Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I now dub these...

Old 11-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
I now dub these...

..."Phantom Tails" (hey...it works)

They took a little longer than I anticipated but I'm satisfied with the result. I used one coat of the Pactra window tint and 5 coats of clear. Only one coat of tint since I didn't want it too dark.

Here's a quick rundown of what I did:

This is what they looked like painted (pre sanded). You can see the "orange peel" effect in the clear

I then lightly wet sanded with 1000grit then did more with the 2000 grit. The goal here is to get rid of the orange peel look. The tails will look really cloudy when you get finished with this step. Here's a pic of it should look like:

I then used a rubbing compound and rubbed the heck out of them (I used Turtle Wax Premium rubbing compound FWIW). You'll start to see the shine come back when you remove the compound. Next I applied the wax and watched the shine really take shape. For reference, here's a pic of a finished taillight next to one with just the rubbing compound:

And the finished product on the truck:

UPDATE:

Quick update since I've recieved couple of PM's about this. The only prep I did to the taillights prior to painting was to spray some windex on the lights and clean them off with a wet cloth. The key is that they are completly clean. I did no sanding prior to painting.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
that looks pretty legit to me!!!
I need to redo mine bad

so sand
rubbing compound
wax
paint
clear
in that order?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
That looks good!!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
CSULB socal
dunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the sheddunkhi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig Sirois
dunkhi's Tacoma Gallery
wow yummy
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
ramjm_2000 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Biomedical
ramjm_2000's Tacoma Gallery
Nice and well done.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMan View Post
Looks nice.

Order...

Tint
Clear
Sand
Polish
Wax
Thanks guys!

Three man has the order right
Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMan View Post
Looks nice.

Order...

Tint
Clear
Sand
Polish
Wax
alright thanks. when i did mine the first time i did it out of order...I know what im doing this weekend!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Nice! When I used to use that stuff, one coat didn't do anything for me.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good I want to do mine
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #12
Rude Boy |><|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbwoy7s View Post
nice. did they get noticebly dimmer @ night?
Haven't seen them at night yet but I can only imagine it would have to be somewhat dimmer. It's not much tint so I don't think it'll make a big difference.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
very nice work.to each there own.not my taste for sure.good way to get rear ended imo.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Gunga will become famous soon enoughGunga will become famous soon enough
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
very nice work.to each there own.not my taste for sure.good way to get rear ended imo.
I agree. I guess I'm too old to get the concept of darkening the taillights. Is this legal or don't you care?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How? They aren't that much darker then stock. It's a ver suddle tint he put on.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
well ive seen SOME that r dark.and being a commercial truck driver that is a bad mix for sure.any alteration to the color of lights isnt a good idea.its hard to tell how dark yours r but i just dont think it a great idea.just my 2cents
Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #17
Rude Boy |><|

Quote:
well ive seen SOME that r dark.and being a commercial truck driver that is a bad mix for sure.any alteration to the color of lights isnt a good idea.its hard to tell how dark yours r but i just dont think it a great idea.just my 2cents
I see your concern and the same was mine when I initially thought about doing this. The difference with mine is the tint is really light (only one coat applied) and it didn't make but a subtle difference in the appearance. The red in the housing is still plenty visibly. Mine are about the same shade as these stock Chevy Trailblazer tail lights:

I figure if an auto manufacturer is putting a similar shade tail light on thousands of their vehicles then I should be ok
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
I think we should meet up so you can help with mine :-)
Old 11-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
socaltaco2 is on a distinguished road
socaltaco2's Tacoma Gallery
EXCELLENT JOB
Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #20
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
were do you get the tint spray