Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Off-Road package - how is the highway, street ride quality?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Off-Road package - how is the highway, street ride quality?

I'm aware of the suspension TSB on the Tacoma, but I noticed the majority of 4x2 Double Cabs, short bed are packaged with TRD Off-Road. I don't go off-road much here in the Bay Area.

So, how is the TRD Off -road quality on the road?

On that note, which suspension / tire package do you think offers the best road manners? TRD Sport?

I would not be able to discern this on a test ride with some salesperson. Road manners take a while to really know.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not going off-roading and you want the TRD package then get the sport. The limited slip on the sport will come in handy more than the locker on the off-road. plus the sport is a little more stylish. as far as road characteristics, i honestly dont think there is much of a difference. if there is it is going to be very minor. The suspension between the two is identical but "tuned" differently. i think the off road has beefier front coils (dont quote me on that). But to answer your question the off-road performs extremely well on the road if thats the package your interested in. many of my friends have commented on how well it grips in turns and how smooth the ride is. you cant go wrong either way. if i didnt plan to offroad at all then i would hve gotten the sport for the color matched accessories and the hood scoop.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I'm happy with the ride quality, sound quality and handling or grip around corners.

Good stuff. Makes my tire change desire cause me strife. Don't want a worse ride after getting Firestone Destination AT's.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
pat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedpat's taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pat's taco's Tacoma Gallery
i have the short bed double cab and love how it handles on and off road.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Own a sport, but drove an identical Off-road for 35 miles. Really not alot of differnence.

Interior same, price similar. Want a locker and chrome or LSD color match with scoop hood?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
I have never been Off Road around where I live... Have only done it, down south and abroad. I still got the Off Road, for the OFF chance that I ever decide to venture out. Plus., I was not sold on the hood scoop.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
I test drove both the Sport and Off road when I made my purchase, The Sport definitely has a harsher ride believe it or not. The Off Road isn't that bad on the highway; then again it's a truck. If your expecting a Camry type ride, you'll be in for a disappointment.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a great ride on the freeway. One friend I took for a ride said she didn't realize a truck could ride so smooth. It revs higher than the TRD-Sport at freeway speeds since it has a different rear differential gearing (about 2500 rpm at 65 vs 2000 rpm for TRD-Sports).
Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
revn247 is on a distinguished road
revn247's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to revn247
I rode in my friends 05 dbl cab lb sport and it rode stiffer than my 08 dbl sb or. In fact it's softer than what I like. More car-like than truck. Hmmmm.....time for suspension lift!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
The suspension is extremely tight, which I love. Thats pretty much the reason I got the TRD Off Road. That and the fact that i go camping frequently.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
I test drove both the Sport and Off road when I made my purchase, The Sport definitely has a harsher ride believe it or not. The Off Road isn't that bad on the highway; then again it's a truck. If your expecting a Camry type ride, you'll be in for a disappointment.
I gotta disagree with you there. My truck has been to the dealer twice now (once cause a tree backed into me and second time for some warranty issues) and i got a Camry to drive both times. My opinion is that the off-road ride is very similar to the Camry. its a little stiffer but it still rides like a car in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
I think it's a great ride on the freeway. One friend I took for a ride said she didn't realize a truck could ride so smooth. It revs higher than the TRD-Sport at freeway speeds since it has a different rear differential gearing (about 2500 rpm at 65 vs 2000 rpm for TRD-Sports).
The Sport and Off-road are actually geared the same. hte manual and the automatic however has different gearing. i have an off-road auto and at 2000 rpms on the interstate i am cruising at around 72mph. everyone with the manual six speed revs higher than the auto but it has nothing to do with Sport vs. Off-road
Old 02-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
TRD Sport 17's, TRD Off-road 16's, SR5 16's all spin 30.6 diameter wheels with same rear diff gearing.

As ndcouch said, auto vs manual is where the difference is. 6th (.85)at 70 spins 2500rpm, auto in 5th (.72) is a few hundred lower.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #13
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I gotta disagree with you there. My truck has been to the dealer twice now (once cause a tree backed into me and second time for some warranty issues) and i got a Camry to drive both times. My opinion is that the off-road ride is very similar to the Camry. its a little stiffer but it still rides like a car in my opinion.

