LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are the tailgates / cables really strong?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Are the tailgates / cables really strong?

I see they switched to cables instead of the flat folding bars I have on my '88 pickup for securing the tailgate.

I hope those cables are plenty strong. Sometimes I haul a 500 lb motorcycle in my truck ... hate to have a cable give out going up the ramp.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
I would say your tail gate won't support a 500 pound motorcycle and a 200 pound rider.
I have thought about how I might load my Triumph in the truck and concluded that removing the tail gate and putting the ramps directly on the truck bed would be the safest option. Then put the gate back on.
Check your owners manual, because believe I have seen somewhere that the gate will only support 200 pounds or so. Yea, can you believe it?
Mine will flex ever so slightly when I step up on the middle and I weigh 200.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburt View Post
I would say your tail gate won't support a 500 pound motorcycle and a 200 pound rider.
I have thought about how I might load my Triumph in the truck and concluded that removing the tail gate and putting the ramps directly on the truck bed would be the safest option. Then put the gate back on.
Check your owners manual, because believe I have seen somewhere that the gate will only support 200 pounds or so. Yea, can you believe it?
Mine will flex ever so slightly when I step up on the middle and I weigh 200.
I don't own a Tacoma, just looking. If the tailgate won't support a bike going up a ramp, that would be bad. I'd hate to go through the hassle to unbolt/remove the tailgate for every load/unload.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
I have used mine w/ the tailgate down loading a 300 pound lawn tractor w/ my 200 pound carcuss on the seat without issues. If you don't put all the weight in the middle of the gate I don't think it is a problem.
I believe the gate will buckle in the middle with the weight smack in the middle and 700 pounds of motorcycle and rider.
There is a fix that i have seen on another site, but if your aware of it and carefull you should be fine.
The Toyota isn't heavy duty as a full size pickup would be, but then your not getting 10 miles per gallon either and you can get it into your garage.
Depends on what you want or what you can get buy with.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Quote:
I have used mine w/ the tailgate down loading a 300 pound lawn tractor w/ my 200 pound carcuss on the seat without issues. If you don't put all the weight in the middle of the gate I don't think it is a problem.
I believe the gate will buckle in the middle with the weight smack in the middle and 700 pounds of motorcycle and rider.
There is a fix that i have seen on another site, but if your aware of it and carefull you should be fine.
The Toyota isn't heavy duty as a full size pickup would be, but then your not getting 10 miles per gallon either and you can get it into your garage.
Depends on what you want or what you can get buy with.
My ramp is over a foot wide, so the load is spread. Also, I walk / push the bike onto the truck, never ride it on. I've got a question into a local dude with a 4x4 Access prerunner. He hauls motorcycles all the time.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
cycldrum I'm interested to hear what he has to say.
Does he haul dirt bikes, you know they don't weigh nearly as much to a full size street bike.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledrum View Post
I see they switched to cables instead of the flat folding bars I have on my '88 pickup for securing the tailgate.

I hope those cables are plenty strong. Sometimes I haul a 500 lb motorcycle in my truck ... hate to have a cable give out going up the ramp.
You'll find the cables to be stronger than the tailgate. Some have pulled apart their gates and reinforced them with additional steel. Might be worth investigating if you'll often be loading/unload from the gate.

As for removing the tailgate, it'll take under a minute once you see how it comes apart. It makes the cost of a locking latch seem pretty cheap considering the possible alternative.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up an old project bike (~600 lbs) last week and loaded in into and off of the truck without removing the bed. No problem. I didn't transport it with the weight on the tailgate though. I angled the bike diagonally in the bed so the rear was mostly on the bed.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
A piece of thick plywood would help displace the weight of the bike, I just wouldn't hang out on the tailgate, load the bike and go on.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Quote:
cycldrum I'm interested to hear what he has to say.
Does he haul dirt bikes, you know they don't weigh nearly as much to a full size street bike.
I'd think this guy hauls his GSXR1000 in his truck, he goes to trackdays. Haven't heard back from him yet.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
A piece of thick plywood would help displace the weight of the bike, I just wouldn't hang out on the tailgate, load the bike and go on.
I was thinking of something like that too ... like rolling the bike onto a piece of aluminum channel which would keep the front wheel from turning and hopefully keep the load off the tailgate. Could fashion a crossbar at front of bed to keep the channel in place without having to bolt into the truck bed.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #12
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=cvillechopper;56278]I just picked up an old project bike (~600 lbs) last week and loaded in into and off of the truck without removing the bed.

i think that would've been a little extreme if you did that.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 AM   #13
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
He meant removing the tail gate..........I hope.
Using a plywood sheet sounds to be the best idea. I will keep that in mind if I need to haul my bike someday.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=willard417;56492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
I just picked up an old project bike (~600 lbs) last week and loaded in into and off of the truck without removing the bed.

i think that would've been a little extreme if you did that.
Yeh... without removing the TAILGATE. Sometimes my hands don't listen to my brain.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
stucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the rough

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Well I've been reading this thread and thought i would chime in. We do alot of 4wheeler riding which means riding the 4wheeler up into the back of the truck on ramps. I have an 01 double cab 4x4 trd and a 2004 yamaha big bear and i think that the dry weight on this bike is around 450 to 500 pounds may be a little bit lighter but I weigh around 250Lbs and i ride the 4wheeler up the ramps into the truck and have never had a problem at all. I dont think i would worry about the cables breaking or your tailgate bending

Heck its a Toyota remember LOL
Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Master of the Universe
Flycatcher is on a distinguished road

Army: Platoon Leader, 2nd PLT Co A 1-128 Light Infantry
Flycatcher's Tacoma Gallery
The tailgates bend easy, there wouldn't be a TSB if they didn't. I think there is already one member here that bent one loading a bike. I bent mine unloading a ball and burlapped tree. Everyone who is loading gunsafes and 4wheelers and other things like that need to consider that the weight displacement is completely different. A motorcycle puts all its weight in 2 spots the size of your hand. A dirtbike or sportbike should probably be fine. Even the liter bikes are only around 400lbs these days. A cruiser or something plump like that might be too much. It couldn't hurt to take off the gate though or use plywood to disperse the weight. It takes seconds. Even if it does bend you can get it replaced for free.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
Fly, are you saying if I bend my talegate that Toyota will replace it under warrantee?
Are you serious?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fly, are you saying if I bend my talegate that Toyota will replace it under warrantee?
Are you serious?
Only if it's under the 3 year 36000 limit.