Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Battery Not Charging

Old 11-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
shaff33 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
shaff33's Tacoma Gallery
Battery Not Charging

Today I had a few places to run around to, and on my way home, I noticed that the "Battery" light came on. I figured that I would check that out as soon as I got home. However, I then noticed a few mintes later that the "ABS" and "Break" light came on as well. I pulled over and shut of the truck, thinking that if I started it back up, the lights would go off. Well, just the opposite happend. The battery was so weak that the truck wouldnt start. Needless to say, I had it towed to my machanic.

I am thinking the alternater, but the truck is an 06 and I wouldnt expect that to break already. I am hoping that it isnt anything more serious.

Did this happen to anyone? Does anyone know what may have happend?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It could be a fuse. Have all of the fuses checked.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Take the battery into autozone or something and have em check it. If the battery is good you'll know its something else...I would hope its not the alternator but who knows...good luck bud
Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also, its possible the battery connections may be bad....or a poor connection to the battery.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Also, its possible the battery connections may be bad....or a poor connection to the battery.
x2 check the cables and make sure there connected securely and make sure theres not a bunch of gunk and shit on em. Getta a wire brush and clean the hell outta the cable tips just for good measure
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the alternator went tits up and you were running off battery power to me. You can't go very far on battery power alone.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Sounds like the alternator went tits up and you were running off battery power to me.
That would be the #3. thing to check.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
It can easily be the first thing to check with a multimeter. For the vehicle to all of sudden lose complete voltage to charge the battery and it going dead the first thing I would check would be the alternator.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
HankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud of
Name: Hank
HankB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
Take the battery into autozone or something and have em check it. If the battery is good you'll know its something else...I would hope its not the alternator but who knows...good luck bud
You'll need to bring the battery to full charge before they can test it.

I can't check belt routing right now, but if the alternator is on a separate belt from the water pump, check it too. If it is slipping or broken that could affect charging. (If the same belt drives the water pump, you would overheat before you ran the battery down.)

Check all battery cable connections (as previously stated) including the big cable to the alternator and chassis ground connection.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do any wheeling? If that alternator get shitty inside it will go up on ya. I had to hose mine out and let it dry before it worked again.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
shaff33 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
shaff33's Tacoma Gallery
I talked to my mechanic today. He is a family friend who has his own car shop. He said that he has worked up lots of Tacoma's but never had an alternater go out. However, he said that he charged the battery and it held the charge. He was going to drive it home tonight and then back to work tomorrow. He said that when the alternater is running with a load, that then the alternater might start losing power.

The problem is, he needs to find if/when the alternater is not working before my warranty can be claimed. I just hope this isnt going to be a serious and on-going problem...

Thanks for everyones advise, I now have some great ideas to check out if this situtaion ever happens again.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Generally, when something like that happens , you automatically look at the batter terminals, as mentioned above . Make sure they are tight, clean, which really should not be a problem with a 06. Once the mechanic has it, you read the codes. Then check the output of your alternator to spec's, if thats good check the battery.
You never know about battery's , I saw a guy at Sears drop one off a shelf and he put it back up, you know that had to do some damage to the plates. Stuff happens, including alternators.....
Let us know what all the tests prove out.
Jeff 06,V6, SR5, 6spd
Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Sounds like the alternator went tits up and you were running off battery power to me. You can't go very far on battery power alone.
yep......................altermator............... ........ops,alternator
Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
crutch024 is on a distinguished road
crutch024's Tacoma Gallery
Its' probably the battery

Sounds similar to what happened to me. You can read about it here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ont-start.html

Good Luck!
Scott