Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Regular Cab 4x4 popularity

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
brickisred is on a distinguished road

brickisred's Tacoma Gallery
Regular Cab 4x4 popularity

Hi guys, I inquired about a 2010 reg. cab 4x4 (4cyl. manual with a/c and cruise, but nothing else, - $21k) which is scheduled to arrive at my local dealer next week. The salesperson suggested that I put a deposit down beforehand, otherwise it could be presold before it arrives. Is that a normal scenario for one of these trucks? I'm inclined to think they're trying to hook me by creating a false sense of urgency. Also, has anyone gotten $3-4k knocked off msrp on this particular truck? It's bare bones, so maybe that's too much to ask...
Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Cuseman18 is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Cuseman18's Tacoma Gallery
Last year when i bought my 09 Access cab 4x4 i put down $1000 to hold it. Idk if its common to presell, but if you plan on buying it atleast it will be there. Plus you can always get your money back. I was able to get $1000 knocked off, and a 7 year 100,000mile warranty
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
21K for a REG cab?

I got my 2009 AC 4x4 Manual SR5 for 23K!

I would think that pre paying a deposit may help as dealers may not get a lot of that model truck, and if it's the only one, it may sell!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
BlackRig has a spectacular aura aboutBlackRig has a spectacular aura about

Name: Craig
BlackRig's Tacoma Gallery
I had to put $500 down on my vehicle to "hold" it when I bought it. I'm not sure why, but I did it. It's just a way of them locking in the deal. That way, the truck is spoken for and they have a guaranteed sale. I think.

$21 seems pretty high for a reg cab. When I bought my 06, same truck (4x4 reg cab 4cyl), new in 06 I paid $17+tax. Granted that was in 06 but that price still seems high. What part of the country are you in? That may effect price also.

I wouldn't put money down on a vehicle I have not driven. Wait for it to get there, drive it, and then buy it. If it sells before you get there, then it wasn't meant to be.

My .02
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, guys. I told them to just call me when it comes in. I don't want to put a deposit down until I drive it.

Here is the msrp breakdown:
Base: $19305
Options: 1044
Manu, proc. handlg: 795
Total: $21,144

I got an "internet" quote of $20,415.56 but that still seems high. Only want to spend $16-17k total. But I'm not sure if I have any leverage if these trucks are rare. Keeping an eye out for used ones, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
I wouldn't put money down on a vehicle I have not driven. Wait for it to get there, drive it, and then buy it. If it sells before you get there, then it wasn't meant to be.
Exactly. I've been (sorta) looking for over 6 months so I'm definitely not in a hurry...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
tmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura abouttmat has a spectacular aura about

Name: Treavor
tmat's Tacoma Gallery
well if anything the regular cab prerunners or 4x4 are really rare. How many have you seen? so maybe that's why they want you to put a deposit down. Pictures when you get it!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
www.carsdirect.com is usually pretty good with pricing. It's pretty close to what you've been quoted. I've personally have not come across one when I did my search in buying my truck. I guess Toyota don't make too much of them because the dealership can move AC/DC's faster than they can move a reg cab 4x4's.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Flyinhigh is on a distinguished road
Flyinhigh's Tacoma Gallery
look around for a used one and save lots of cash i got my 07 reg cab 4x4 with 7500 miles on it for 15400 almost 2 years ago
Old 11-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Reaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud of
Army: Combat Engineer's
Reaper22's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickisred View Post
Hi guys, I inquired about a 2010 reg. cab 4x4 (4cyl. manual with a/c and cruise, but nothing else, - $21k) which is scheduled to arrive at my local dealer next week. The salesperson suggested that I put a deposit down beforehand, otherwise it could be presold before it arrives. Is that a normal scenario for one of these trucks? I'm inclined to think they're trying to hook me by creating a false sense of urgency. Also, has anyone gotten $3-4k knocked off msrp on this particular truck? It's bare bones, so maybe that's too much to ask...
How did you get cruise? Before I bought my used 06 I put a 2010 togather and cruise was not an option unless I jumped up to accsess cab.. (I'll have it on my 06 by friday though)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper22 View Post
How did you get cruise? Before I bought my used 06 I put a 2010 togather and cruise was not an option unless I jumped up to accsess cab.. (I'll have it on my 06 by friday though)
Don't know. It's just there, it's a $299 option...
Old 11-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Reaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud ofReaper22 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickisred View Post
Don't know. It's just there, it's a $299 option...
Ok I am putting factory cruise on for $140, could save yourself some money..
Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
BlackRig has a spectacular aura aboutBlackRig has a spectacular aura about

Name: Craig
BlackRig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok I am putting factory cruise on for $140, could save yourself some money..
Could save you money and chances are the one installed on your reg cab is a dealer install option. Not OEM. Just do the DIY mod.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=171992
Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
When i bought mine there was 4 , I figured i had time. 10 days later I went in , there was just the one. They DONT come down in price on reg cabs like the 4.0, in fact for $1500 I woulda been in a 4.0 AC 4wd. Tough choice, but I stuck to just what I wanted.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I shopped around for a few month and finally deciced to order a new '08 Access cab, 2.7L 4x4 since it was only about $1500 more than a used '07. On top of that the '09s were coming out the next month so I could work them a little. I found an '07 with all my requirements on the internet with 19K miles listed at $21K. I decided to go order from that dealer, ended up looking at the '07, sticker was $19.5K and got them down to $16500
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Dang good deal! I payed/bartered at $19500 if I recall, feels worth it, but still not sure what they were actually goin for.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
radost is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
radost's Tacoma Gallery
Regular Cab Popularity? Brickisred

I started looking for a Regular Cab 4x4 last week and got a little frustrated with the prospect of getting a new one at a good price in Central Ohio. I priced out (x2) 2010 4x4 Regular Cabs here and both dealerships came back with a price right around 20,700 each. No frills on either model. I found a 2009 4x4 Regular Cab (8k miles w/ some extras) on Carmax that I am having transfered to my local branch for 17,450. Before doing so, I asked the new dealers what they could do for me. Answer, take off about $500 from the above quote. I can only conclude, that here, they are moving their inventory quickly. I hate haggling, so when I asked the salesman to explain why a new 2010 model was worth 3,000 over the 2009 model with 8k miles, he gave me the line that it would have a better resale value later on. Guess, at least I now know what the depreciation rate is for a Tacoma as soon as I drive it off the lot.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #17
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
i got my 4x4 dclb for 24 out the door with only 13k miles on it... you might want to check used
Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
$21K is about average for a base 4x4 regular cab. Between invoice and MSRP, there is only about $1500 wiggle room, dealer incentives withstanding. Ten years ago, a $20K MSRP might have had $4.5K wiggle room.

When I haggled with my dealer, only thing they would budge on was my trade in and not on the purchase. They were pretty resolved that the truck I wanted was gonna sell to someone else that day if I did not buy it.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
My thing is let someone else drive the sticker off the window, you cannot do a U-turn off the lot and lose 3 to 4g's, Buy you a low mile used pickup with everything on it of do all the mods yourself like I did and be alot happier with $$$$ still in your pocket..
Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My thing is let someone else drive the sticker off the window, you cannot do a U-turn off the lot and lose 3 to 4g's, Buy you a low mile used pickup with everything on it of do all the mods yourself like I did and be alot happier with $$$$ still in your pocket..
thats what i think too