1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Large Tires / MPG / Onboard CPU Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoSter, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Nov 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    topdec

topdec Well-Known Member

Member:
    For me it was definitely more sluggish with the 265/70/17s vs the stock 265/65/17s. Even my wife who doesn't usually pay attention to details :rolleyes: noticed that there was a different sound to the engine with the bigger tires. See on even pavement the rpm would be lower than stock. On uphill, it starts out the same way but because I'm trying to keep the speed, it downshifts. I don't think mine has vsc.

2. Nov 4, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    TacoSter

TacoSter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
    Red Light Photo tickets are not moving violations in Chicago... just a money generator for the city
    Proved fact (In Chicago) that the photo ticketing has cuased more accidents than prevented... people are slamming on brakes and getting rear ended often to avoid the 100$$ fine

3. Nov 5, 2009 at 1:33 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    My stock tires were 245/65/16 and I went to 265/70/17....I have none of the issues you have mentioned, my handling greatly improved and my mpg went up about 1mpg which could have been due to engine break in and changing out the air filter.

I'm wondering what the load ratings are on each set you tried??

4. Nov 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    TacoSter

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    I think it was an option, but mine does not have VSC

245/65/16 is not a valid tire size according to tire rack

The load rating on the 265/70 according to tire rack is 113 T
    The 265/65 is 110 T

The load rating on the OEM Bridgestones is 110 S

Does Load rating higher on the 32's cause a problem?

5. Nov 6, 2009 at 2:27 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    That should have been 245/75...

Hmm, I was thinking more along the lines of 'P' rated, C-D-E rated for load ratings.

Some tires are 'P' passenger tires, some at 'LT' light truck tires which come in C-D-E load ratings. You can buy the same tire brand/model, same size and have a different load rating and weight.
    Yes, different load ratings will affect ride quality, mpg, etc.

But there are a lot of people running a heavier/stronger tire than what is needed for this truck and they are not having any of the issues you described.

I went with a P rated 32" all terrain tire to maintain my ride quality and mpg.

I have to think some of your issues might be related to your driving style.

6. Nov 6, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    I like to take off ramps kind of fast too, but I have tools in the truck so can't go to fast or else the slide and scatter affect takes over.

7. Nov 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    dave831

dave831 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seaside CA
    Vehicle:
    10 reg cab 4x4
    3" spacer lift in the front aal in rear, PRS dash gauge mod, cool air intake, headache rack, tool box, center console, black badges and relocated, Avid Off Road armor,BHLM, Collar matched Satoshi grill, rear diff breather mod, stop the seat belt beeping mod
    It would happen doing 30mph and our lovely Chicago stop lights can go from green to yellow to red as little as 5 seconds. Since they started photo ticketing, ya gotta stop or it's a $100.00 bucks a pop...got 2 already this year.

?????????????:confused:

8. Nov 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    TacoSter

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    I give up. I ask a question about can the ecu or whatever its called be adjusted, to compensate for larger tires. In other threads people mention that after they are done towing heavy loads, the mpg goes up cause the ecu or whatever its called compensates for it and takes awhile to re adjust.
    For those that offered constuctive advise, I want to thank you for your input. I do believe my abs may be out of sink, but with the stock size tire, they do not activate unless called for.. maybe the larger tire put it over the edge for however it is set.
    For those that wanna slam my driving habits... Take your typing finger and put it where the sun don't shine.
    I already posted in this thread that IN CHICAGO - RED LIGHT PHOTO TICKETING is NOT a MOVING VIOLATION.
    Granted if your not from around here, you would not understand chicago loop driving forced habits. if your not aggressive, you die. or take a cab cause your to chicken shit to drive in it. I have to, I work in this mess and my hours prevent me from taking the train. When I'm in the suburbs, yea, I like to go fast when I can ... so what?
    If you never have drivin fast or took a corner to quick... :yay:good for you. You can have 2 helping of cake tonight for being such a good role model.

Sorry for rambling. if you have some input that could help, please reply. if you want to comment on something you know nothing about... shut the fuck up and go to another thread. :amen:

Products Discussed in

To Top