1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stealership troubles / bad tires???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RV7Garage, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Nov 8, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    I agree with your guys. Great city/hwy tire. Quiet and actually grip really well. However, I did have studded winter tires installed last week for the impending snow.

Cheers.

2. Nov 8, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage [OP] R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Complaint opened with Toyota, we'll see what happens... :rolleyes:

3. Nov 8, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I don't which is worse. Those with the Sport models say the Dunflops are the worst tires ever, and those of us with the Off-Road package claim the BF Goodrich Rugged Fails are the worst tires ever produced. I just replaced my Rugged Fails (got 39K out of them, never rotated them at all) with some Bridgestone AT Revo 2's, so far they seem to be great tire. Another idea is if you can't get your current dealer to resolve the issue, take it to another toyota dealer if possible. Again I'd still call Toyota croporate. Many people have complained about your situation, Toyota may agree just to replace your tires all together and be done with it. Good luck!

4. Nov 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    HouTacoSR5

HouTacoSR5 New Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4
    I ususally just lurk here looking for information but this issue I just have to chime in on. This is the single biggest problem I've had with my '07 DC 4x4 non-TRD. Bought this truck new in Aug. '07 with the stock Dunflops on it and the first thing I noticed was the infamous steering wheel vibe at 60-70mph. Took it back to the dealership a couple of times and the vibes in the steering wheel would just NOT go away. Dealership replaced with Yokohama Geos at 4K miles and the vibes for the most part went away but were still detectable so I decided it was just the truck and I was going to have to live with it. After a tire rotation and alignment at about 23K the vibes had gotten back to the point of being as bad or worse than they were when the truck was new. I was tired of messing with the dealership at this point, so I went to my independent mechanic and explained to him what was going on and asked what he thought could be causing the vibes. His response was "it's your tires". He had never steered me wrong before...so with my checkbook in one had and a jar of Vasoline in the other, I went to Discount Tire and had a set of Michelin LTX tires put on. Guess what...vibrations completly gone. Absolutly NO vibes whatsoever with about 5K miles on the new tires. Truck drives and handles GREAT.

5. Nov 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    JONNY TACO

JONNY TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA.
    Vehicle:
    DARK METALLIC GRAY -DOUBLE CAB SHORT BED
    ADVANTAGE TONNEAU COVER,TOYOTA BED LINER, POP&LOCK TAILGATE LOCK, SIDE TUBES, WIFE IN PASSENGER SEAT
    hense the name- [ dun lap is the sound they make.]:D

6. Nov 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    general61

general61 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR
    How many miles does your taco have on it now? Maybe a different way around this is to call Dunlop Customer Service, start a claim and go see an authorized dealer...... Those tires do have a ride compliant warranty for the first 2\32nds of tread. Just a thought since the dealer is not being helpful........Good luck

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I was going to suggest this...Long story short, I had the same issue, even brought in road force paper work showing mine were way out of spec, they wouldn't do anything. I filed a complaint all the way to corporate, wrote multiple letters including all copies of paperwork, after 2 months they agreed to pay me and said they check was being mailed, it never arrived and I called back and they said they decided not to pay me! I'd have used the manufacturer warranty, but the dealer f'd that up for me.

8. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage [OP] R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Good idea, taking the claim to Dunlop- I'll try it. My truck only has 2600 miles on it.

Called my douchebag salesman today, he says "can I call you back?" ...4 hours later and the sound of crickets chirping is all I hear.

This type of treatment from the dealer is definitely enough for me to want to explore other manufacturer's options when the time comes for the next vehicle. Fuck you, Libertyville Toyota!

9. Nov 10, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    My 09 DC SR5 Prerunner had a 50-55MPH vibe that didn't want to go away. I replaced the wheels at about 300 miles and the vibe was still there. Researched a bit and found out this was pretty common problem with the AT20s. My experience was that the 245/75-16s were crap. Wet traction was nasty, dry was not much better, but it is a 2wd truck, and I had a bad squeal when going around a sharp corner. Tire would heel over I suspect. Yes, air pressure was at recommended level.

Got tired of it and upgraded to a set of 265/70-16s. Vibe is gone, corner squeal is gone, annoyed owner gone. Too bad Toyota hasn't figured out that these tires suck.

10. Nov 10, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    I don't have any problems in my 09, it has Bridgestones. Duncraps will never come close to this truck. I have taken them off all my vehicles.

Products Discussed in

To Top