1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wierd brake issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by silversport, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    silversport

silversport [OP] Senior Moment

Member:
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport dblcab longbed
    factory tube steps, bed extender, bike fork mounts, magnaflow muffler, scangauge, pop-n-lock, backup camara, fumato valve, secondary air filter removed, AFE dryflow filter, hitch mounted recovery hook, fog light mod, map lights with dome light mod, protecta bed mat, Wet Okole seat covers
    The other day I was driving about 40mph and had to make a slight right turn and slow the truck a bit. It was a circular freeway entrance so I needed to slow down to 30 or so. I hit my brakes and the peddle did not depress (like it was stuck) and my truck was not slowing. So, I jammed my foot as hard as I could and the truck started hopping or jerking (is that the ABS?). Fortunately the truck slowed enough and I was able to make the turn, but it scared the heck out of me. It's been fine since then.

Anyone else experience this? I thought about taking it to the dealer but it probably won't repeat and I'll just waste my time. What do you all think?

2. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    maybe an air bubble in the line, have you had brake work done recently? check your brake fluid to and see if its low

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Could have been ABS working wiredly or VSC something like that thinking you were gonna roll.

4. Nov 2, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I had this happen in my Dodge, but it didnt recover. Cause was a disconnected vacc=uum line to the brake booster.

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    the hopping or jerking was probably the ABS seeing you were on pavement and jammed them on that hard. But i would be concerned why they didnt work prior to having to jam them. I would at least go get it check.

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    ToyotaPartsBarn

ToyotaPartsBarn Parts Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    NE Ohio
    It would be peace of mind if anything IMO.

7. Nov 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    silversport

silversport [OP] Senior Moment

Member:
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport dblcab longbed
    factory tube steps, bed extender, bike fork mounts, magnaflow muffler, scangauge, pop-n-lock, backup camara, fumato valve, secondary air filter removed, AFE dryflow filter, hitch mounted recovery hook, fog light mod, map lights with dome light mod, protecta bed mat, Wet Okole seat covers
    Thanks for all the replies. My truck only has 17K on it and Iv'e never had any maintenance other than oil changes and tire rotation. I think I'll take it in, though. I was just hoping maybe someone else experienced it. Come to think of it, I did have this happen about a year ago, but the situation was less drastic. I don't have VSC so it must be something in the ABS system.

Products Discussed in

To Top