Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Sport and Speedway Blue - questions about it

Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Sport and Speedway Blue - questions about it

OK, so I'm getting kinda googleyed over a local dealer's double cab short bed and long bed, both with TRD Sport package, both in Speedway Blue, which I'm drooling buckets over. Trying not to get ahead of myself

How is the street ride quality / practicality of the Sport suspension/tires in stock form? I don't off road, just tip-toe into a dirt bike park.

Is the Speedway Blue kind of a thief magnet?

Just looking for the one vehicle I can live with for a long time. I already ride a street and dirt bike which keep me going.

Any goods/bads appreciated.

thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
supra90140 is on a distinguished road
supra90140's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to supra90140
I think the ride is amazing. When I first test drove one I was like man this thing rides nice. Of course it was a big step up from a 92 ranger tho. I dont know about the thief magnet thing. I hope not.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is a great ride. I had a '99 SR5 4 wd before and the '08 rides much better and handles much better. I don't offroad either, so I really like the TRD Sport.

GA
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think that the speedway blue is any more of a thief magnet than ony of the other colors, and perhaps even less because it does stand out from the pack so much. As for the sport package handling, I can not speak to that, as I have an off-road package truck, but for what it's worth and not intending to insult anyone, take a long hard look at the mirrors and the rear bumper. The mirrors are color keyed but the brackets are not, and that bothered me, and the rear bumper did not seem to take the paint the same as the rest of the truck so it looked a little "off" to me. Just some things worth considering, and some of the reasons that I bought an off-road instead of a sport. That and I do off-road, so the locker may someday save my ass.

just my $0.02
Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Just got mine, still cant believe I own it. I finally have a vehicle Im proud of. It is definately a worth buy. Great Power, lots of fun to drive.

Not sure on Theft issues, but I always say if someone wants something badly enough they will get it, and thats why we pay for good insurance.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
deer_pop is on a distinguished road

deer_pop's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the same boat as roxspin72. Tight ride. I have wanted one of these trucks for a long time. I am very happy so far, with the TRD Sport.

The Speedway Blue is awesome. I was between the blue and the red when I was ordering.

I don't know if it is the Tacoma or the color or what but everyone in a North American truck will want to pass you on the inside or outside, ride your ass whatever...I guess they are kinda pissed for picking trucks that don't look as good, perform as good or hold their resale as good, reliability etc....

Happy shopping
Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

OK, so I'm getting kinda googleyed.....Lmao!.....
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Who cares!! Get the speedway blue because you LOVE it!!

Ya know, all my life I've had to settle on buying someone else's used car/color. Over the years, I've always oogled over the royal blues and how much I loved that color (on other vehicles). Any new vehicle I've purchased - just never thought about it cuz they didn't have that color available. Last March, when we were looking at the taco's - I saw the speedway blue and HAD to have it!!!! My husband thought it was too 'bright' and flashy. He wanted me to see one in person (versus the brochures). I saw one sitting in a parking lot and - knew I had to have it!! My husbands like.... "Are you sure?"

YESsssssssssssssssssss!! I can't say it enough - I LOVE THE COLOR!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Ya know, all my life I've had to settle on buying someone else's used car/color. Over the years, I've always oogled over the royal blues and how much I loved that color (on other vehicles). Any new vehicle I've purchased - just never thought about it cuz they didn't have that color available. Last March, when we were looking at the taco's - I saw the speedway blue and HAD to have it!!!! My husband thought it was too 'bright' and flashy. He wanted me to see one in person (versus the brochures). I saw one sitting in a parking lot and - knew I had to have it!! My husbands like.... "Are you sure?"

