1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing '05 bench seat with '07 buckets

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco Tuba, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nov 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    Taco Tuba

Taco Tuba [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    Little Red Truck
    undercover
    After some searching in mods and previous posts I didn't see any specific answers for some of the following issues so I was hoping to get a little help.

I recently purchased these really cool bucket seats from a very nice guy on C'list. Thankyou Jerry in Paintsville, KY. I'm told they are from an '07 taco but I have no way to confirm this. I installed the seats a couple of days ago, (had to get them in right away.) Now I need to deal with some compatibility issues so they can work better in my '05 reg cab.

Some good stuff:

- My orig. bench does not have an air bag and the bucket seats do not have air bags. I checked on this before I bought them.

- I found all the necessary threaded bolt holes in the bed of the cab after cutting back some carpet.

- They are SOOOOO damn comfortable.

Some issues:

The seat belt receptacles mounted on the bucket seats are too small for the '05 belt clips. Is it common in this case to just remove the bucket seat belt receptacles to get those out of the way and just continue to use the '05 belts that are bolted to the floor in the orig. configuration? Maybe cut away the molded plastic belt protector to orient the bench seat receptacles better? If I do that I'm concerned I might have to fish around for them in the dark. Right now they stick out and twist in a funny way that wasn't a problem when the belts were running through the holes in the bench seat. I left all the seat belt wires hooked up.

The wiring harnesses on the bucket seats do not match the harnesses for the bench seat. Obviously there are some differences.

Before removing the bench I unplugged the seat sensor on the passenger side. There are no flashing lights as a result of this. This is the thin plastic film doodad that is glued between the foam and the seat cover right where the passenger would sit. I was hoping to slide this sensor into the new passenger seat but the bucket seat is too tightly upholstered to do that. The new seat does not have a sensor like that in there. If I just leave this sensor unplugged will there be an issue with the dashboard air bag or is this just a seatbelt sensor?

There is a sensor mounted under the bench seat on the right front next to the seat rail that has a magnet in it and a plastic cover that looks like a heat sink (plastic heat sink?). I took it off the bench and left it wired in. I couldn't really remount it in the original configuration because the mounting plate on the bench seat is welded on the rail. I used a plastic tie connector to hang it from the new seat rail. The wire for this doesn't have a clipped disconnect so I couldn't disconnect it. Does anyone know what this is? Something to tell the computer the seat position? Any help would be appreciated.

The bucket seats have 4 sensors each underneath, one in each corner next to the rails. I don't know what these are. I've decided to ignore them since the main harnesses don't match up. Maybe this is an X runner feature? the manufacture date sticker on these for some reason reads '04...?

These are the main issues:

Seat belt orientation
    funny magnetic sensor
    passenger butt seat sensor/airbag
    Any other issues I should be addressing esp. with regard to safety?

I know I ask many questions. All input is greatly appreciated.

Grasshopper.

2. Nov 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    maddog79

maddog79 Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab
    I swapped my bench for buckets out of a 07 trd sport. What I did was remove everything from the bench seat, wires, belt buckles, airbag sensors, everything that was wired in. I removed all wires and buckles from the buckets and replaced them with the stuff from the bench seat. The air bladder in the bench seat is easy to remove but you have to take the passenger side bucket apart to put it under the foam. I hid the wires under the carpet and all sensors work. If you have any questions send me a message.

Products Discussed in

To Top