt even look like they did anything. The only adjustment was toe and that has nothing to do with the lift. if there is any toe out the truck will wander really bad if you let go of the wheel it will pull to left and right depending on wheel position. a little toe in gives you good steering feel but will wear your tires and kill gas mileage. Zero toe is good (what you have)
Well my question is what should my alignment be? I just want to get this thing fixed. My lift is not even a lift its just a leveling from readylift
Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well my question is what should my alignment be? I just want to get this thing fixed. My lift is not even a lift its just a leveling from readylift
everything was in spec but at the high end of it. the vibe probably isnt from the alignment. the leveling kit is a 2.25" spacer so you are indead lifting the front 2.25" which could throw off your camber which is probably why you are at the high end of the spec.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
Quote:
everything was in spec but at the high end of it. the vibe probably isnt from the alignment. the leveling kit is a 2.25" spacer so you are indead lifting the front 2.25" which could throw off your camber which is probably why you are at the high end of the spec.

What would you do to fix this problem?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment looks good. I would want tthe Camber closer to 0*
Old 11-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #13

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
well a few more questions to start like what tires at what load range. Leveling kits (top plate spacer) should give you a close to stock ride since they dont add preload unless its a coil spacer. Harsh ride could be atributed to higher load tires. What year is your truck how many miles? if its an older truck higher miles the wheel bearings could be tired and the addition of heavier wider tires could cause bearing weakness to be more noticable... tons of variables
Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Quote:
well a few more questions to start like what tires at what load range. Leveling kits (top plate spacer) should give you a close to stock ride since they dont add preload unless its a coil spacer. Harsh ride could be atributed to higher load tires. What year is your truck how many miles? if its an older truck higher miles the wheel bearings could be tired and the addition of heavier wider tires could cause bearing weakness to be more noticable... tons of variables

Well my truck is 2006 2nd generation tacoma reg cab with only 40k miles. I only added the readylift to the truck and the bigger tires. 265 75 16
Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #15

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
ok so wheel bearings are probably fine. Its tough to say without looking at and driving the truck. the harsher ride is likely the tires so what are the tire details... model and load range? how bad does it shake. if you let go of the steering wheel does the shaking get worse? does the truck hold a straight line? is the vibration when you foot is on the accelarator or is it all the time? alot of questions but im trying to get a better idea of whats goin on
Old 11-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
Quote:
ok so wheel bearings are probably fine. Its tough to say without looking at and driving the truck. the harsher ride is likely the tires so what are the tire details... model and load range? how bad does it shake. if you let go of the steering wheel does the shaking get worse? does the truck hold a straight line? is the vibration when you foot is on the accelarator or is it all the time? alot of questions but im trying to get a better idea of whats goin on

Tires are the ProComp All Train tires it usually will start to rattle a bit on gas and when I let go of the gas. It's funny cause I dont really see much of shaking on higher speeds. My tires are like couple of months old and I dont even think I have put on 1000miles on them since the lift
Old 11-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #17

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Those are E load range giving you the harsh ride.

in your original post it says shaking at high speeds. What speeds does it shake at?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
Quote:
Those are E load range giving you the harsh ride.

in your original post it says shaking at high speeds. What speeds does it shake at?

depends around 65 and up. IF I press the gas at those speeds the truck seems to be fine but when I let go the steering wheel tends to rattle a bit but at times not all the time
Old 11-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #19

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tires are the ProComp All Train tires it usually will start to rattle a bit on gas and when I let go of the gas. It's funny cause I dont really see much of shaking on higher speeds. My tires are like couple of months old and I dont even think I have put on 1000miles on them since the lift
Quote:
depends around 65 and up. IF I press the gas at those speeds the truck seems to be fine but when I let go the steering wheel tends to rattle a bit but at times not all the time
Which is it? Anyway a bad u joint in the truck will be smooth when on the gas and vibrate when coasting. Throw the ebrake on put the truck in nuetral and pull on the drive shaft side to side should be no play.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
Quote:
Which is it? Anyway a bad u joint in the truck will be smooth when on the gas and vibrate when coasting. Throw the ebrake on put the truck in nuetral and pull on the drive shaft side to side should be no play.

I am really new at this stuff sorry but what is the U joint? What can I do to fix this anoying problem?