1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting Level

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gerry Villalobos, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    Gerry Villalobos

Gerry Villalobos [OP] DesertRat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Help! Please guys, I need some good advise. I spoke with a local off road center guy. I told him of my problem with a droopy rear end when loaded and or hauling a trailer. He told me to stay away from air bags and suggested a helper spring type assembly. I want to keep my truck pretty much stock. I don't really want a lift but need the support for heavy loads. Also, I am thinking of upsizing my tires from 265/65/17 to 265/70/17, will I need to lift or can I get by as it is?

2. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Add a leaf in the rear. You can go to the dealer and talk to them about the TSB and hope fully you can get it that way.

Go HERE

3. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Gerry Villalobos

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Im out of warranty

4. Nov 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Then you can get one from toytec or wheelers for $70.

5. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    I just did this with my truck last week. I added a 2"AAl from Toytec and leveled the front with Bilstien 5100's set @ 2.5".The rides a little stiffer than factory but the ride feels more like a truck to me than a car (Like it should).Go for it you won't be disapointed.:thumbsup:

6. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    Gerry Villalobos

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    I feel like a dummy for asking, but what is AAL?

7. Nov 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    It's a ADD A LEAF spring which piggybacks to your leaf springs. Kind of the TSB solution that Toyota is doing for the harsh ride.Once it's in place the rear will be a little higher than where your out now so you might want to lift the front to level it off.:D

8. Nov 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    Gerry Villalobos

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Got it, thanks. Does the added lift destabilize the vehicle? I don't mind a subtle lift, as I intend to go a bigger tire.

9. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Mine didn't destabilize the vehicle it only raised it 2 inches,you just have to align the front end if you change the front struts/shocks out. Mine are just fine I will be changing the tires and rims to fill the wheel well out a little more probably when they wear out I only have 8500 miles on them so it might be a while. The only reason I added the leaf pack was to reenforce the rear of the truck which sagged when I towed my boat, it has the towing package and all and it still would sag on me.This was a quick fix to that issue.I also tried to get the TSB done at the dealership and they refused it because it was a 2009 and they didn't see any bottoming out.

10. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    why??

11. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    I don't know. I took my truck to the local Firestone who basically does all my maintenance for my vehicles and they first told me to put the airbags and after talking to the actual mechanic he agreed to stay away from them and just add a leaf to the pack. After I purchased my leaf and showed it to him he said that it was well made and that was all that I needed.I had purchased the front shocks from a member the Bilstein 5100's that adjust from 0 to 2.5" and per Toytec they recommended that I adjust it to 2.5 so I did and it looks good, I have no regrets so far.:cool:

12. Nov 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    Here's the pics after my actual lift, I didn't take any measurements the first pic is prior to the lift(Before):

[​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the AAL:
    [​IMG]
    The Billies:
    [​IMG]

13. Nov 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    ^^^How's the sag with a trailer??

14. Nov 3, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    The first picture above was taken with the boat attached.the rear sagged about 2-3 inches the boat while trailering it sat with the bow angle downward and when I cleaned it the water wouldn't drain to the back unless I unhooked it from the truck and jacked it up higher. I pulled up to the trailer and hooked up to it and it didn't really move/sag and sat at a better pitch than before.

15. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
  16. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
  17. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    Its what have on my Taco! And I love em! totaly makes up for the Crappy stock leafs!!! They are an AAL but they are adjustable!!! If you to know anything about them let me know!

Products Discussed in

To Top