1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are the tailgates / cables really strong?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cycledrum, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Feb 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM
    runamok27

runamok27 Member

Member:
    I have a Tacoma Access cab and transport my 2007 CBR600RR to trackdays and haul around my 2006 Yamaha FZ1. The CBR only weighs about 400 lbs but the FZ1 weighs well over 450 lbs. I load the bikes with the tailgate still on and it has not been a problem.

2. Feb 19, 2008 at 4:54 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    Do you ride the bike onto the truck runamok, or do you walk it up?
    By the way, you sound native Indian ????LOL

3. Mar 6, 2008 at 8:20 PM
    eyball

eyball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    I am wondering if my Katana will be cool transporting. Its a heavy 600 at about 450 wet. I am worried about the back tire resting on the tailgate since I have a double cab.

4. Mar 7, 2008 at 7:08 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    I have carried several bikes in the back at this point and just use the "slightly angled" approach to get the rear tire completely off of the tailgate. Even straight in, a 76 CB750 just barely had the rear tire resting on about 3 niches of the tailgate. No problems.

5. Mar 7, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    cycledrum

cycledrum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Union City, CA
    Vehicle:
    88 4X4 Pickup xtra cab, SR5
    I've got solution you might want to try ...

Put a slab of 3/4" plywood in your truck bed. Will distribute the load off a concentrated area on the tailgate.

Also, when you first put the bike into the truck bed and may have put it on sidestand for a minute ... plywood will take the hit of the sidestand, not your expensive truckbed.

I have a 6ft truck bed with my '88 and built a plywood thingy to simulate the 79 inches with tailgate down .... there is just enough room to load a dirt bike and get the ramp off (your Katana is shorter wheelbase than a dirt bike).

6. Mar 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    cycledrum

cycledrum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Union City, CA
    Vehicle:
    88 4X4 Pickup xtra cab, SR5
    I saw a Gen 2 double cab recently, looks like dude used truck bed quite a bit for work. Body on the truck looked, but the tailgate was bowed, bent to heck !

7. Mar 7, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    The newer 08's should have the redesigned tailgates. Just check to make sure.

Sethmark on Toyotanation designed and sold a steel plate to cover the tailgate instead of the plastic cover. With that on he rode an 800lb ATV and 250lb rider up a ramp to the tailgate. The cables stretched, but held. So I don't think you have to worry about the cables!

The tailgate on the other hand.... :rolleyes: Get a new truck with the new tailgate, get an older truck and have the TSB done, or reinforce it yourself. I did 2 bars of angle iron in mine (top and bottom edges) so it's probably stronger than anything by Toyota.

Check the link in my sig for the write up.

8. Mar 8, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Were you all standing in the middle on each other's shoulders? :D

The tailgate can hold weight IF (and only IF) it's evenly distributed. The sheet metal is very weak in the center and will buckle if you don't spread the weight out.

So if you're loading a bike cover the tailgate with a piece of wood. ATV's, lawn mowers, other 2 wheel items are fine because the weight sits in 2 spots on the outside edges of the tailgate.

9. Mar 8, 2008 at 7:46 AM
    waynea4

waynea4 Active Member

Member:
    Western N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Red 08' Double Cab TRD Sport 4X4

This was my only worry with my 08', I have a 800 polaris and that thing is like a tank. I cant take the tailgate off because the length of the 800, I am not sure if my 08' has the new tailgate either. Guess I will load it up and see what happens, or just hook a trailer up and not risk bending the gate!

10. Mar 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    eyball

eyball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    I think loading a quad or lawnmower is one thing becuase like people have said, youa re spreading the weight and its near the outer edges of the tailgate. With the bike al the weight is in one small spot.

If I do have to transport my bike in the truck I think I will put in some plywood first to help distrubute the weight. I guess the cables are fin though if they can handle 500+ pounds.

Products Discussed in

To Top