Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to engage rear locking differential?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
2beard is on a distinguished road
2beard's Tacoma Gallery
How to engage rear locking differential?

I just purchased an 07 Tacoma, 4x4 TRD etc...it has the rear differential locking option. I can not get the rear differential lock to engage. I tried switching to 4 Lo, then switching, tried 4 Lo, moved forward, stopped, put in neutral, then diff lock, etc...no matter what I try, the diff lock indicator light flashes.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
No idea. so you have come to a complete stop, put the truck in neutral, switched to 4lo, pressed the locker button, put the truck back into drive, and driven a few feet all in that order and nothing has happened? all i know is you have to be in 4 lo to engage the locker, and you have to do it in neutral then put it back into drive. if you have done all that in the correct order and it deosnt lock then it looks like its back to the dealer
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
4Lo, hit the switch, and then rock with the locker light flashing till it grabs.

If that doesn't work, try it with the steering wheel turned slightly when you rock the truck. That'll shift the gears in the differential and might do the trick.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
2beard's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the quick replies...did all of that...looks like it is warranty work.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beard View Post
thanks for the quick replies...did all of that...looks like it is warranty work.
As you roll forward, like MJP2 said you need to turn the wheels slightly, this will allow the locker to engage, as the pins and such may not be alligned correctly and will not do so untill you make enough of a turn that the inside and outside wheels have moved a different distance. It should not take much, and in practice, it wouldn't be an issue, Like if you were stuck in the mud, it is likely that one wheel would be turning and the other bogged down as without the locker engaged it is an open diff, but testing on pavement it will require a slight turn while moving.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
2beard's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try it again over lunch...I have 6-8 inches of new snow to play in...
Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
2beard's Tacoma Gallery
No luck...I went the length of the parking lot in 4L S-turning left, right etc...in about 4 inches of wet, slushy snow. It never engaged.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks ! I just found out that my 4 Lo won't engage
Old 02-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to engage my locker today after reading this thread. I had to drive about 50ft forward to get the locker to lock. It also took awhile for it to disengage. I wonder, is it just an electronic control module that controls the 4 wheel drive system and e-locker function, and does it have a high fail rate. I've read a few people having problem going 4 lo and using the elocker.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Mine took a long time to engage when I first used it. I did the locker anytime mod too, and thought it was broken because it wouldn't engage. Once I checked all my fuses and the mod wires to make sure it was right I tried again.

I had to push the button and drive back and forth in my driveway 10-20ft each way turning the wheel slightly each time.

I would turn off the radio and fans to see if you can hear the actuator click. It should make one solid click if it's trying to engage. If it's really quiet out and you hear nothing I'd say something is wrong with the actuator. Maybe check all your fuses before running to the dealer? It is all electrical after all.

Jedi:
Have you engaged 4HI, stopped COMPLETELY, shifted to neutral, pushed clutch to FLOOR, then switched to 4LO?

Mine was really anal about getting all of those requirements until I'd put more 4wd miles on it. Now I don't even need to shift to neutral as long as the clutch is to the floor and I'm stopped. It's a pain in the ass until you use it and break it in. I made a point of using it to back up grassy hills to avoid tearing up the lawn AND help break in the 4LO system.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
sidewinder is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SMSgt
sidewinder's Tacoma Gallery
I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I have to engage 4lo to use the freaking locker. Coming up my driveway tonight I couldn't crest into my garage. Light snow made one wheel spin and the open diff ensured I did nothing but slide backwards. This sucks. I'm kinda worried about it's off-road prowess now, my Honda Passport never had a problem getting up the driveway. I know, I know, it had limited slip, but it sure was nice to never have to worry about GETTING IN THE FREAKING GARAGE! And on Valentine night too, coming home from a date, you know its a sure thing ;-), but now my wife wonders what kind of sissy truck I bought and here I am posting to this forum rather than upstairs. Sheesh!

Where's that locker anytime mod! I'm doing it this weekend. Unacceptable.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
guys I was having the same problem, Took it in for the TSB and mentions the locker, the mechanic could not get it to work either. They replaced the locker and still would not lock. They then had to ordr me a knew 4WD CPU unit and install it today. If you light always flashes it has never locked in. The mechanic who is a friend said that its normal for toyota to put in a wrong relay or wrong CPU on the locker options....
Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #13
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I have to engage 4lo to use the freaking locker. Coming up my driveway tonight I couldn't crest into my garage. Light snow made one wheel spin and the open diff ensured I did nothing but slide backwards. This sucks. I'm kinda worried about it's off-road prowess now, my Honda Passport never had a problem getting up the driveway. I know, I know, it had limited slip, but it sure was nice to never have to worry about GETTING IN THE FREAKING GARAGE! And on Valentine night too, coming home from a date, you know its a sure thing ;-), but now my wife wonders what kind of sissy truck I bought and here I am posting to this forum rather than upstairs. Sheesh!

Where's that locker anytime mod! I'm doing it this weekend. Unacceptable.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html
Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
Burban05 is on a distinguished road
Burban05's Tacoma Gallery
there is a really cheap easy mod that u can do... like $20 at radio shack, u can bypass somthing and engage the locker anytime... search for it and u will find something, if not message me back and ill get u on the right track
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burban05 View Post
there is a really cheap easy mod that u can do... like $20 at radio shack, u can bypass somthing and engage the locker anytime... search for it and u will find something, if not message me back and ill get u on the right track

It's listed in the link posted above!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 AM   #16
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
As mentioned, the first time you try to engage it will take a while.

I did the locker anytime mod and it took me a few days before it finally locked. I even contacted the original poster who wrote up the mod. Sure enough after enough patience it finally locked up.
Now it will lock up almost immediately whenever I turn it on.

I too was pretty pissed off that you could only use the locker in 4-lo, so the mod was a must for me and is very easy to do. I would recommend everybody do it that has the off-road package.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I did a slightly better mod that requires no modifications to stock electrical or mechanical systems that ensures locker will engage no matter what when I want it to....... I bought a PreRunner
Old 03-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcaTaco View Post
I did a slightly better mod that requires no modifications to stock electrical or mechanical systems that ensures locker will engage no matter what when I want it to....... I bought a PreRunner

Isn't it limited to 5mph? Or no engaging after 5mph? Seems like I heard that limitation tossed around.

But that's one of the reasons for this mod. If a Prerunner doesn't need to be in 4LO (since it CAN'T) to use the locker, why do the 4wd's?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Isn't it limited to 5mph? Or no engaging after 5mph? Seems like I heard that limitation tossed around.

But that's one of the reasons for this mod. If a Prerunner doesn't need to be in 4LO (since it CAN'T) to use the locker, why do the 4wd's?
Can be engaged before you reach 5mph after that only limit is how fast you care to go. Been out in the light sand doing around 80-90 with the rear locked up and no issues.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcaTaco View Post
Can be engaged before you reach 5mph after that only limit is how fast you care to go. Been out in the light sand doing around 80-90 with the rear locked up and no issues.

Ok, that's what I thought. Gotta lock it under 5mph, so it's not really "anytime". I've locked mine at 30-40mph.