1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diesel coming to Tundra's 2009

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by surfsupl, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Feb 19, 2008 at 10:08 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  2. Feb 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i have no desire for a V8 in a truck my size. if i wanted a V8 i would have gotten a tundra for almost the same price i paid for my Taco. However, i would love a diesel

3. Feb 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  4. Feb 19, 2008 at 11:47 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Currently Toyota has no plans to put a diesel in the Tacoma. They are reserving diesel engines for higher end vehicles (Tundra and Seqouia) for now.

Reading between the lines: they want the biggest profit margin possible. Since Americans typically won't buy a diesel car or small truck but will buy a large diesel truck, that is what Toyota has decided to produce.

:frusty:

5. Feb 19, 2008 at 7:24 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Screw them. If they don't come up with a diesel, I'll have no choice but to buy a Dodge diesel. I must have a 12,000 pound hauler and nothing but a Toyota will make me happy. If Toyota can cough up, what's second best?

6. Feb 19, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    So what's the problem? You're talking about buying a Dodge which offers diesels only in full size trucks while Toyota will also be putting a diesel in a full size. You don't really think you'd be able to tow 12K pounds with a diesel Tacoma, do you?

7. Feb 20, 2008 at 1:54 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I thought we already discussed this. He's Canadian.

8. Feb 20, 2008 at 5:25 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, they are coming out with a 4.5L TD Tundra. That will get your 12,000 pounds going. Just wait 18 more months. :p

He's got a point. A diesel Tacoma wouldn't haul much more than 6,000 pounds.

9. Feb 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    These days, I wonder who has more problems: Canadian or Americans...

10. Feb 20, 2008 at 6:51 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    haha. Classic :)

11. Feb 20, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I saw that but doubt a 4.5L diesel can haul 10,000 pounds. You need over 5L to haul 10K. About 10K would suffice to haul my Skid Steer around but 12K would be a nice buffer to have. I'm going to buy a used Dodge diesel (for trailering only) for the time being and will wait and see what Tundra has to offer and see how gas/diesel prices act over the next few years. I wouldn't buy the Tundra Diesel the same year its released but a year or two later after most of the bugs are ironed out.

My coworkers Dodge lease is coming up and I might take it over. I love that Cummins engine man. In my line of work, many emergency generators are powered by Cummins engines and they are very reliable hence my 2nd crush for the Dodge. :burnrubber:

What's a good American source to check truck prices?

12. Feb 20, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Shut up fluffy! :mad:

13. Feb 20, 2008 at 6:58 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    America.

14. Feb 20, 2008 at 7:02 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    ............:rolleyes:

15. Feb 20, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    The cummins engins are awesome, unfortunately they come in a dodge truck. Dodge has had worthless drive trains for years now. They keep putting out these powerful engines but the drivetrains and transmissions cant handle them. my uncle and grandfather are both avid dodge drivers. mainly only for the style and reputation, but they both admit that they are shitty trucks. Go with the Ford Heavy Duty, much more reliable depending on the year and size of the diesel engine. i have two friends and they both have them and can tell you which engine models blow up and which ones last. i'll have to ask them if your interested at all.

no, you shut up

HAHAHAHAHA! Man i almost fell in the floor when i read that. you are pretty good and making fun of TheMaster, maybe i dont hate you as much as i though.... :)

16. Feb 20, 2008 at 10:28 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Oh crap. There goes my Dodge idea. Glad you told me about the problems. I hate Ford like you wont believe. Almost as much as I hate you. You only have two friends? Now, why does that not surprise me? Let me know which Ford models are the one's to buy.

No no, you shut up :mad: after you give me the Ford models.

17. Feb 20, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, thats the problem with dodge, great diesel, shitty everything else. i'm not a huge ford fan but i think they make the best looking heavy duty truck out there. I texted my friend with one and asked him for the years and engine types that dont suck. and no, i have many friends, i just have two friends with F250 heavy duty diesels. they both love their trucks. i will admit that they sound good and look good but i wouldnt want to own one. I texted peter (he is the more knowlegeable out of the two) and i'll let you know what he says when i hear back from him. he hates texting and talking on the phone so i may have to wait till the next time i see him.

And no, you shut up, after i give you the models.

P.S. how do you feel about chevy HD's?

18. Feb 20, 2008 at 1:41 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    I'm anti Big 3 due to reliability issues. I'll consider the best out of the worst. I'll probably use the truck to plough snow at my weekend home so look into that for me too. I'll mail you a piece of Canadian bacon you keep begging me for. :canada:

By the way, when Hillary wins I'm treating you Canadian bacon and eggs in Canada. :D. You can drive my diesel truck over.

19. Feb 20, 2008 at 2:09 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Since the thread is already derailed...

One sunny day in 2009, an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue, where he'd been sitting on a park bench. He spoke to the Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Hillary Clinton." The Marine replied, "Sir, Mrs. Clinton is not President and doesn't reside here." The old man said, "Okay," and walked away. The following day, the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine, "I would like to go in and meet with President Hillary Clinton". The Marine again told the man, "Sir, as I said yesterday, Mrs. Clinton is not President and doesn't reside here." The man thanked him and again walked away . . . The third day, the same man approached the White House and spoke to the very same Marine, saying "I would like to go in and meet with President Hillary Clinton." The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked at the man and said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row you have been here asking to speak to Mrs. Clinton. I've told you already several times that Mrs. Clinton is not the President and doesn't reside here. Don't you understand?" The old man answered, "Oh, I understand you fine, I just love hearing your answer!" The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said, "See you tomorrow."

20. Feb 20, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    TacoSteelerMan

TacoSteelerMan Active Member

Member:
    Arkport N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Toyo,Taco, with 263,000
    dry K&N cold air kit BONE STOCK
    I know a little about the Dodges,as stated GREAT engine.Cummings was going to back out of the Dodge contract if Dodge insisted that their plastic valve body transmissions were used,because there JUNK...But Dodge let Cummings setup a different configuration for their diesel transmissions thus giving a quality trans behind the diesels...But all the front end parts are still junk(do not put a plow on a Dodge built after 94)..Now come on guys give some credit to the axels Dana 60 front and rear on many 2500 series trucks Thats as big as they come in any HD pickup...But to back up that super size axel DUMB Dodge gives the trucks 355 gears and 265,16 tires to compensate the high ratio AND THATS THE WAY THE COOKIE CRUMBLES...LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top