1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hood Struts

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRD Larry, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Feb 15, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I'm in the process of ordering the Redline hood struts and in searching the forum I saw a post where you have to move the truck alarm for the hood struts to be installed. I have a 2008 access cab, sport package and was wondering if this is true. Nothing in the Redline instructions mentions this. I was wondering with so many of you guys having installed the hood struts if this is true. I might contact redline and see what they have to say. Thanks for the help.

2. Feb 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Post a picture of where the alarm is.

3. Feb 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you have the factory Toyota alarm?

I've got an 07 Sport access cab - but I have the standard keyless entry/emoblizer key but NOT factory alarm...

I installed hood struts and didn't have to remove anything.

4. Feb 15, 2008 at 7:56 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    Probably you will need to do this, I do have an '08 and there is a push-pin switch under the hood that might get in the way when the hood is closed and the hood struts are installed. Print their installation instrucctions and measure as they instruct, once this see if this push-pin will be affected by the installation.

Good Luck.

Here is the link... is a PDF file format file:
    http://www.redlinetuning.com/manuals/QL-TOYOTA-TACOMA_05+101.pdf

5. Feb 15, 2008 at 11:47 AM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    I just did this on my '08. I do not have the alarm, so there was no switch that I had to worry about. BUT the instructions on where the strut mounts to the fender is wrong.

It says to measure from the front fender bolt, but you need to measure from the MIDDLE fender bolt 8 1/4" back towards the cab.

Check out my pictures.

GA

6. Feb 15, 2008 at 2:11 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I have the keyless entry and what ever alarm comes with it. I thought they all came with a alarm. I know I have a little red light that blinks when the engine is off. I assumed this is the alarm.
    That is good info gavonder about where the strut mounds to the fender. How did you figure that out. Followed the instructions and then the struts didn't work properly? Found out the hard way?

7. Feb 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    When I held the strut up to the location, it became obvious that it would not work. Then I studied the pictures and I could tell where it should be. Luckily, I had not drilled anything yet!

GA

8. Feb 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Good job gavonder. You should let redline know there is a flaw in their instructions.

9. Feb 15, 2008 at 2:58 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    gavonder, where is Bethel CT. My daughter used to live in East Granby, CT. I haded to visit her in the winter. you guys sure get the snow.

10. Feb 15, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    If the flashing light is a car shaped one in the center console between radio and climate controls it's just the factory immobilizer. That's standard on all the trucks, but an actual alarm is optional.

11. Feb 15, 2008 at 4:58 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I thought it was all 05+ tacomas.

I have yet to hear about anyone with a newer tacoma without a chipped key, and I don't think it was optional when I bought mine.

Edit:
    Apparently not all trucks... Seems standard across DC's, but not available at all for base model RC's for example. Just did a quick search on toyota.com (which was COMPLETELY redone recently! lol).

12. Feb 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    I did drop them an e-mail about the instructions.

Bethel is in south west CT., near Danbury.

13. Feb 15, 2008 at 8:58 PM
    marvin02

marvin02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab SR5 - Black
    Top Dawg Folding Tonneau Cover, DIY Bed Light, Aux. Input for MP3 Player, OEM Bed Mat
    My '07 access cab 4cyl does not have the immobilizer and no chipped key. I went to get a duplicate key made at a locksmith's shop and his book showed that it took the key with the chip, but when I insisted it wasn't he tested it and his gizmo confirmed no chip.

14. Feb 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

yeah, I edited my post..... Interesting that the locksmith had the wrong info too.

15. Feb 16, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    I guess I just have the immoblizer and no alarm. Don't know the difference but plan to do the research.

16. Feb 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    I have the factory alarm and was going to sell the struts, but ended up moving the hood pin switch. You have to move it past the rubber hood bumper making sure it is past the bracket location you measure out on the actual hood. I went to re-install it and noticed there is no support under the fender section like there was in the original location, so I drilled through the outer and inner fender skin and put 3 washers between the sections to provide a bit of support and used the original bracket.

17. Feb 16, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    You have solved a question on how to do it, since I also have this setup (alarm pin switch) and I'm planning to add the hood struts. Is there enough wire to do this move? or did you add more cable to the already one installed?
    If second option, Do you have any pictures of setup?

Regards.

18. Feb 17, 2008 at 3:55 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I have the C2C hood struts and I have the alarm. I just moved the switch to the fender bolt closer to the headlights...it reached with a little extra wire. No big operation at all and works fine.

19. Feb 23, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Installed my hood struts today with no problem. Don't have the alarm so nothing to move. Thanks gavonder for the heads up on measuring from the center fender bolt. The instructions says measure from the front fender bolt but the picture shows the middle bolt. The hood struts are great, can't believe it took me so long to get around to them.

20. Feb 24, 2008 at 3:01 AM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered a set of struts from Redline. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top