You are right Jan! ! When that blue is in your blood you just have to have it! !! When I got mine in Sept. 07 my wife wanted me to get an 07 dark Blue because it had a good price but I would not have anything to do with it, I had to order an 08 to get the "Speedway Blue" Don't you just love it

Don G
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
onelifeoneride is on a distinguished road

onelifeoneride's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to onelifeoneride
this is my third taco 99, 04 and now 06...it rides the best..sometimes on the highway i feel like im floating ,cadillac style...the blue stands out and i think having a truck with this color is a personality thing...aside from that i have the long bed...finding parking spaces in the mall is usually a bit of a pain but you just have to park a little out the way..especially if you dont want people nipping your doors. the turning radius is surprisingly very good. im in construciton so ive driven alot of rams and silverados over the years and the tacoma is close to the same length when u have a double cab long bed. i love it other then the mpg seems to be quite less then my previous two which were also v6 trd. in any case the truck is hot and the interior is very slick and modern. im a huge fan of the outlet in the bed, ive hooked up the forman grill once already
Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
supra90140 is on a distinguished road
supra90140's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to supra90140
I know you said you don't do any off roading. but i do and so far the truck does just fine. I dont remember if the limited slip comes with the sport package or if i ordered with mine but that would help while off roading or driving in the snow. Altho i dont quite trust the tires that came with it that much. But i havent got stuck yet.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

It's definitely The color for me.

I've got 1/2 the cash saved for a double cab. I hope they don't drop that color for 2009. I have no idea how availabilities on Tacomas tend to run throughout a model year.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifeoneride View Post
ive driven alot of rams and silverados over the years and the tacoma is close to the same length when u have a double cab long bed. i love it other then the mpg seems to be quite less then my previous two which were also v6 trd. in any case the truck is hot and the interior is very slick and modern. im a huge fan of the outlet in the bed, ive hooked up the forman grill once already
I'd really want to keep a new Taco in the garage. I plan to keep it a long time and believe the exterior would hold up better garaged at night (I know this sounds like a Prima Donna, but hey). I better get a short bed, cause that DC long bed is .... long in a garage!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I have a black off-road so i cant really attest to alot of whats being said, but i will say this. both TRD packages handle very well, unfortunately the tires on both packages SUCK! you will will love your truck but change the tires as soon as you are able
Old 02-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
As for the sport package handling, I can not speak to that, as I have an off-road package truck, but for what it's worth and not intending to insult anyone, take a long hard look at the mirrors and the rear bumper. The mirrors are color keyed but the brackets are not, and that bothered me, and the rear bumper did not seem to take the paint the same as the rest of the truck so it looked a little "off" to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post

just my $0.02

I didn't like that euro look either.

I have to actually agree with what everyone else is saying about the speedway blue. It wasn't regionally available in my area, so I had to drive a bit (yea...8 Hrs!) to get one. They [Toyota] geographically limit the colors, but don't have a winter kit option? But that’s another thread all together.
Now back to the original question, The TRD packages are totally different from each other. If you're just "tip-toeing" off the Hwy, the sport is the choice and they handle well on the Hwy from the few overnight test drives I had.
Long vs. Short bed is a totally personal choice. The DC long bed wasn't an option for me, as it would not fit in my garage; likewise, the DC short bed was too small to haul my bike around, as I didn't want the rear tire on the tailgate. So that was the determining factor for me. So if you can read through the cryptic BS I've just posted, it really comes down to how your going to use your truck!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Taco™
Blu08Taco is on a distinguished road

Blu08Taco's Tacoma Gallery
This was my first new car (i'm 21), and I finally got the color that I wanted. I keep mine washed at least once a week, and it always turns heads in the Florida sun. I can't wait to start modding. Oh, and it rides great. I don't do any serious off roading, but there is on hell of a horrible dirty road on the way to the range that the taco handled nicely.

*edit* oh, and the hood scoop is the shit. It's what atracted me initially.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Just pull the trigger, you won't regret it, none of us have, get your truck in the color you want, to hell with anyone else who says different, oh yeah it's your truck payment.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:51 AM   #19
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
I read somewhere that the most stolen color of all vehicles is Silver. So...our Silver streak brothers are most at risk.

Of course that could be because they are also the majority by far of all colors.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #20
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
I read somewhere that the most stolen color of all vehicles is Silver. So...our Silver streak brothers are most at risk.

Of course that could be because they are also the majority by far of all colors.
I heard the least stolen truck was the 2.7 liter, cause its too weak and slow to run from the cops if you get busted. BOOYAH!!!!

Sorry Viper, i couldnt resist, its been a long time since i've ragged on you and i felt like you were due