If you're comparing the ride to the SE, then I can see your point, but if you were to say our trucks ride like an LE or XLE, then I'd have to respectfully disagree. I will agree the new Tacomas do have a more car like ride than those of yesteryears but from someone who has driven nothing but the average car, the Tacoma will be a rough ride.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Why is there even a TRD off road option on a 4X2? Doesn't off road usually mean 4x4? Or is it just a poser thing?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
Why is there even a TRD off road option on a 4X2? Doesn't off road usually mean 4x4? Or is it just a poser thing?
Mainly for looks in the real world. But can give a 2x4 truck better off-road capability. A locked 2wd will through more crap than an open 2wd/

Many Baja trucks and off-road race trucks are 2x4 cause its lighter, allows more front travel, and most of all less components to break in the beating they take. And as the name applies, when 4x4 race trucks go for 'pre-run' recon of the race, they use 2x4's for less chance of breakage.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not that this applies to every 4x4 owner, but I think there are more "posers" with 4x4. They put thousands of dollars worth of stuff on their truck and then never take it off the pavement or even use it to its potential. I've even known 4x4 owners that hated to have mud on their truck!

I went with the prerunner with the locking rear diff over the 4x4 because; 1. Gets better gas mileage. 2. As little as I go off roading, and the fact that I never do any rock crawling or extreem mudding, I didn't see a point in spending the extra 3 to 4 grand.

But to answer the orignial post, I love the ride of the Off Road package.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #17

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
If you're comparing the ride to the SE, then I can see your point, but if you were to say our trucks ride like an LE or XLE, then I'd have to respectfully disagree. I will agree the new Tacomas do have a more car like ride than those of yesteryears but from someone who has driven nothing but the average car, the Tacoma will be a rough ride.
I have to plead ignorance on the SE LE and XLE options. i have no idea what the suspension options are on the camry

Quote:
Some of the most extreme off-road vehicles are 4x2. Maybe you hunt or fish and drive alot on trails but never see mud, then you wont need 4x4 but you will need the extra clearance and beefier coils. off-road does not mean 4x4. I rarely need or use mine but i just wanted in case i ever did need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
Mainly for looks in the real world. But can give a 2x4 truck better off-road capability. A locked 2wd will through more crap than an open 2wd/

Many Baja trucks and off-road race trucks are 2x4 cause its lighter, allows more front travel, and most of all less components to break in the beating they take. And as the name applies, when 4x4 race trucks go for 'pre-run' recon of the race, they use 2x4's for less chance of breakage.
took the words out of my mouth. When a baja team gets ready for a big race, they travel the track multiple times. but they dont want to use their expensive rig and they dont need 4x4 for desert trails so they use 4x2's with beefy suspension. These trucks are traditionally called pre-runners. they run the track before the race to get a feel for everything. Thats where toyota got the name "pre-runner" for their 4x2 off road truck
Old 02-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKADE View Post
Not that this applies to every 4x4 owner, but I think there are more "posers" with 4x4. They put thousands of dollars worth of stuff on their truck and then never take it off the pavement or even use it to its potential. I've even known 4x4 owners that hated to have mud on their truck!

I went with the prerunner with the locking rear diff over the 4x4 because; 1. Gets better gas mileage. 2. As little as I go off roading, and the fact that I never do any rock crawling or extreem mudding, I didn't see a point in spending the extra 3 to 4 grand.

But to answer the orignial post, I love the ride of the Off Road package.
very well said!! exact reasons i went with the offroad trd prerunner....., plus...locking diff is sweet, and i wasnt too damned crazy about the color matched parts on the truck or the hood scoop either.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
txtoy is on a distinguished road
txtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Maybe you hunt or fish and drive alot on trails but never see mud, then you wont need 4x4 but you will need the extra clearance and beefier coils.
So is the Off-road suspension taller than the Sport one?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #20
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
very well said!! exact reasons i went with the offroad trd prerunner....., plus...locking diff is sweet, and i wasnt too damned crazy about the color matched parts on the truck or the hood scoop either.
So, what does the locking rear differential really do? You push a button in the cab when off-road and it does what?