Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hood Struts

Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
trd larry
TRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of light
Army: E4
Name: Larry
TRD Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Hood Struts

I'm in the process of ordering the Redline hood struts and in searching the forum I saw a post where you have to move the truck alarm for the hood struts to be installed. I have a 2008 access cab, sport package and was wondering if this is true. Nothing in the Redline instructions mentions this. I was wondering with so many of you guys having installed the hood struts if this is true. I might contact redline and see what they have to say. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Post a picture of where the alarm is.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Larry View Post
I'm in the process of ordering the Redline hood struts and in searching the forum I saw a post where you have to move the truck alarm for the hood struts to be installed. I have a 2008 access cab, sport package and was wondering if this is true. Nothing in the Redline instructions mentions this. I was wondering with so many of you guys having installed the hood struts if this is true. I might contact redline and see what they have to say. Thanks for the help.
Do you have the factory Toyota alarm?

I've got an 07 Sport access cab - but I have the standard keyless entry/emoblizer key but NOT factory alarm...

I installed hood struts and didn't have to remove anything.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
Probably you will need to do this, I do have an '08 and there is a push-pin switch under the hood that might get in the way when the hood is closed and the hood struts are installed. Print their installation instrucctions and measure as they instruct, once this see if this push-pin will be affected by the installation.

Good Luck.

Here is the link... is a PDF file format file:
http://www.redlinetuning.com/manuals...OMA_05+101.pdf
Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
I just did this on my '08. I do not have the alarm, so there was no switch that I had to worry about. BUT the instructions on where the strut mounts to the fender is wrong.

It says to measure from the front fender bolt, but you need to measure from the MIDDLE fender bolt 8 1/4" back towards the cab.

Check out my pictures.

GA
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
trd larry
TRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of light
I have the keyless entry and what ever alarm comes with it. I thought they all came with a alarm. I know I have a little red light that blinks when the engine is off. I assumed this is the alarm.
That is good info gavonder about where the strut mounds to the fender. How did you figure that out. Followed the instructions and then the struts didn't work properly? Found out the hard way?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

When I held the strut up to the location, it became obvious that it would not work. Then I studied the pictures and I could tell where it should be. Luckily, I had not drilled anything yet!

GA
Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
I have the keyless entry and what ever alarm comes with it. I thought they all came with a alarm. I know I have a little red light that blinks when the engine is off. I assumed this is the alarm.
That is good info gavonder about where the strut mounds to the fender. How did you figure that out. Followed the instructions and then the struts didn't work properly? Found out the hard way?
If the flashing light is a car shaped one in the center console between radio and climate controls it's just the factory immobilizer. That's standard on all the trucks, but an actual alarm is optional.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
are you sure on the part about all the trucks ?

or maybe on all trucks with the chipped key?
I thought it was all 05+ tacomas.

I have yet to hear about anyone with a newer tacoma without a chipped key, and I don't think it was optional when I bought mine.

Edit:
Apparently not all trucks... Seems standard across DC's, but not available at all for base model RC's for example. Just did a quick search on toyota.com (which was COMPLETELY redone recently! lol).
Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
She's Kickass!

I did drop them an e-mail about the instructions.

Bethel is in south west CT., near Danbury.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I have yet to hear about anyone with a newer tacoma without a chipped key, and I don't think it was optional when I bought mine.
My '07 access cab 4cyl does not have the immobilizer and no chipped key. I went to get a duplicate key made at a locksmith's shop and his book showed that it took the key with the chip, but when I insisted it wasn't he tested it and his gizmo confirmed no chip.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #14
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
My '07 access cab 4cyl does not have the immobilizer and no chipped key. I went to get a duplicate key made at a locksmith's shop and his book showed that it took the key with the chip, but when I insisted it wasn't he tested it and his gizmo confirmed no chip.

yeah, I edited my post..... Interesting that the locksmith had the wrong info too.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Wherever I May Roam
SteelCity will become famous soon enoughSteelCity will become famous soon enough

Navy: Navy Corpsman, LT, FMF (RET), U.S. Marines 4th LSB, Shock-Trauma Platoon
SteelCity's Tacoma Gallery
I have the factory alarm and was going to sell the struts, but ended up moving the hood pin switch. You have to move it past the rubber hood bumper making sure it is past the bracket location you measure out on the actual hood. I went to re-install it and noticed there is no support under the fender section like there was in the original location, so I drilled through the outer and inner fender skin and put 3 washers between the sections to provide a bit of support and used the original bracket.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
You have solved a question on how to do it, since I also have this setup (alarm pin switch) and I'm planning to add the hood struts. Is there enough wire to do this move? or did you add more cable to the already one installed?
If second option, Do you have any pictures of setup?

Regards.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 AM   #18
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the C2C hood struts and I have the alarm. I just moved the switch to the fender bolt closer to the headlights...it reached with a little extra wire. No big operation at all and works fine.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #19
trd larry
Installed my hood struts today with no problem. Don't have the alarm so nothing to move. Thanks gavonder for the heads up on measuring from the center fender bolt. The instructions says measure from the front fender bolt but the picture shows the middle bolt. The hood struts are great, can't believe it took me so long to get around to them.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:01 AM   #20
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Great Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
I just did this on my '08. I do not have the alarm, so there was no switch that I had to worry about. BUT the instructions on where the strut mounts to the fender is wrong.

It says to measure from the front fender bolt, but you need to measure from the MIDDLE fender bolt 8 1/4" back towards the cab.

Check out my pictures.

GA
Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered a set of struts from Redline.