Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

with a 2.5 inch lift do i need upper control arms?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
jake slatnick is on a distinguished road
Name: jake
jake slatnick's Tacoma Gallery
with a 2.5 inch lift do i need upper control arms?

im buying a bilstein 2.5 inch lift kit, do i need to also buy upper control arms? i am not going to be doing much if any offroading so would these have any importance because i know they are recomended.

any advice on why i should or shouldn't get the upper control arms?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Your not going to need the UCAs, but at 2.5" lift, ur truck will want to feel like its floating on the road, thats from when its lifted that high ur truck will not have the same stearing geometry as it did when it was stock.
The after market UCAs will fix any allignment issuse.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Use the search function. Lots of threads
Like he said, u will find ur answer on here
Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
so all it does is effect my turning? its not going to wear out my tires quicker or do anything bad to my truck?
basically why is it worth or not worth spending the 450 dollars
Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake slatnick View Post
so all it does is effect my turning? its not going to wear out my tires quicker or do anything bad to my truck?
basically why is it worth or not worth spending the 450 dollars
It will definitely wear out the tires. If you dont want that and you want your alignment to be correct then get uca's.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
how much faster do you think there going to wear out?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
magneticnick has a spectacular aura aboutmagneticnick has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
magneticnick's Tacoma Gallery
This is new news to me, so the spacers will cause caster/camber issues huh?

I HAVE read lots of posts about lifts on this website and I am fairly proficient when it comes to suspension and mods but I was not aware that the spacers would cause issues resulting in un-even tire wear.

Now that I know this, I will re-consider on my purchase. (I was thinking about spacers)

I am assuming this issues DOES NOT occour if a coil over shock is purcahsed does it??? I realize they are far more expensive but I think I would rather go that route than spacers and UCA's. Does any 2WD guys ever go with the Camburg 4" Spindles?

Sorry for the thread jack, but I feel this question is relevent to the subject.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
It's the lift itself that causes the alignment issues, not the means of providing lift. Coils vs. spacers does not matter.

The suspension is designed to work a certain way at a certain ride height. You change the ride height, you change the suspension geometry. The lift results in the lower arms sticking out farther than the upper arms. New UCAs are physically wider than stock ones and push the top of the spindle out, which helps correct alignment issues.

Please search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneticnick View Post
This is new news to me, so the spacers will cause caster/camber issues huh?

I HAVE read lots of posts about lifts on this website and I am fairly proficient when it comes to suspension and mods but I was not aware that the spacers would cause issues resulting in un-even tire wear.

Now that I know this, I will re-consider on my purchase. (I was thinking about spacers)

I am assuming this issues DOES NOT occour if a coil over shock is purcahsed does it??? I realize they are far more expensive but I think I would rather go that route than spacers and UCA's. Does any 2WD guys ever go with the Camburg 4" Spindles?

Sorry for the thread jack, but I feel this question is relevent to the subject.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #14
magneticnick has a spectacular aura aboutmagneticnick has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
magneticnick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
It's the lift itself that causes the alignment issues, not the means of providing lift. Coils vs. spacers does not matter.

The suspension is designed to work a certain way at a certain ride height. You change the ride height, you change the suspension geometry. The lift results in the lower arms sticking out farther than the upper arms. New UCAs are physically wider than stock ones and push the top of the spindle out, which helps correct alignment issues.

Please search.
Ok, I am following you now. So it would be safe to say that with almost any kind of lift you have to get a UCA??? And just for my own piece of mind, this does not happen on a Ford/Chevy b/c the lower control arms have adjustment cams that you can use to pull the lower control arm in to compensate for the new geometry.

I think I got it now.