Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100's with Top Plate Spacers?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Senior Executive of Nothing.
Agent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the rough

Agent7's Tacoma Gallery
5100's with Top Plate Spacers?

Okay, so I realize that you can't obviously run a large 2-3" top plate spacer with the 5100's cause there would be way too much preload on the springs. How about the small 1/2"-3/4" spacers? Is it possible without overloading the springs? Also would it force the stock control arms down to far, or would they still be able to handle it? It doesn't seem like it would add so much that it would risk damaging the components but I would like to hear someone has done it with success before I attempt to do it. The whole reason is, I don't have rubbing issue's with my 33's when my truck isn't loaded (no actual cargo and not filled with people). As soon as I add around 500 hundred pounds of weight I will get some rubbing when the suspension compresses (only when turning though). I really just need an extra 3/4" clearance so that when there's a load on the suspension it won't rub the fender (my truck constantly has cargo/equipment in it). I don't want it to rub under regular driving condition while turning...

Thanks for any input!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of a grey area there. Some have had no issues running a small 10mm top plate, while others have needed to extra droop allowed by a uniball UCA.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You can run a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch spacer along with the billy 5100s but any lift 3" and above will put some stress on your stock UCAs and you'll end up with some alignment issues....I think
Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Oh so you could add a 1 inch spacer to the billys set at 1.75?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Agent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the roughAgent7 is a jewel in the rough

Agent7's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm... don't you love the grey areas. So Chris, the 10mm spacers land right inbetween the 1/4" and 1/2" spacers... and I assume your talking about the billy's set at 2.5"? So how much over all lift did it add? 5/8"? What 10mm spacers are they? And last but not least... do you have to remove the strut assembly to add them in or can you squeeze it without doing it? Thanks alot!

Somehow I think I'm going to be spending alot more money...
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent7 View Post
Hmmm... don't you love the grey areas. So Chris, the 10mm spacers land right inbetween the 1/4" and 1/2" spacers... and I assume your talking about the billy's set at 2.5"? So how much over all lift did it add? 5/8"? What 10mm spacers are they? And last but not least... do you have to remove the strut assembly to add them in or can you squeeze it without doing it? Thanks alot!

It's a sumbitch ain't it?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Personally, I wouldnt add the 10mm spacers without having UCA's that had a Uniball. The 10mm spacers need longer studs, so a disasemble of the spring/shock is in order to install them.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #8

Agent7's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I knew it... okay so like $60 for the spacer kit, $500 for UCA's, and because I'm already thinking I should have gone higher in the rear another $500 for a 3" leaf pack. This is probably going to wait until after Christmas... but for the mean time, I may just buy the 1/4" to get an additional 1/2" of lift and keep my eye on it. It may be all I need to get the clearance I want anyways. For $40 you can't go wrong. I like to dabble in the grey areas anyways...
Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Damn, I knew it... okay so like $60 for the spacer kit, $500 for UCA's, and because I'm already thinking I should have gone higher in the rear another $500 for a 3" leaf pack. This is probably going to wait until after Christmas... but for the mean time, I may just buy the 1/4" to get an additional 1/2" of lift and keep my eye on it. It may be all I need to get the clearance I want anyways. For $40 you can't go wrong. I like to dabble in the grey areas anyways...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Skyrebel88 is on a distinguished road
Skyrebel88's Tacoma Gallery
HAs anyone installed the 5100 with out the coil over and actuated the suspension to full compression to see if the strut bottomed first or the bump stop on the a arm? Anyone have issues with strut bottoming or cv boots tearing with the top plate spacer on both sides?