Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Weird sound from front end around 60 and up mph

Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Weird sound from front end around 60 and up mph

This has been going on for a while now but im just nervous because I dont know what it could be. Once I hit about 60 mph I hear this weird squeaking/high friction sound. Sorry I can not explain the sound any better than that. But I have no idea what this sound can be. I have a 2007 regular cab 4x4 with 30,000 miles on it. Has anyone had this problem before or know what it could be.

Thanks Mike
Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Pulley, bad belt, wheel bearing, brakes, ?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
GeoTaco
Warren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutWarren Thompson has a spectacular aura about

Name: Warren
Warren Thompson's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel bearings or your brake pads are loose. Probably your brake pad springs are loose, rubbing on the rotors??
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
X2!!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
windshield stripheard about that on here before.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Its not a constant sound. It will go for a second stop for a second go for a second stop for a second. Do you guys think i should bring it to the dealership just to check out. The warranty goes up to 36K correct?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #8

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
And i cant tell if its coming from a specific side. And the pitch of the sound might get a little higher when as I go faster above 60 mph.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #9

Marines:
Yes it does and it sure wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
rdwarrior will become famous soon enoughrdwarrior will become famous soon enough

rdwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
if it sounds like nails on a chalkboard it could be your window cowling.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #11

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
it does sound like nails on a chalk board! But it sounds like its coming from my front end not my windsheild. But that may be the problem im going for a spin in a little bit and listen a little more closely a see if it is.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
Well there IS a windshield TSB for a high pitched squeaky noise at high speed :P

Some people around here described it like slowly letting air out of a balloon to get that squeaky sound.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #13

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
then i dont think that is it. The sound sounds like high friction metal rubbing. almost like a grinding sound but squeeky.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD View Post
then i dont think that is it. The sound sounds like high friction metal rubbing. almost like a grinding sound but squeeky.

If it really is in the engine bay it could be a number of things you're not going to get a for sure answer unless you take it somewhere... imo anyway.

I'd say take it somewhere asap too before something really messes up.

Also you might could test to see if it is the windshield thing anyway by pushing out on the windshield in different areas when you hear it and see if it affects the noise any.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a defective pulley or a worn belt.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
check your front brake pad squealers first.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #17

MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
So I brought my truck to the stealership and go for a test ride with a tech. and the sound was not there. I was so mad. Now i probably have to go back tomorrow when i start hearing the sound again. And he was giving me shit about running bigger tires.