Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A-Trac

Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
RX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the rough
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
A-Trac

OK really dumb question... What the h is the A-Trac and when do I use it. I have a 09 Access Cab TRD OR, 6 speed man.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
O shizzle!
Cryer is a jewel in the roughCryer is a jewel in the roughCryer is a jewel in the rough

Cryer's Tacoma Gallery
i'm not 100% sure either, but i believe it can only be used in 4-lo and if one wheel loses traction, or comes off the ground, the truck cuts power to that wheel and transfers power to the other 3 wheels... i think

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+a-trac&hl=en#

bassicly it gives you a ton more traction
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Yea, basically.

It's really pretty much like the Auto-LSD on all 4 wheels and it interacts and shifts torque around between all. I don't believe it cuts power though, just uses the ABS system to shift power around.

It works very well for what it is, I was crossing a big gully diagonally to test it. Front right wheel was off the ground, as well as the rear left wheel.

4 wheel hi/low = me just sitting there with tires spinning. Auto LSD, same thing, not enough traction with the rear wheel that was catching the ground.

I hit the A-Trac button and drove right on my merry way.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
RX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the roughRX2RIDE is a jewel in the rough
RX2RIDE's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! yep, pretty much somthing I will never use.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
for the record, this guy was not the worlds best driver
x2
Old 11-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
x2

Yea, watching the video I don't see how that wouldn't have happened even without A-TRAC.

When it kicked in for me there wasn't any violent shifting of torque from one wheel to another, it makes some noise but the progress forward was fairly smooth.

The way he was angled on the hill any traction loss at all would have made the front end slip and it was steep enough that I doubt it could have been helped at that awkward angle with the way the terrain was flowing.