Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealership Scratch Repair Cost?

Old 11-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
rwilso03 has a spectacular aura aboutrwilso03 has a spectacular aura aboutrwilso03 has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: USAFA - Class of 2011
Name: Russ
rwilso03's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership Scratch Repair Cost?

So, I finished washing my truck today and found a scratch running from my rear passenger door through the taillight. It definitely looks like someone keyed the damn thing (Why the hell someone would do this I have no idea). My first thought is, oh it doesn't look too deep, so I went and purchased some rubbing compound and gave that a shot. Well, it helped but the scratch is still there. I have a feeling that it is into the paint but i cannot really tell. It is deep enough that my fingernail can kind of catch it.
My truck is just barely over a week old and I already have a huge scratch down the side of it.
Oh and now i just found a giant rock chip on the edge of the hood that looks like it is down to the metal. Why the hell is my luck this bad?
In any event, how much do you think the dealership's body shop would charge to have these fixed and what do you think they would have to do in order to fix it? Thanks guys for any input you have because I am really frustrated right now!!

Here is a pic of it, kind of hard to see cause i took them with my cell phone:
Old 11-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
i have a few of those from the trails i have been on i got a bunch out with a good craftsmans buffer but i need to do it this week i can see some
Old 11-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
BlueXenon is on a distinguished road

BlueXenon's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer will send it to the body shop they use. Whatever the body shop charges them, they will mark up and charge you. Just take it to a body shop yourself and get an estimate.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Don't take it to a dealer. Just find a good body shop and see what they will charge.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
fuck the dealers. like everyone else said,they are going to send it out and tack on money
Old 11-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Just fix it yourself, Its a weak clearcoat scratch that doesn't reach the paint. Macguires makes a good scratch removal product
Old 11-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Just fix it yourself, Its a weak clearcoat scratch that doesn't reach the paint. Macguires makes a good scratch removal product
X2 my truck got keyed this summer. I takes lots of elbow grease to get scratches out.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Or just live with it. If you plan on wheelin' it, you'll have a lot like that and you'll be proud of them.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
Or just leave with it. If you plan on wheelin' it, you'll have a lot like that and it will become a pride.
Same, I have three of those right where the sockmonkey bedside decals are going and that is the only reason I want to get them out first haha
Old 11-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
tacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of lighttacoman101 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: scott
tacoman101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
fuck the dealers. like everyone else said,they are going to send it out and tack on money
x2 the dealers with rob you
Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Ask the dealer and some shops. You'll never know, the dealer might be cheaper.

I had mine (not Tacoma) done by the dealer for $300. The body shops quoted me between $400 to $800. The dealership is Boardwalk Porsche.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTacoms View Post
Ask the dealer and some shops. You'll never know, the dealer might be cheaper.

I had mine (not Tacoma) done by the dealer for $300. The body shops quoted me between $400 to $800. The dealership is Boardwalk Porsche.
I would call that an exception to the rule. Dealers usually suck for pricing stuff WAY too high.

That doens't look all that bad. Try a self polish or take it to a good detailer and see what they say about it...They may be able to buff/wax it away.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
brickisred is on a distinguished road

brickisred's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a new Mazda 3 that was delivered to me by a dealer from another town. Right when I got it, I noticed a big fat scratch on the hood, presumably from a rock on the highway when the guy drove it up.

On a whim, I stopped into the body shop at my local Mazda dealer and asked them what I could do about it. I hoped to get some free service, but expected to just get a quote. I mentioned that I had just bought the car, but didn't say where from. Since it was basically just a clearcoat scratch, they offered to buff it out for me while I waited. After the guy was done, he touched up a couple other spots, and mixed me up a small jar of touch-up to take with me. I asked him how much I owed him and he said no charge. Admittedly, it's not perfect, and probably needs an all over buff to get all the swirl out, but I'm not too worried about it. It's worth a shot if you feel good about your local dealer.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
wmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nicewmb67 is just really nice
wmb67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I would call that an exception to the rule. Dealers usually suck for pricing stuff WAY too high.

That doens't look all that bad. Try a self polish or take it to a good detailer and see what they say about it...They may be able to buff/wax it away.
I agree with Brunes...try a detailer first. Many scratches can be buffed/polished out. Check out autopia.org (detailing website) Search for user name kapinnn. His work is posted on autopia and he produces high standard, high quality work in the Denver area. wmb67
Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
Can you feel the scratch when you run your fingernail over it?

It doesn't look like anything to me. It obviously isn't through the clear coat... The kinda scratch you get from a briar or something in the woods. Some scratch remover or polish should get it off.

But keep in mind that it takes a lot of buffing. You can't just rub it on for a few seconds and expect it to do anything.

And make sure you use a quality microfiber cloth and keep it clean and don't put too much pressure. This way you won't get any nasty swirly marks.

Be extra careful though, your truck is really new and the paint probably hasn't fully cured underneath yet (takes two-three months). Might wanna wait a couple months before you do anything.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
rwilso03 has a spectacular aura aboutrwilso03 has a spectacular aura aboutrwilso03 has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, that was the part that was worrying me was that i could feel it pretty significantly with my fingernail.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
Was it just rough/textured or a obvious dip in the paint?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
Its a pretty good "dip" in the paint but it is hard to tell if it got to the basecoat.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
sucks man, sorry to hear.

If buffing it out well still doesn't do anything, the touch up paint from toyota is a two sided marker, and half of it is clear coat. You could try filling it in with the clear coat side if you wanted.

I'd probably go to a detail shop and get their opinion before anything. Going straight to toyota or a body shop is gonna = $$$$.

Also have the option of filing a police report and saying someone keyed you and having your insurance pay for it.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Do you by any chance know how well those pens actually work if used correctly? I can't seem to find any pictures on the internet of the results of them.