Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2010 Tacoma and TSB (suspension)

Old 11-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Luv2camp is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Missile Launch Officer
Luv2camp's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Tacoma and TSB (suspension)

We've been reading about the TSB and 4 leaf suspension, for 2008 and older Tacomas. Our 2010 Sport has the 3 leaf suspension.
Question: If you own a 2010 Tacoma, did the dealer install the 4-leaf suspension for you?
We need to know the most effective way to approach our dealer. We feel the 4 leaf would be a necessity for us since we will be towing a trailer.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
eddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant futureeddieEndo has a brilliant future
Name: Eddie
eddieEndo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eddieEndo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2camp View Post
We've been reading about the TSB and 4 leaf suspension, for 2008 and older Tacomas. Our 2010 Sport has the 3 leaf suspension.
Question: If you own a 2010 Tacoma, did the dealer install the 4-leaf suspension for you?
We need to know the most effective way to approach our dealer. We feel the 4 leaf would be a necessity for us since we will be towing a trailer.

The best option is not to deal with the dealership at all (or the service department fyi) they tend to either look for excuses not to do the tsb or try not to give you the whole package (a wrong tsb), what you want to do is to call the 1800 toyota number and to complain about a harsh ride, then the corporate toyota lady on the phone will actually schedule an appointment with a dealership of your choice to get the tsb done!!! this saves lots of arguing over what the tsb is or whether or not your car qualifies for the tsb, good luck finding the toyota number take my advice you'll save a headache!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
bucksnort06 will become famous soon enough
Name: pete
bucksnort06's Tacoma Gallery
anyone want to share the toyota number they called?? I want to get this done to my 09 as well. thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Hollicewood is on a distinguished road

Hollicewood's Tacoma Gallery
I was disappointed to see my new 2010 didn't have the 4 leaf springs. My salesman said the 4x4 had a stiffer suspension and I shouldn't have any trouble. We will see about that when I put my topper back on and load it up with my tools.
I had the TSB done on my 2008 and the difference was amazing. Much stiffer ride, better handling and better towing. Now I wish I would have swapped the 4 new Bilsteins before I traded in the truck. I think this time I might just try the add a leaf option and be done with it.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
magneticnick has a spectacular aura aboutmagneticnick has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
magneticnick's Tacoma Gallery
What is TSB?

And can somebody hood up the phone number. I only have 3 springs and I plan on towing my 18' jet boat. Do I need the 4th leaf for this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota's Customer Experience Center

Phone: 800-331-4331
Fax: 310-468-7814
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I'm sure you have the yellow sticker in the door. Don't think you stand a chance anymore. Yellow sticker was their cheap solution to the TSB springs IIRC.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
GTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura aboutGTVAPSAMTIK has a spectacular aura about

Army: Base Defense Systems
Name: SOHAIL
GTVAPSAMTIK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
I'm sure you have the yellow sticker in the door. Don't think you stand a chance anymore. Yellow sticker was their cheap solution to the TSB springs IIRC.
I just got my 2010 TRD 4x4 that does have a yellow sticker on the door. But truck have 3 leaf spring. What should I do.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
Just got a 2010 reg cab 4x4. It has the 3-leafers. The numbers on top of the leaf packs are 48210-04540-K RH, and 48220-04180-K LH, which do not match the weak 3-leafers, or the numbers given for the replacement TSB 4-leafers. I have not had a load in it to test yet, haven't had the truck long enough. I see the TSB specifies access and double cabs, but that some posters have had it done on their reg cabs.

Anyone know the deal here, why my numbers would be different from the other 3-leafers, and the TSB 4-leafers? Could it possibly be fixed for some new 3-leafers? Like I said, I haven't tested it yet under load, will very soon, but I gotta say it rides like it would have no trouble handling a rated load, but on the other hand it is my first Toyota truck and I have no basis for comparison. Just wondering if anyone has any more info yet, before I actually test it.

