1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB bumper has killed my Toytec coilovers :(

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by freedomriding, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:14 PM
    freedomriding

freedomriding [OP] FREEDOMEDIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    Eibach 2.0, STT PROs, Summit Dakars, JBA
    Recently installed the ARB bumper and my front suspension (Toytec/Bilstein 5100 coilovers) feels and sounds like its being hammered by every bump in the road. Called Doug from Toytec and he said no one else has complained about their coilovers failing after installing the ARB bumper. Aside from these coilovers, my 06 Taco has all original factory front suspension components and only has 27k miles. My coilovers are about 6 months old as well.
    Anyone else experience this situation or have any ideas why my front end is hurting?

2. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM
    Faskev

Faskev Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did you add the adjustable coils to existing 5100's or did you buy the complete Toytec Coilovers? Since you have more weight on the front you should add more preload to the springs by adjusting the collar but they definitely shouldn't bottom out or whatever you are describing.

3. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:38 PM
    freedomriding

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    I bought the ultimate kit that comes with coilovers pre-assembled. I tried to crank them up, got about half a turn in before the spanner bent. They were preset to 3" from Toytec when I orderded them. Definitely seems like they're bottoming out.
    Guys from 4wheelparts said these coilovers cant handle the bumper/not designed to. I just ordered OME coils/shocks to replace the Toytec

4. Nov 7, 2009 at 11:51 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    ome with the 886's would be your best bet!

5. Nov 8, 2009 at 2:40 AM
    Faskev

Faskev Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's crazy dude, there's a few guys running these coilovers with all-pro and ARB bumpers. Longbow, Longhorn, Neubs and SilverTaco07 all have Toytec coilovers with either All-Pro or ARB bumpers plus winches! I understand you are bottoming out but the coilovers are either defective or something else is wrong. 4wheel parts probably told you they weren't designed for an ARB bumper so they could make a sale. Anyway, I hope the OME resolves your issue!

6. Nov 8, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    freedomriding

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRDOR w/KDSS
    I'm wondering if something else in my suspension components has failed??
    I've stood on my ARB bumper, jumping up & down, listening for the same banging sound, hearing nothing. Checked for any loose bolts/connections and still nothing. Only hear it when hitting bumps/potholes. Wasn't doing it till I put this bumper on. True test will come when I get the OME installed

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    Faskev

Faskev Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good to hear you figured this out in your other thread. Your bumper hitting your fenders would make a huge bang especially when you hit bumps. Enjoy your bumper it looks great especially with the built in fogs!

8. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    I hope you ordered the 886 coil rather than the 885 or 884 coils. The 886 is designed for a front bumper with a winch.

9. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    misterquad

misterquad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shawnee, KS
    LMAO!!

Doug also told me nobody ever complained about their coilovers before too.

10. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme

I installed my All Pro bumper with Bilstein 5100 and the ride a little ruff, but not horrible. And that is on stock TRD Off Road coils, if you went the 885 route you should be fine. From what I have heard they will handle the weight of the bumper and a winch just fine. ;)

Just for comparison, I put my 5100 on at 1.75" and with the bumper on it sagged a whole 3/8 of an inch :eek: if that. No one could tell the difference if you asked them too.

However, with the new OME springs and shocks you may need UCA's because of how high the lift is, unless you already have them.

11. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Faskev

Faskev Well-Known Member

Member:
    He found the cause of the problem, his ARB bumper was hitting his fenders. It had nothing to do with his suspension.

12. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    :facepalm:

13. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I had the same problem on my All pro and I put some washers in between the frame and the bottom of the bumper so it would be lowered. No more rubbing issues :D

But I still get a funny metal clanking sound when I go over bumps, I think it's my D shackles.

14. Nov 9, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    ramjm_2000

ramjm_2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVa (Alexandria VA)
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab BSP
    5100's Rear TSB Dominator slider/step bars Eclipse AVN 2210 Nav/XM Leather Upgrade TRD Skid Century Royal Sheel Armor Tech Custom Rear Bumper
    Can't be good for the fenders :confused:

15. Nov 10, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    MIKEjONES

MIKEjONES Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD
    3'' Lift-Flowmaster exhaust-jvc head unit
    I have the same kit on my truck when I ordered mine the were two types one for heavy duty bumpers one without did they ask you before you bought the 5100's

Products Discussed in

To Top