Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are the tailgates / cables really strong?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #21
runamok27 is on a distinguished road
runamok27's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Tacoma Access cab and transport my 2007 CBR600RR to trackdays and haul around my 2006 Yamaha FZ1. The CBR only weighs about 400 lbs but the FZ1 weighs well over 450 lbs. I load the bikes with the tailgate still on and it has not been a problem.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #22
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
Do you ride the bike onto the truck runamok, or do you walk it up?
By the way, you sound native Indian ????LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
eyball is on a distinguished road

eyball's Tacoma Gallery
I am wondering if my Katana will be cool transporting. Its a heavy 600 at about 450 wet. I am worried about the back tire resting on the tailgate since I have a double cab.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #24
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
I have carried several bikes in the back at this point and just use the "slightly angled" approach to get the rear tire completely off of the tailgate. Even straight in, a 76 CB750 just barely had the rear tire resting on about 3 niches of the tailgate. No problems.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #25
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyball View Post
I am wondering if my Katana will be cool transporting. Its a heavy 600 at about 450 wet. I am worried about the back tire resting on the tailgate since I have a double cab.
I've got solution you might want to try ...

Put a slab of 3/4" plywood in your truck bed. Will distribute the load off a concentrated area on the tailgate.

Also, when you first put the bike into the truck bed and may have put it on sidestand for a minute ... plywood will take the hit of the sidestand, not your expensive truckbed.

I have a 6ft truck bed with my '88 and built a plywood thingy to simulate the 79 inches with tailgate down .... there is just enough room to load a dirt bike and get the ramp off (your Katana is shorter wheelbase than a dirt bike).
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #26
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a Gen 2 double cab recently, looks like dude used truck bed quite a bit for work. Body on the truck looked, but the tailgate was bowed, bent to heck !
Old 03-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
The newer 08's should have the redesigned tailgates. Just check to make sure.

Sethmark on Toyotanation designed and sold a steel plate to cover the tailgate instead of the plastic cover. With that on he rode an 800lb ATV and 250lb rider up a ramp to the tailgate. The cables stretched, but held. So I don't think you have to worry about the cables!

The tailgate on the other hand.... Get a new truck with the new tailgate, get an older truck and have the TSB done, or reinforce it yourself. I did 2 bars of angle iron in mine (top and bottom edges) so it's probably stronger than anything by Toyota.

Check the link in my sig for the write up.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #28
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm3bow View Post
peace to my native-american brothers. huitzilopoctchli blesses you. I'm 200lbs, and my sis is 'bout 160lbs, n' my bro is 'bout 140lbs, we all sat on my tailgate down n' it didn't break. should be good for 500lbs at least. =)
Were you all standing in the middle on each other's shoulders?

The tailgate can hold weight IF (and only IF) it's evenly distributed. The sheet metal is very weak in the center and will buckle if you don't spread the weight out.

So if you're loading a bike cover the tailgate with a piece of wood. ATV's, lawn mowers, other 2 wheel items are fine because the weight sits in 2 spots on the outside edges of the tailgate.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #29
waynea4 is on a distinguished road
waynea4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stucksucksnayota View Post
Well I've been reading this thread and thought i would chime in. We do alot of 4wheeler riding which means riding the 4wheeler up into the back of the truck on ramps. I have an 01 double cab 4x4 trd and a 2004 yamaha big bear and i think that the dry weight on this bike is around 450 to 500 pounds may be a little bit lighter but I weigh around 250Lbs and i ride the 4wheeler up the ramps into the truck and have never had a problem at all. I dont think i would worry about the cables breaking or your tailgate bending

Heck its a Toyota remember LOL

This was my only worry with my 08', I have a 800 polaris and that thing is like a tank. I cant take the tailgate off because the length of the 800, I am not sure if my 08' has the new tailgate either. Guess I will load it up and see what happens, or just hook a trailer up and not risk bending the gate!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #30
eyball is on a distinguished road

eyball's Tacoma Gallery
I think loading a quad or lawnmower is one thing becuase like people have said, youa re spreading the weight and its near the outer edges of the tailgate. With the bike al the weight is in one small spot.

If I do have to transport my bike in the truck I think I will put in some plywood first to help distrubute the weight. I guess the cables are fin though if they can handle 500+ pounds.