There is a yellow sticker in the door, it says the rated load is reduced by 9 lbs. That wouldn't seem to be a fix for weak 3-leaf springs...
Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I started by calling the 1 800 number to have it done on my 09. I complained of the harsh ride, mentioned I bought the truck to haul (which it doesn't do very well), and even mentioned potential safety issues. I was politely turned away. I then went to the dealer, ran through the same story and again, I was politely turned away. I'm pretty much giving up at this point and buying an AAL.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
roy826 will become famous soon enoughroy826 will become famous soon enough

roy826's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 has the yellow door sticker and it says "reduced by 13 lbs." How does 13 lbs. make or break a week spring pack.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
My 2010 has the yellow door sticker and it says "reduced by 13 lbs." How does 13 lbs. make or break a week spring pack.
Common sense says it doesn't. I don't know. Ask the damn lawyers that wrote the sticker.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Just got a 2010 reg cab 4x4. It has the 3-leafers. The numbers on top of the leaf packs are 48210-04540-K RH, and 48220-04180-K LH...
I have the 3 pack 48220 04190 K LH, and 48210 04550 K RH on my 2010 AC which do match the numbers in the TSB but K revision as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
jimajr is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
jimajr's Tacoma Gallery
Just called Toyota about mine. Gave them my part numbers which match the TSB. Got a case number and will talk to the dealer later today. Told them it bottomed out after putting about 500 pounds of gravel in the back. The cautioned me that the new springs would make a firmer ride and I should think about that. (no S#*T!). I have the yellow sticker too. The part number on my springs ends with a "K" also.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
jimajr is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
jimajr's Tacoma Gallery
Took it to the closest dealer from my house, about 10 mins. away. They told me take it where I bought it, About 45 mins away....WTF.... I might call Toyota back and complain.....
Old 12-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
Pyrite FD will become famous soon enoughPyrite FD will become famous soon enough

Pyrite FD's Tacoma Gallery
I had G revisions on my springs and it was never questioned. I wouldnt bring any of that up, just leave it at the part number.

I have a yellow sticker..think mine is reduced by 2xx lbs or something. That made no difference. There was no door jam inspection done. Never got a new one either.

I had no trouble getting mine done. Just keep trying dealerships till one says yes, which one will eventually that wants some business. I would imagine TSB work may not pay as much as a regular rip off job. They cant hike up the price when Toyota pays it I suspect. For this, I kinda think that dealerships in big cities that stay busy prob dont care that much if they do it or not.

Look for the thread that people post which dealerships did it without hassle..find one nearest you. Approach is the same as 2009 like mine, its not on the TSB so same deal. My dealer, like I said in another thread, told me that he got a memo back from toyo saying 09 and 10 would be added to it.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 AM   #18
damon is a splendid one to beholddamon is a splendid one to beholddamon is a splendid one to beholddamon is a splendid one to beholddamon is a splendid one to beholddamon is a splendid one to beholddamon is a splendid one to behold

Coast Guard: BM3
Name: Damon
damon's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 got the tsb 4 leafs

I noticed my spring numbers matched the TSB and called the Toyota 800# got an appointment and they got them installed a day or two later. They did try to say that it wasnt covered under the TSB...that I knew, but I had the TSB in hand and asked them to explain why I was having the same issues, with the same springs, and same part numbers to be changed out. They did the work, but insisted the ride would beat me to death...I love the ride now, my Father-n-law got his done after I told him about it, he has an 08, they told him no problem and they did his, but after I looked his over all they had done to his truck was put a new set of 3 leafs in....We got that fixed this morning, I went up to the dealership with him, thanks to all the info on here, I was able to plead his case, thanks to TW he is riding on 4 leafs now too.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
fireball1000 is on a distinguished road

Army: CPL 3/314 A co, ROTC instructor
Name: Mike
fireball1000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort06 View Post
anyone want to share the toyota number they called?? I want to get this done to my 09 as well. Thanks

1800 331 4331
Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
FirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud of
Marines:
FirstCohort's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

What if the yellow sticker says 0 difference? I have a big zero written on the sticker and have a 2010 DB LB 4x4 tacoma. The dealer is giving me the run around so I will be calling toyota customer care.