1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No coverage by Warranty BS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ThreeMan, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan [OP] Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Here is the deal. I went in for my 40k maintenance and told them about a problem I had found last week cleaning the windshield. At the botton of the windshield is the cowl that is attached by the weather strip. Well it is coming off, center first, and looks like there might be clips to hold it on...

They (Harrelson Toyota) called the warranty company, Fidelis I believe, and was given the resoponse that it is not covered because it is a "body Part". I have the Platinum Warranty, which was descibed as bumper to bumper, which I thought meant bumper to bumper. The paperwork is in a filing cabinet in storage, currently unaviliable until I can get to it.

Here are the questions:

Is the warranty company blowing smoke? Has anyone else encountered this? How was it resolved for you? Is it necessary to replace the whole part?

I thank you in advance,

G

2. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Without your paperwork-It's hard to say if they are feeding you a line of crap-

But I have never heard of any warranty that would cover a body part like trim or molding. That stuff is bound to vibrate and take damage just by being exposed to the elements-
    You may be SOL...but I'd get your paperwork out and see what it says.

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Just for clarification, this is a Fidelis Platinum warranty, or a Toyota Platinum warranty?

4. Nov 2, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I had mine replaced under warranty. Said he had 'seen that before'.

I'll copy the write up for you;

A C.S. Moulding on bottom of windshield loose - See SOP
    Cause: Plastic moulding separating
    743011 COWL SIDE TRM BRD ASSY, 1 SD R&R
    161 WT6
    1 55708-04061 Louver
    SUB-ASSY, COW
    fc: 62-40
    PART# 55708-04061
    Count: 1
    Claim type: RG
    Auth code.....

Good luck!

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    I found the Cantract. I have the Fidelity Warranty Inc. Platinum, which was a raping, that is another story...

Anyways, the only contradictoy statement is no replacement of body parts and or panels. They said this is a body panel, but I would suggest this is not. It is the weather trim/cowl for the bottom of the windshield, quite pertinent to the sealing I would bet.

Any thoughts?

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Couldn't tell you, but that was the part i needed replaced as indicated above.

Mine was a pice of cake through the manufacturer's 3 yr/36 month warranty.

My truck is an 09'.

7. Nov 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If it's just clipped in- I doubt it does much for "sealing" the window. The window is installed with a gasket on the inside that glues the window in and drains that are at the bottom of the window.

Best of luck tho!!

8. Jan 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    I hate to revive an old thread, but I have had the problem fixed.

First off the cowl as stated by the warranty company is a "body panel" which they state is not covered. Considering replies in this thread, it is a cowl or trim piece. I agree.

Leaving the warranty issue out for now, here is how it went.

HARRELSON TOYOTA Told me I needed to replace the part in whole, even though it had obviously just slipped off. In fact, it was still on for the most part. Thier remedy was to charge me around $380 for the piece, and then add labor on my dime.

SCOTT CLARKS TOYOTA'S remedy was put it back on, NO charge.

In retrospect, if anyone has the choice, do not go to Harrelson.

9. Jan 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    braggman7

braggman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '23 Trail Edition
    bought mine from scott clarks not too long ago. good to hear some good news coming from them. recommended.

10. Jan 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    WNYTACOMA

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    Good for you. I had the exact same issue and it was obviously a defective trim piece / cowl.

They were hardly shocked when i showed them it. Obviously they had seen it before.

11. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Neverhesitate to revive an old thread when you can add useful information!

Glav to hear that you found a good solution. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top