1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SRS warning light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Maverick904, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 4:39 AM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    it could also be a plug under the seat that came un-plugged. i had the same problem(light came on) took it to the dealer and within 15 minutes they had it fixed. so this may be something worth looking at. look for the wire looms that have yellow tape on them and make sure they are all plugged into something.

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes a bad seat sensor could cause that. Not wise to bypass anything in the ABS system. You could cause serious bodily harm to yourself or a passenger should an air bag deploy without having your seat beat on.

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Took a muliti meter to the whole thing this morning afterposting and the seatbelt sensor seems to have no power. Hopefully its as easy as fixing a disconected wire from the back side of the plug.

The only one I would bypass is the weight sensor. Reason being there really is no point to it. If the car is in a collision there is someone in the drivers seat 98% of the time.

Also I never don't wear my seatbelt, so I would consider bypassing that.

4. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The weight sensor tells the SRS ECU if the seat is occupied and arms the air bag. If you bypass it into thinking the seat is occupied and you have a childseat or adolescent child in the seat and it deploys during an accident, they we be injured worse than if it didn't deploy.

5. Jul 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    wolfeye

wolfeye Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'll look into this tyvm.

6. Jul 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    well mine did the same thing at about 40k outta warrenty haha, i took it in to the dealer they told me $450 parts+labor i said fuck thats safty equipment fix. they told me only seat belts were covered i said fuck that. i told them give me your service managers name and number and your GM's name and number they will be hearing from BBB and the attorney generals office. then they told me only seat belt were covered that they didnt have the service managers card and they dont have a GM. i said fuck that i walked into the service managers office took a card off his desk and walked straight to my truck and left not even 30sec later they called and said they would fix it for free :D

stand your ground dont let the stealership eff with you!! i believe that if air bags are standard safty equipment it should be covered no matter how long you have owned the damn car/truck!!

7. Jul 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Right, but there isn't going to be a child driving the car. Right now even if there was it would be worse then bypassing the sensors since I am on a 5x12 mile island with no Toyota dealership.

8. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    wolfeye

wolfeye Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, got the call from the dealer, they quoted me $500 to replace that spring/wire thing in the steering column. My truck has 65,000 miles and I have Toyota Extra Care which doesn't cover that little part.. WTF. This truck just pisses me off sometimes.

9. Aug 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    mds2004

mds2004 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner
    I have been driving with my light on too.

10. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    Mine comes on every other start up or when it sits over night. The head unit also doesn't come on when I first start the truck; it will about 10 minutes into the drive. Then randomly get tired and shut back off. Oh yes, the clock does the same thing at the same time. I have just learned to ignore these things about my truck, or else I might get really pissed off.

11. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    SRS is under the powertrain warranty.

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/warranty.html

Also, even if it wasn't I'll tell you first hand that's the best $200 you'd ever spend if you get in a wreck.

12. Aug 3, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4x4 5 speed
    OME 884's/90021, MD Dakar/Nitrocharger.
    got mine fixed for free haha, but i do agree i was worried about gettin in a wreck the whole time it was on

13. Jun 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    racemybuick

racemybuick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hopatcong, NJ
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 lots of goodies finally
    K&N filters, 3" front lift toytec, aal with spacer in rear, bull bar, 4" tube steps, ecgs bushing successful!
    bringing up an old topic here... my SRS light came on this week... 1801 is the code. I teach high school autoshop, and I had my students test out a nice new piece of technology we got though a grant this year...(Snap-On VERUS). The VERUS has mitchell shop-key loaded on it as a trial, and all signs, notations, and yadda yadda stated clock spring for this... BUT wait! I purchased a Toyota extended warranty, called the "Gold Package." I say to the students, lets leave this one to the professions and let the warranty work for once...

The dealer wacks me 106.93 for diagnosis, then goes to tell me that it is the seat belt sensor, and that is not covered under my warranty.... The gold package clearly states shoulderbelt and sensors are covered... But does that exclude the latch?????? I thought this was rediculous, and on top of it all, they turned out the light, told me on the phone that it was a history code, and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I get my recipt (after hours because I was at work), and they put in the notes "found faulty seat belt assembly...customer quoted 400.97 for repair" Are you kidding me???? I was not quoted ANYTHING, and they told me on the phone, nothing seemed wrong and the code was a history... But wait!!! It gets better... I back out of my spot...no light... I pull up 2 car lengths, and the effing light comes back on!!!!!! This is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So... What to do now? Obviously the service manage will be on the phone tomorrow, but what do I do??? If I give him the same spiel im putting here, he's gonna say "the warranty company says its not covered", and Im stuck with a light on in the dash, a lying service rep, and a crappy oil changer who turned my idiot light off and didnt check anything???? this blows, and this is the exact crap I teach my students NOT to put up with and NEVER do themselves as future mechanics!!!!!!!! Damn im pissed.

John:confused:

14. Jun 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 [OP] Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    Really dont know what to tell yah... My situation got fixed with only minimal damage.

I took my truck in and they decided it was necessary to take apart my interior. I then get called back and they tell me that it is the power cord to my amp for my sound system, and that they cant do anything because it is messing with the signal. They told me that I need to move it and see if that fixes the problem.

So I get charged like 50 bucks for them to take apart my interior and put it back together. I never did touch my amp cord and guess what, I havent seen that light since....

15. Jun 8, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    my light just came on...lets see what i laern tomorrow. 06 with 89k miles no warranty here.

16. Jun 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I had my airbag light on for some time and I got into an accident and they both still deployed....I didnt think about until after the fact...I was like holy shit....but the seatbelt saved me anyways lol

17. Jun 9, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4

I hope you get it worked out. If not just remember this when you go to buy your next vehicle. A lot of manufactures are making improvements to win customers back.

18. Oct 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    tmbrwlf730

tmbrwlf730 Well-Known Member

Member:
    el paso, tx
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 Double Cab Long Bed
    added oem skid plate, oem tow hook, avid offroad side steps
    Mine just came on the other day. I'm going to check the wiring under the seats and hope that fixes it. I think dealerships over charge. I went in for my inspection sticker and decided the get the truck looked at just cause I drive almost 150 miles from one town to the other a few times a week for school. They wanted to charge me $70 just to change my air filter. Another $70 to change my air cabin filter. One the list of quotes they also wrote how long they think it would take them to do the jobs. For the air filter they estimated a total of 45 minutes from the start of the job till finish. 45 minutes my ass, I bought the filter myself and like any capable person got it done in less than 1 minute. They get out of hand over charging people because they assume the person is not capable of doing the job themselves.

19. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    racemybuick

racemybuick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hopatcong, NJ
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma SR5 lots of goodies finally
    K&N filters, 3" front lift toytec, aal with spacer in rear, bull bar, 4" tube steps, ecgs bushing successful!
    I'm sure there is a whole new topic that I ignored to this fact, but since this is directly related, I figure bring up this old topic to get everyone their due...

Toyota has this massive recall for all tacos and their spiral cable, 05-early 09 models...

if you paid for a spiral, you will be reimbursed, but only if you ask for it.

if you are in my shoes, you call the better business bureau and consumer affairs for poor business practices. My clock spring "spiral cable" was the issue the entire time, not the seat belt.

oh well... another mark in the "don't let students work for this guy" for Toyota World of Newton, NJ.

good luck everyone!

John

20. Aug 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Who do you ask for a refund??
    Got a number or something?

Products Discussed in

To Top