Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Blown shocks AGAIN!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
frozen_taco will become famous soon enoughfrozen_taco will become famous soon enough

frozen_taco's Tacoma Gallery
Blown shocks AGAIN!

Well I've come to conclusion that the billsteins are weak as hell, wasnt really impressed when I first got them and now I've blown them out for the second time in 2 years. I know our killer weather up here has to do a little with it but I've been so easy on them and havn't hit any major bumps. Well any way I'm lookin for a new set of shocks I was wondering if anyone has recomendation's on a tuff strong shock thats still pretty smooth and nice? I heard Monroe has like a new heavy duty shock made for our trucks so I'm kinda leaning towards that but theres gotta be others out there.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Fellow Alaskan

50 or 60 below is too cold for anything. Down here in the Los Anchorage we don't have the cold like you, but even so I hope I don't run into the same problems.

Take heart, warmer weather is on the way, we have been above freezing for 2 days now, but the roads are like skating rinks. I would rather have the cold and snow.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've been running Doestch Tech Prerunner shocks on my jeep. Not sure how they hold up to cold weather, but they hold up to hellish offroading/rockcrawling.
They're pretty inexpensive too.
http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/

Rancho's are crap - I've never had good experience with them. They wear out quickly and leak.

I've had good experience with OME"s on my old tacoma. Again, not sure how they'd hold up to cold weather and I never offroaded hard with them. They're a bit pricey.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
frozen_taco will become famous soon enoughfrozen_taco will become famous soon enough

frozen_taco's Tacoma Gallery
Ya its gettin pretty warm up here too, hit 40 yesterday hopefully all the bad crap is behind us. Thanks for the info Janster I was lookin at ranchos too but sounds like you've had some bad experiences. I gotta make my decision soon, drivin with a blown shock is annoying.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Old Goat
Don G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shedDon G is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st MAW  MAG12  VMA-251,  (1953)
Don G's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Frozen! ! You should try the kind of shocks they use on the "Monster Trucks" Either that or don't abuse them so much! !!

Don G
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Old Man Emu or the Monroe.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Find some lifetime Monroes, so you only have to buy them once
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen_taco View Post
Well I've come to conclusion that the billsteins are weak as hell, wasnt really impressed when I first got them and now I've blown them out for the second time in 2 years. I know our killer weather up here has to do a little with it but I've been so easy on them and havn't hit any major bumps. Well any way I'm lookin for a new set of shocks I was wondering if anyone has recomendation's on a tuff strong shock thats still pretty smooth and nice? I heard Monroe has like a new heavy duty shock made for our trucks so I'm kinda leaning towards that but theres gotta be others out there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Rancho's are made by Monroe, and If you want to read about the new Rancho's (Rancho Quick Lifts) that level the front, as well as the rear 9000/90000 series (that do not affect level), go visit Tundra Solutions for a few minutes. Go to the 07-08 Tundra, as of now (12:14 EST 02-15) it is still on page 1-2. I bought both F & R back in Nov '07 for my Tacoma, but decided not to use them. Two owners of Tundra's did installs yesterday. I would say go to the Monroe/Rancho web sites, but good info is lacking.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen_taco View Post
Ya I've had my truck for 16 months and have already blown my rear shocks...all I can say is that is brutal!