Notices

Opinions on Step bars

Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Master of the Universe
Flycatcher is on a distinguished road

Army: Platoon Leader, 2nd PLT Co A 1-128 Light Infantry
Flycatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on Step bars

I want to put on some step bars and would like to get an idea of what others are using and what they paid. Brand, cost and where you got them if you don't mind. Wife is stumpy so I can easily justify this mod.

The $400 I just dropped for stereo upgrades on the other hand...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'd go n-fab steps for road use only...and if ur gonna do any offroading, i'd say to get some sliders
Old 02-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently awaiting shipment on some Shrockworks sliders. Due to clearance issues specific to my truck I'm having them shipped unassembled in bare metal, but they offer their bolt-on sliders fully powder-coated and ready to install.

Good protection, and they're an excellent jacking point if you have a hi-lift. These would be overkill if you're strictly on-road, but they're an option.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Taco Addict
JackRabbit is on a distinguished road

JackRabbit's Tacoma Gallery
One word.. Craigslist. I got some brand new chrome sidetrax nerf bars off of craigslist for 150 bucks. Wife is prego so I was forced to put them on... ;-)

Bolted right on.. which was nice. Only thing was these mounted to the body and not the frame. That kinda worried me but, thats where the stock holes were on the Taco so I assume the engineers at Toyota thought this one through.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I went the same route my wife is pregnant so i bought side steps you can see them in my pics to get an idea i bought them on 4wheelonline.com fast shipping with no probs.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Jackrabbit is right, as cheap as you can go, b/c after a while you're going to start to hate them, always banging your shins, they are on the company truck I drive... hate them !!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Master of the Universe
Flycatcher is on a distinguished road

Army: Platoon Leader, 2nd PLT Co A 1-128 Light Infantry
Flycatcher's Tacoma Gallery
And here I thought this was something most people liked. Maybe I need to talk my way OUT of this mod. That would be a first. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
here are mine. i got the set off of ebay, for right around $120, back close to 2 years ago. the tube steps still have the polished,mirror finish to them, as they are polished stainless steel. cant really remember the make, but i think they are a copy over of westin or something relatively close. pretty stout also.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I have Westin's I bought from someone on TN and, while they aren't the most functional (the only time I use them is to clean the roof), they do protect from car doors.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #10
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
I got the stainless step tubes from the stealer when I bought the truck. These are nice bars. They look very classy and they are high enough so not to effect the ground clearance too much, but low enough to actually do some good. I think they were like $500
Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
Tacomojo is on a distinguished road
Tacomojo's Tacoma Gallery
I Loathe Door Dings And Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
they do protect from car doors.
This is the main reason I got them for my truck. I'd much rather have the black powdercoated tubes take the hit instead of that gorgeous Speedway Blue paint covering rather thin sheet metal.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #12
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomojo View Post
This is the main reason I got them for my truck. I'd much rather have the black powdercoated tubes take the hit instead of that gorgeous Speedway Blue paint covering rather thin sheet metal.
Amen on the thin sheet metal. I bought the factory tube steps, but they were so close to the cab, they were impractical. Good for deflecting debris that was thrown up by the tires. I found someone selling their steps off of an x-sp and put them on my truck. My wife loves them!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #13
sidewinder is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SMSgt
sidewinder's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Westin oval tube steps. You can find prices online, shop around. You also have to buy the mounting kit, I think it was $150.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on Step bars-taco2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #14
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
I Hate Door Dings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomojo View Post
I hate door dings and Nerf Bars do protect the door of trucks especially from car doors. I have had them on 2 or 3 trucks. One was an Expedition and my wife hit a light pole base when turning too sharp. Bent the Nerf Bar up but did not even touch the truck or the rear tire. Had to remove the Nerf Bar, but saved the paint.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Just had the Shrockworks sliders installed. I had them shipped unfinished and without the mounts attached so they could be fit with my cage mounts. Here's the finished-yet-unpainted product:

From the underside:

These are bolt-ons, in case anyone was worried about installation difficulties. They're also available fully finished and powdercoated.